Tell me about Las Caletas

valleymom

I think we are going to do this tour and include Sea Lion Snorkel(we have 3 kids 14, 8, 6) . Can anyone give me feedback on this. Also, we're coming in on Carnival Splendor and I wonder if I should book through the ship or through Johan and Sandra... any thoughts on that. I already emailed PV Adventure Tours and they said to book through the ship... they didn't even want me to book direct!

I think we are going to do this tour and include Sea Lion Snorkel(we have 3 kids 14, 8, 6) . Can anyone give me feedback on this. Also, we're coming in on Carnival Splendor and I wonder if I should book through the ship or through Johan and Sandra... any thoughts on that. I already emailed PV Adventure Tours and they said to book through the ship... they didn't even want me to book direct!

We go every year that we are in Vallarta. I think the up charge for "with sea lions" is a rip but then I'm not into that type of interaction.

I haven't uploaded `07 & `08 pictures yet but a collection of Las Caletas photo's can be found at- http://travel.webshots.com/album/570764732lapMBp

2047129690078358666S600x600Q85.jpg

If Vallarta Adventures is under contract with the cruise ship as a tour operator, they are not allowed to sell that same tour directly to the cruising public. This is the case with the Las Caletas tour. They can't undercut the ship's price.

Vallarta Adventures runs two tours to Caletas on days when ships are in port. The first will push off at roughly 9 AM and takes resort tourists and ship's passengers that arrive in time to get off the boat for this tour. The second leaves at roughly 1130 and takes ship's passengers that arrive after the 9 AM tour leaves and any resort people they couldn't be accommodate on the 9 AM tour.

Splendor arrives between 8:30 and 9 AM Vallarta local time (0730 & 0800 Splendor ship's time). I don't know if Vallarta Adventures will hold the 9 AM Las Caletas tour boat to accommodate Splendor's excursion passengers. If they don't, then the 1130 tour is your only option.

You can book through the ship or through a number of third-party tour brokers. Johann & Sandra seem to be favored as a tour broker by cruisers because they they will refund your money if the ship arrives late or misses the port completely.

Enjoy!

My understanding is that some of the cruise lines have a contract with Vallarta Adventures that while in port they will not sell this excursion independently. If you are looking at an independent tour be sure and check the times just to be on the safe side.

I haven't done the swimming with the sea lions but have done Las Caletas. It is quite beautiful there and the ride down is very pretty as well. They will take more time riding down and "hugging" the coastline so people can get a view of Puerto Vallarta. On the way back they go a bit further out to sea to get you back quicker.

There are also some monkeys and parrots you can see, a jungle hike, kayaking, snorkeling, a spa, open bar, just laying on the beach. A really nice day.

My family will also be on Splendor and we're interested in this same excursion. When I checked with Johann and Sandra, they said we'd have to book with the ship because of a contract between tour guide and Carnival. We're still thinking about it but it seemed a little more personal with J & S. I got a reply to my thread last week (asking about Las Caletas) saying it is very beautiful and turned out being a great day. Sorry I can't give more feedback. Out of my last 3 cruises, getting opinions and questions answered on the boards about this itinerary has been like pulling teeth!!:( Happy cruising.

We did Las Caletas as an excursion from Disney ship in 2008.

The whole family really enjoyed it. The water was a little rough for the kids as there waves coming in were quite strong. Our kids were only 3 and 6 and had to be carried in water or get knocked over by the waves at shore, but they had fun.

The food was good, the drink was reasonable. My aunt really enjoyed the birds.

Overall it was well run set up.

We didn't do snorkeling.

Thanks all! CC didn't post my question for the longest time and then I didn't realize they had... so I only just saw your replies now. I did end up booking throught Carnival... only 8 day til we sail! I'll post when I return on how the day goes.

• 8 months later...

We have taken the Las Caletas excursion through the ship at least four times. The water has never been rough at the beach when we were there - twice in December and twice in April. Water conditions can never be predicted - it all depends on Mother Nature the day you are there. I agree with an above poster about the sea lion swim being pretty expensive for what it is. Our son-in-law happened to be in a kyack when the swimming with the sea lions was taking place, and though he wasn't in the water with the sea lion, he was right in the midst of the activity, and the rest of us were sitting on the beach very close to where this activitiy was taking place. It was fun to watch - almost as good as being in the water with the sea lion. Our whole family loves this excursion. The boat ride is fun and the crew does a good job of providing entertainment and refreshments on the trip over and back. I think it took about 45 minutes, and we all considered it a great part of the day. Enjoy!

Archived