Best Beach

BcIcemen

I vote Sapphire! We rented a car for the day so we could see a couple of the beaches instead of just one. We went to Sapphire first and loved it. It is absolutely gorgeous. We only spent about an hour here so that we could hit the next stop. We went to Coki and did not like it what so ever!! It was an extremely small beach and smelt like trash. The bathrooms were shut down so we had to pay a $1 to get into Coral World just so we could use the restroom. We spent about 10 minutes here and got out as soon as we could. We then finished off with Megan's Bay. This was a nice beach. To compare it to Sapphire, the sand wasn't as white and the water wasn't as clear. We wish our route would have been reversed so we could have spent more time in Sapphire overall. Needless to say, our next trip will be spent in Sapphire :)

I vote Sapphire! We rented a car for the day so we could see a couple of the beaches instead of just one. We went to Sapphire first and loved it. It is absolutely gorgeous. We only spent about an hour here so that we could hit the next stop. We went to Coki and did not like it what so ever!! It was an extremely small beach and smelt like trash. The bathrooms were shut down so we had to pay a $1 to get into Coral World just so we could use the restroom. We spent about 10 minutes here and got out as soon as we could. We then finished off with Megan's Bay. This was a nice beach. To compare it to Sapphire, the sand wasn't as white and the water wasn't as clear. We wish our route would have been reversed so we could have spent more time in Sapphire overall. Needless to say, our next trip will be spent in Sapphire :)

When did you go to Sapphire because I've been hearing about recent problems there with it being rundown but before reading that I was pretty set on going there. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Rented a Jeep and toured the island…A value compaired with taxi fares to popular destinations…I’ve ridden roller coaster but never driven one!…The twists, turns and banking while going up and down hills, while hugging the left, was a real hoot!! A real test of driving skills and concentration…Drove around the island counter-clockwise, from Havensight to Red Hook and beyond. The light traffic in this direction made it a nice way to start off.

Visited many beaches that day. Only two ships were in port that day so none were crowded…Morningstar Beach, the closest to the pier, is a small but pretty. There’s no walk the beach opportunity but it’s still attractive.

Coki Beach was in a little-rough-around-the-edges neighborhood, this combined with the gauntlet we faced driving up to the beach took us back a little. People flocked to us, "need parking? want to buy this or that? where are you going? what do you need?" Parking was not clearly visible, so rather than engage the masses we departed. Beach unseen.

Sapphire Beach was beautiful! The view of the bay and islands, framed by palm trees and stunning water color was a real wow-factor. A nice sandy beach, it’s long but real narrow.

Magens Bay is without a doubt one beautiful, scenic beach but I don't see this as one of the best in the world or in the Caribbean. We walked this beach and it's a good walk. The views, both natural and man-made, are attractive. The left side of the beach is the place to spread your blanket. I can easily imagine both the facilities and the beach being 'hectic' during busy times. All in all, it's Magens Beach! It really should be visited.

Caught some sun and went swimming on Emerald Beach. Loved it! Close to town, nice sand, clear water, palm trees and an impressive view (enhanced by two windjammers anchored in the bay), two great bars, a restaurant and WC facilities...However, jet traffic at the nearby airport is certainly notable. It didn't bother us, we actually found it entertaining, but for some it could be an issue.

Any ?'s email billbar@maine.rr.com

• 1 month later...
Hi there. Why don't you post some of the criteria you're looking for in a beach. Do you want/need: snorkeling, water toy rental, snacks & drinks, full restaurant facilities, restrooms, shade, etc.

We are looking for a nice sandy beach and a sandy bottom in the water where you can get a lounge chair (rent or free) and either a palm tree to put it under or rent or free umbrella for some shade. We would like to "try" to learn to snorkle but want to do it from a beach not a boat. A lot of people say Sapphire Beach is one of the best but others have said it has a VERY rocky bottom, we are looking for a nice sandy bottom to walk on. Drinks and restroom facilities would be really nice also.

Does this exist on St. Thomas????:confused:

Hi there. Why don't you post some of the criteria you're looking for in a beach. Do you want/need: snorkeling, water toy rental, snacks & drinks, full restaurant facilities, restrooms, shade, etc.

We are looking for a nice sandy beach and a sandy bottom in the water where you can get a lounge chair (rent or free) and either a palm tree to put it under or rent or free umbrella for some shade. We would like to "try" to learn to snorkel but want to do it from a beach not a boat. A lot of people say Sapphire Beach is one of the best but others have said it has a VERY rocky bottom, we are looking for a nice sandy bottom to walk on. Drinks and restroom facilities would be really nice also.

We are looking for a nice sandy beach and a sandy bottom in the water where you can get a lounge chair (rent or free) and either a palm tree to put it under or rent or free umbrella for some shade. We would like to "try" to learn to snorkel but want to do it from a beach not a boat. A lot of people say Sapphire Beach is one of the best but others have said it has a VERY rocky bottom, we are looking for a nice sandy bottom to walk on. Drinks and restroom facilities would be really nice also.

Try Secret Harbour. We were there a few weeks ago and loved it.

Here's a webcam: http://www.aadivers.com/webcam/

You can see the palm trees & how sandy it is. One of the snorkeling areas is on the right side of this picture where you can just make out the big rocks in the water. Lots of fish hang out in that area.

Generally speaking fish swim around coral or rocks and snorkeling is best around coral or rocks. Sand is lovely' date=' but not conducive to good snorkeling.:(

B.[/quote']

I guess I mean sandy bottom until it get deep enough to swim, we were on one of the private islands one time that was terrific except the bottom was full of BIG rocks that you could not walk on because of the algae and the water was only about 10"-12" deep so you could not swim. After it gets to be 4'-5' deep I won't care what is on the bottom.

Seablu - nice sandy beach/sandy bottom/lounge chair for rent/palm tree to put it under... that is Magens Bay in a nutshell. :). However it doesn't much to see for snorkeling since its largely sandy. There is a hiking trail by the beach if you want to pass up on snorkeling for a little hiking.

Coki fits the bill for sandy/chairs/snorkeling. Its a small beach, different shoreline atmosphere then Magens in that it has lots of vendors selling things and the area nearby is a bit seedy. Magens is a park and maintained accordingly. There is currently some work being done to clean up the area around Coki.

Sapphire and Secret Harbor would be two more options you could look at. Both are mostly sandy but they both have some rocky spots. At Sapphire its largely smaller pebbles mixed in with the sandy on the sandy side which is where you swim. The far right is very pebbly but its not where you swim. At Secret Harbor its larger rocky spots in the water, which you can look for from shore and then enter in the sandy area and swim past the rocks. Basically its clear enough you can see the rocks and they aren't everywhere. Both have chairs for rent, both have shade under trees. Both have snorkeling.

All of the above have restrooms, they vary in cleaniness and maintainance. Secret Harbor is well maintained as the restaurant and hotel are there. Sapphire the restroom doesn't get the maintainance it needs because the resturant/bar it is attached to is closed, it is open though. Coki and Magens the restrooms are public bathrooms, sort of hit or miss.

All have food/drink. Coki its food vendors with chicken, burgers, hot dogs; Magens its a grill/bar with pizza, burgers; Sapphire an open air grill with burgers and sandwiches plus a wait person from the condo restaurant up on the hill above the beach that takes and delivers orders to the beach - they have a full restaurant menu; and then Secret Harbor its a beachside restaurant.

You might check out a beach guide for St. Thomas for more information and photos, try http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=st.+thomas+beach+guide+east+end&aq=0&aqi=g1&aql=&oq=st.+thomas+beach+guide+&gs_rfai=.

--Islander

• 2 weeks later...

I was at Emerald Beach last Thursday and it is perfect for what you've described above plus peaceful and not crowded. If you'd like to snorkel, there's an area over by the rocks (to the far left if you're facing the water) that would probably be best for that. We went on the recommendation of our tour guide and had a wonderful day there. What a little treasure! Sure wish I could go back this Thursday! :D

I was at Emerald Beach last Thursday and it is perfect for what you've described above plus peaceful and not crowded. If you'd like to snorkel, there's an area over by the rocks (to the far left if you're facing the water) that would probably be best for that. We went on the recommendation of our tour guide and had a wonderful day there. What a little treasure! Sure wish I could go back this Thursday! :D

I am trying to make a decision about which beach to go to and I have been just going around and around and I soon just have to settle on something! Does Emerald Beach have jet skis to rent? I believe Sapphire does, but I cannot remember what I have heard as far as Emerald is concerned.

Thank you!

We are thinking of going to Secret Harbor. I understand that you need a taxi to get there. Can anyone tell me approximately where it is located?

Thanks,

Terry

It's in the South East part of the island. You can see it on this map, for example: http://www.virginislandsmap.com/stthomas/ . When we went there a year and a half ago we took a dollar taxi ($2 pp from the cruise port area, I believe) and then walked 10 minutes or so. As you get off the dollar taxi and walk along the road towards the sea, take the first left. Later on you will see a sign to Secret Harbor, you can also ask passers-by.

I am trying to make a decision about which beach to go to and I have been just going around and around and I soon just have to settle on something! Does Emerald Beach have jet skis to rent? I believe Sapphire does, but I cannot remember what I have heard as far as Emerald is concerned.

Thank you!

There are no water sports rentals at Emerald.

Archived