Cruising from Seattle to Alaska

tarheelmjfan

DH, DS(13), & I are planning a cruise to Alaska leaving from Seattle, so we can visit the city after our cruise. I know that we need to book soon, but I just can't decide on a cruise line. This will only be our 2nd cruise, with the other being 12 years ago. The ship we went on wasn't from any of the cruise lines that sail from Seattle to Alaska. We know what we're most interested in, and I'm hoping you can tell me which cruise line would best suit us. We want a ship with exceptional food, & good family entertainment (not cheesy). DS isn't very outgoing with strangers, & will probably spend his time with us. The only exception would be if the teen club had internet, where he could email his friends, which wouldn't take long. We need a ship that has activities for a family to do together during "at sea" days. Also, we're not partiers, so we would prefer a calmer, yet family friendly environment. So, which cruise line is best for us? TIA :)

What about Celebrity? Their website shows a 7-night Hubbard Glacier itinerary, RT Seattle, offered all throughout the season. There is also one on 5/20 leaving Vancouver and arriving in Seattle. These itineraries are on the Mercury.

I was actually booked on the 5/20 trip but just canceled.

Hello, we went to Alaska out of Seattle in September, spent 3 days pre cruise in Seattle then went on the Sapphire Princess, had an absolutley wonderful time. Saw people of all ages on the ship, we thought the food was good and most of the entertainment pretty good. They do have internet but I don't think it is in the teen area , It is fairly pricey to use, but that is an option. It is a huge ship , so usually something going on. Hope you enjoy your cruise.

Cori

Probably, based on the information above, any of Celebrity, Princess, RCCL, and HAL will do the job for you. Pick up some brochures and see which appeals.

Each fits part, but not necessarily all of your desires -for instance, Celebrity has (IMAO) the best food afloat, but fairly lame entertainment where RCCL has unremarkable food, but broad appeal for all ages & tastes.

Good luck!

Thanks for all the great info. :) I know I'm asking for alot, but I just want to know which cruise line comes closest to fitting our needs. As some of you already did, please break the cruises down into which of our wish list each ship fulfills, & why it doesn't fulfill the others. This will help me to decide which things are ultimately the most important. It's too bad that we can't find fine dining & Broadway style shows on the same ship. :(

We've been leaning toward Princess or Celebrity, but I don't really know enough about any of them. We like the itinerary on Princess Sapphire. It looks like the Sapphire arrives at the port in Canada 2 hours earlier than the Diamond. :confused: We've never been to Canada, so we were wanting the couple extra daylight hours. The option of having the internet isn't that important. DS(13) will be just as happy hanging out with us. Being a family of 3, we spend all our time together anyway. DS & I have adventurous palates, & DH enjoys fine dining, he's just not as adventurous. DS & I are the type that we will order anything on the menu that we've never tried, just to see if we like it. :D So, for a family of 3, with one being a very mature 13 yo., which of these ships has the best, fine dining, the best overall shows, & the best family activities. Taking into consideration that we will probably be together 24/7. Thanks again. :)

I would recommend the Princess cruise line, a 13 yo, will be a bit bored on the Celebrity. Celebrity has a more older group of people and Princess will have oportunities for him to do things on his own adn venture out. Princess Saphire is a beautiful ship, we live in Seattle and had the opportunity to go on the ship before they had the first sailing. Lots of places to hang out and the food on Princess IMO is very good.....

I think you would be happier on Princess and if you need any info on Seattle just let me know.

Deb

Hi Tarheelmjfan,

Just a thought, Princess has anytime dinning, but Celebrity is fixed seat.

In Alaska, most port will last until late at night, but you will have more freedom of when to do dinner with go with Princess.

Cindy

Don't let the daylight thing determine what cruise line you take. Remember, the farther up you go, the longer it stay light. It will be light in Canada, during the summer months, until well after 9pm.

I think Celebrity or RCCI would be great for you. Just in case your son does find some friends to hang around with, the RCCI ships have great teen things like in line skating, rock climbing wall, ice skating, and an arcade. Celebrity is a little more formal in terms of just about everything. The dress code, the dining room, and all that.

Thanks for all the info. You guys are a great help, for a relative newbie like myself. :)

TWA4Ever,

I went into my options, & I should now be able to accept emails. Sorry, I didn't realize I had turned that option off. :( Please email me with any info. you have. I need all the help I can get. :D

Deb,

Since you offered...:p Have you ever been to the Teatro Zinzanni dinner show? It sounds like something we would enjoy. I am concerned that the show may be too explicit for a 13 yo. boy. He's mature for his age, so I'm not worried about him being embarrased, but I don't want to be embarrassed for taking him. :eek: What do you think? Is the show okay for him? TIA :)

You may want to consider HAL's ship, the Oosterdam. These ships are geared for families and have a wide range of ages aboard. Although I wouldn't categorize the food as gourmet, I find it to be very good. They also have a "premium" restaurant onboard (for an extra fee) for a special meal. The entertainment is good and there are a variety of activities available. The itinerary of this cruise is very good and includes the Hubbard Glacier which is superior to Glacier Bay for viewing.

Went on the Oosterdam last year round trip from Seattle and loved it...We were deciding between the diamond princess or the oosterdam and the oosterdam won....because the price for a balcony room was too good to pass up....food was great, entertainment wonderful and the ports we visited we liked very much...

DH, DS(13), & I are planning a cruise to Alaska leaving from Seattle, so we can visit the city after our cruise. I know that we need to book soon, but I just can't decide on a cruise line. This will only be our 2nd cruise, with the other being 12 years ago. The ship we went on wasn't from any of the cruise lines that sail from Seattle to Alaska. We know what we're most interested in, and I'm hoping you can tell me which cruise line would best suit us. We want a ship with exceptional food, & good family entertainment (not cheesy). DS isn't very outgoing with strangers, & will probably spend his time with us. The only exception would be if the teen club had internet, where he could email his friends, which wouldn't take long. We need a ship that has activities for a family to do together during "at sea" days. Also, we're not partiers, so we would prefer a calmer, yet family friendly environment. So, which cruise line is best for us? TIA :)

An Alaskan cruise is much more subdued then the carb. I doubt you have to worry about the partiers even on Carnival. I know Norweigan does one ship from Seattle. I think most cruiselines though go out of Vancouver.

I have never been on Norweigan so I can't really say about that but I do know you can take a shuttle on Amtrak from Seattle to Vancouver. Then you can go on about any cruiseline you want. We went on HAL which was a little too subdued for me. So I guess I am not really any help am I?

Don't let the daylight thing determine what cruise line you take. Remember, the farther up you go, the longer it stay light. It will be light in Canada, during the summer months, until well after 9pm.

I think Celebrity or RCCI would be great for you. Just in case your son does find some friends to hang around with, the RCCI ships have great teen things like in line skating, rock climbing wall, ice skating, and an arcade. Celebrity is a little more formal in terms of just about everything. The dress code, the dining room, and all that.

No voyager class ships go to Alaska- so no ice skating on RCCL. I think all RCCL ships have the rock climbing now-not sure about inline skating but even boring old HAL has an arcade-so other lines besides RCCL have that.

The Princess ships out of Seattle (Diamond and Saphire) include Tracy Arm in their itenerary. This was the highlight of our trip last May. The ships are quite large for the Arm, but if that is the only way to see "the most scenic 25 miles on the planet, it should be considered." The other way to see Tracy Arm is to take a small boat excursion in Juneau. Unfortunately, these tours cannot be booked through Princess so you run the risk of being left in Juneau if the boat breaks down.

Gook luck. We sailed the Diamond out of Seattle last year and had a blast.:):):)

Jim

TIA: Sorry I was away for a long weekend and just got back to the messages. The show is fine for a mature 13 yo; we went over a year ago and loved it. Very fun and includes everyone, there were a lot of younger people there 11-18 ish so I think would be fine.

Keep us posted as to what ship you choose and if I can help in any of your time in Seattle.

Deb

Archived