Wedding programs? Favors? Aisle runners? Is this OK?!

cabanners

Hi everyone! I'm so happy that I've stumbled onto this site! You all are going to make this wedding planning process much easier.

I am getting married on the Carnival Pride on November 7, 2010. I am both excited and overwhelmed by everything. I want to have a "traditional" wedding even though it's going to be taking place on a cruise ship. I'm just wondering how everyone else is incorporating details of a more traditional wedding.

-Are you planning to have an aisle runner and flower petals?

-How about wedding programs?

-Are you bringing wedding favors to the reception? What about personalized napkins?

-Will you add your own decorations (e.g., silk flowers at the reception)?

-For former cruise brides: Did the reception feel rushed? I just can't wrap my mind around having an hour reception when it's usually 4 hours!

-What about a guest book?

I guess I'm just unsure of how much of my own personality and style I can add to this wedding! Any input/pictures you can provide would be greatly appreciated!! :o

I am having a 2 hour wedding... 1 hour buffet, and I added 1 hour of bar service too.

We are not having traditional favors, because I have never received a favor I felt was worth the money that was spent on it. Therefore, we're making a donation to the Avon Walk for Breast Cancer in our guests honor. We will put cards out to explain this.

We're not bothering with programs (I don't think). We will have a guest book, but instead of a traditional guest book, we made a photo book with our engagement photos, and left a lot of blank space around our pictures for our guests to write on.

I'm not getting married on the boat but on the beach, but I have a custom aisle runner made for me. Also custom made wine glasses at the dinner on the ship, kinda like a mini reception for my guests. Plus this way it was their favor and they were super cheap. I think 3 bucks per glass.

I would say make it as personal as you want it. You only have that one day. I like to be creative and make sure my wedding isn't a cookie cutter image of anyone else's.

I agree with lifeguardjen. It can be as personal as you want it to be. I'm just doing the bare bones, ceremony in the chapel with just our immediate families. We're not even doing a reception-instead, I'm changing into a much more casual dress after the ceremony, putting flowers in my hair, we'll all go eat in the dining room then go out dancing that night. However, I've seen lots of people on here talking about receptions and programs, personalized flowers, etc. So it really comes down to what makes you happy! You definitely don't want to regret anything so I'd say go with your gut feeling :)

The great part about a cruise wedding is you can stay traditional if you want or since most of your guests won't have been on one before you can make it what you want. Here is what I did:

-Are you planning to have an aisle runner and flower petals?

I did neither of these, an aisle runner is possible but some of the rooms don't allow for a traditional aisle, for instance where I walked I had to turn and walk at an angle then up stairs and turn again. Petals are possible but I didn't anyone who could be my flower girl (unless I used a 14 year old haha)

-How about wedding programs?

I wasn't planning on it but I ended up making program fans that came out cute IMO but didn't travel that well, I printed them on oversized postcards (free from vistaprint) glued them to tongue depressors and decorated with ribbon and starfish charms (I can provide more info if you want to do something like this and pics)

-Are you bringing wedding favors to the reception? What about personalized napkins?

I made wooden starfish magnet, I grabbed little wooden painted cut out starfish from AC Moore and stuck magnets on the back and put them in tulle bags with a cute quote about starfish. I love the idea of personalized napkins, they would look really cute with the cocktails!

-Will you add your own decorations (e.g., silk flowers at the reception)?

I had my own silk bouquets and bouts but the rest of the decorations were Carnival and it was fine.

-For former cruise brides: Did the reception feel rushed? I just can't wrap my mind around having an hour reception when it's usually 4 hours!

It flew by but that's what "traditional" brides say too, then you can spend time with those who sail for the rest of the week, plus we did a welcome dinner in Miami before we sailed that most people attended and that was really nice I very glad I spent the extra money and did it.

-What about a guest book?

I used postcards and I am going to put them together in a book when I find exactly what I'm looking for. I again printed them off of vistaprint and set them up on a table with pens and directions, I got really cute responses and it goes with the unique theme of a cruise wedding. Any more questions just ask :)

You can certainly bring ALL of that stuff! It is your wedding and you should absolutely make it what YOU want it to be! We brought a personalized aisle runner, favors, cake topper, champagne flutes, napkins, etc...the works and I am so glad we did, our day was everything we dreamed it to be.

The hour and half does fly by and does feel a bit rushed, just enjoy every second and make the best of everything!

HTH! Best of luck to you!

Archived