Where to dive in Grand Cayman?

HapiCruzr

We will be on the Norwegian Sun the second week in February stopping at Grand Cayman. Can anyone recommend a dive operator in Grand Cayman? Could you also share your Grand Cayman diving experiences.......both good and bad?

We will be on the Norwegian Sun the second week in February stopping at Grand Cayman. Can anyone recommend a dive operator in Grand Cayman? Could you also share your Grand Cayman diving experiences.......both good and bad?
I can. I went diving with Neptune's divers and can recommend them. They are nice people who offer guided dives or will let you do your own dive if you want. They don't race you around the reef so you use up your air faster so they can keep on schedule, they go at a nice slow pace so you can take your time and look for the small things too. Being a photographer, I really appreciate the slow dives. Dive ends when you get low on air or time. It is recommended that you have a dive computer. My only disappointment is that they didn't have a freshwater rinse bucket for my camera. They offer water between dives, but no snack. The don't advertise a snack either, so I'm not complaining, but it is nice to know so you can bring a little something with you from the ship. An orange or 2 from the buffet and maybe a box of cereal are good. After the dives, Casey offered to drive me back to the cruise dock in Georgetown.

Where would you like to dive? Well, that depends on what you want to see. If you want a better chance a seeing larger pelagic fish, then a North wall dive is what you want. This area is weather dependent. If the wind is from the north, the north side of the island is usually not dive-able. Same goes for stingray city, since it is also in the north. But if weather conditions allow, those would be my 2 choices for dive sites.

There are also shore diving opportunities in Grand Cayman. In addition to the ever popular Eden Rock dive site right there in Georgetown about 2 blocks to the right of where the tenders dock, there is also the site at the turtle farm which is close to Divetech. Personally, I'd go there if I was going to do a shore dive. Because Eden rock is so close to where the tenders dock, it gets a lot of diving pressure from many less experienced divers. I think that the turtle farm site is in better condition because of this.

Here is a list of Grand Cayman dive operators from the official Dive Cayman web site.

Lastly, if you are interested, I have some underwater photos in my Gallery that I took last March.

Hope this helps.

Archived