Is there ever a residency discount for Wisconsin?

PartyAllDaTyme

Since residency discounts are usually offered for states near cruiseports (FL, CA, MD, for example), has anyone ever received a discount from Wisconsin? Wyoming? North Dakota? Does it pay to even bother clicking the residency box? I'm checking daily for price drops, and skipping the residency step will save a few seconds a day, minutes a month, hours a decade:p!

Seriously, what are the chances?

Since residency discounts are usually offered for states near cruiseports (FL, CA, MD, for example), has anyone ever received a discount from Wisconsin? Wyoming? North Dakota? Does it pay to even bother clicking the residency box? I'm checking daily for price drops, and skipping the residency step will save a few seconds a day, minutes a month, hours a decade:p!

I once got a residency rate for WI on Carnival (6/09). Since I sometime fly from O'hare, some sites inadvertantly show me residency discounts for IL. I don't qualify, buy I've seen the IL discounts several times.

I once got a residency rate for WI on Carnival (6/09). Since I sometime fly from O'hare, some sites inadvertantly show me residency discounts for IL. I don't qualify, buy I've seen the IL discounts several times.

As Arte Johnson used to say, "Ver-r-r-y Interestinggggg!"

My understandiing of the reason residency discounts were offered was to attract people that would be more inclined to fill up the ship, such as those who don't have the burden of having to pay for airfare. Since flying out of ORD saves the cost of connecting flights, I suppose it would make sense for discounts for IL residents. While I can't fathom (cruise pun:p) the reason a discount is offered to WI residents, it's good to know it's possble.

There are currently Wisconsin resident discounts for several X sailings (Mar, Apr, May 2010). For example, take a look at Summit Apr 3 sailing.

There are online TA websites you can use to search for various discounts (senior,military, police, firefighter, teacher, interline, regional...). If ya search for regional discounts using your location (zipcode), you can see all cruises with discounts for your location.

As Arte Johnson used to say, "Ver-r-r-y Interestinggggg!"

My understandiing of the reason residency discounts were offered was to attract people that would be more inclined to fill up the ship, such as those who don't have the burden of having to pay for airfare. Since flying out of ORD saves the cost of connecting flights, I suppose it would make sense for discounts for IL residents. While I can't fathom (cruise pun:p) the reason a discount is offered to WI residents, it's good to know it's possble.

I'm sure I do not really understand the cruiseline's pricing strategy, but I think it is more complicated than airfare.

I have heard of "dump zones," areas near ports used to unload leftover cabins close to sail date. Picking up last minute dumps would be easier for locals.

Sometimes resident discounts are offered further out. That would seem to be a marketing/pricing game. Perhaps the cruiseline hopes sell some discounted cabins without large numbers of existing passengers asking for price reductions or OBC. Perhaps the cruiseline informs travel agent in the state, hoping they the TA will market the cruise aggressively. Perhaps the data is used to study how incremental price changes effect number of bookings (it might suggest if they need to drop their fare $25 to move the cabins or $50, for instance).

When I do mock bookings, I usually enter my state. The seconds spent on the state drop down menu pall in comparision to the time I spend on other website, like this one.

It takes a little patience to search and to know how to do the most efficient search. I use a two of the big online cruise sites and search by zip code and or state. That will typically identify me which cruises may offer resident special. Then you also have to be keen to the eye to identify which one is. For example, today, I looked for Wisconsin Resident Savings. I used zip 53704 for Madison, and quickly found a resident discount on a 7 day cruise on the Celebrity Summit sailing on 4/10. However this one sails out of Puerto Rico. Resident savings = 100 per guest. The resident savings may only be for one or a few of the available categories. I then tried it with and without the zip on Celebrity dot com, and also saw the savings referenced, It shows the cabins with regular rate and then immediately below it shows the cabins with Resident Rate.

Just last week when someone from New Hampshire was asking how to save money, and I had checked and found a resident rate savings, but it was strictly on inside category only.

There are some that offer resident rate savings some other cruise lines may offer it more than Celebrity, but Celebrity does offer it on select cruises. you just have to search.

Some of the big online cruises agencies also have telephone CS reps whom you can call and they probably have better ability to query the cruise database by state specific savings and you could have them search and give you some suggestions then tell them you want to look into it further before you make you decision, They are typically never any pressure at all and usually very happy to help. I think you will find the same or better using Celebrity's own Customer Service, They are usually great, and also no pressure.

good luck.

OMB

Have had them for Illinois.

Believe that lack of discounts for Wisconsin, is properly justified as

Packer Fan discrimination. (just kidding)

Hmm, now that you mention it, just how much do they pay people to wear a Bears jersey?jj

I do see more IL discounts than WI. That might be related to the larger population rather than the NFL teams. Or maybe the average Illinois resident spends more aboard than frugal Wisconsinities;).

Actually more of a Blackhawks fan.

I think that X is afraid that you guys will scarf up all of the cheese from the cart in the specialty restaurant.

Less than two months until we board Solstice. Sick of winter.

Go Hawks

Woohoo! Go Hawks!

Those guys are sure playin' some great hockey these last few years. Mere coincidence that it turned around after Dollar Bill died?

Sorry for the OT...:o

blackhawks.gif

Actually more of a Blackhawks fan.

I think that X is afraid that you guys will scarf up all of the cheese from the cart in the specialty restaurant.

Less than two months until we board Solstice. Sick of winter.

Go Hawks

Yea, many it is the cheese;). Perhaps we will eat our weight in cheese on the Constellation transatlantic. Or maybe not.

I'm sick of winter, too, and it seems most of the US is sick of winter. Many locations to my south have had more snow than us. And they are far less equiped to handle it.

I receved a resident discount for our upcoming Infinity cruise. It's actually still in effect for Illinois residents.

Though I do like how on the RCCL site you can do a search for special rates (resident, senior, etc.). I wish Celebrity would do the same on their site.

My GF and I are flying out of Midway in Chicago at the end of this month to take a Celebrity cruise. Then at the end of March we have tickets on a bus trip to see the Blackhawks. Hopefully my Cubies will do something this year.

They don't pay us to wear Bear shirts, it is an earned privilege. Those to the north don't understand.:cool:

Stupid question, but just HOW do you know if you get a residency discount. Does it say "Residency discount"? Or do you have to try booking with your state and then try booking without to see if there is any difference?

It will show both prices. The regular price first and residency discount price next. Last year there was a residency rate for NC & SC for a cruise out of Seattle to FLL through Panama Canal. They may have a residency discount only for a few days. It pays to check.

Just pretend book and make sure you enter your state. (some people skip that) . Then the box for each category will be divided into the two different pricings. No need to do anything else. oh...often the discount will be for only certain categories. Maybe verandahs will be on sale. And only some of them.... or suites or cc's. Anyways, look over all the categories you could possible be interested in.

Thanks, all, for the responses, even from the FIBs (the I stands for Illinois, you have to figure out what the F and the B stands for:D). Hopefully, this thread has proven to be educational.

We have a particular cruise booked; just checking for price drops. The only time I could recall states mentioned on previous threads, it seemed to be FL and the like. It's good to know that discounts are available. My theory now on the preponderance of residency discounts for IL is that the cruiselines feel sorry for Bears fans, and figure they need something in life to keep them happy:rolleyes:!

BTW, what's the difference between a cheesehead and a d***head? The Illinois state line:D:D:D!

Just kidding. We welcome our Illinois bretheren and sisteren to da nort' woods for fun and games in all seasons. Bring your money.

. . . I think that X is afraid that you guys will scarf up all of the cheese from the cart in the specialty restaurant. . .

. . . whatever they lose in cheese consumption, they'd make up on beer sales!

We sailed in November on Solstice with a WI residency discount. I was really surprised to see it, and truth be told it was probably the major reason I really spent any time looking into that particular cruise -- it caught my eye.

BTW, what's the difference between a cheesehead and a d***head? The Illinois state line:D:D:D!

Just kidding. We welcome our Illinois bretheren and sisteren to da nort' woods for fun and games in all seasons. Bring your money.

At least the FIBs drive better than the Yuppers! (and tip better than the mud ducks)

I just reserved a sailing with a VT resident discount.

But now I'm worried because it is so low....nowhere on my paperwork does it say anything about the state.

And in all of my looking I didn't see this discount anywhere else.

Too good to be true?

Archived