Are you allowed to use chalk at the climbing wall?

Thanks for the review RenSea, just learned on separate thread that they provide chalk bags. Hope that there are some challenging routes, it would be quite boring to be able to climb everything they had. Half the fun is pushing yourself to climb something harder than you've done before. At indoor gyms I climb 5.11 routes after lots of practice, and can usually climb 5.9 routes "on sight" (never having seen them before). Really looking forward to the cruise, just hope the lines are short and the wind is not a factor! ;)

Climbsrocks,

If this is something that you do on a regular basis, I don't think you will be challenged. My 8YO DD did the "mid-level" climb rather quickly. She's only been on one other rock wall.

These walls are for more of your "average-first-time-rock-wall-climber".

As was previously stated, just go up and enjoy the view. I understand it's awsome!

Enjoy!

Leigh

I never did it before and made it to the top of level 3 (out of 5) pretty easily. Just a tip: they only allow you to make two attempts per session. I did level 2 and 3 and was ready to try 4, but they told me I had to come back at the next session after lunch. Well, by then I was rather bloated (and, okay, I had two beers) and stiff, and really didn't stand a chance withlevel 4 (but still made it about halfway). So if you're pressed for time, start with a section that will provide a challenge, rather than with an easy "warm-up."

Two attempts, that's no fun, especially on a short 30 foot wall. Maybe it won't be that crowded next week and they'll be a bit more accomodating. Even climbing only once a week, I feel like I've not had a workout unless I get six or seven 5.9 or 5.10 climbs in at our 60' Galyans wall. Just have to remember I'm on vacation and there are other things to do!! ;)

As far as how you get down - there is a staff belayer at the bottom who is taking in the slack on your rope as you ascend, and will lower you when you're ready to descend. Very safe, they probably use Petzl's Gri-Gri belay devices as it will arrest a fall even if the belayer is distracted. Gri-gri's are expensive, hard on ropes, and can't be used with twin ropes or for ice climbing, but very well suited for this type of environment.

Yes, you do belay to get down. That was almost as much fun as climbing. I doubt you will get more than two attempts. There was nobody in line behind me when they told me that I would have to come back. It may be an insurance thing--I dunno. I have to say that climbing the wall may have been my favorite shipboard experience, perhaps with the exception of eatling like a pig at every meal :D .

Archived