Question about Labadee

Martino

Hello....

Sailing on Solstice next month, with a stop scheduled at Labadee. We have booked excursions at the other ports, but not for Labadee. We had planned on just making a beach day of it. We have never been to Labadee before, so I'm not sure of the procedures.

Can you just walk off the ship and go to a beach of your choosing without making prior arrangements? Do you pay extra for this stop, or is it included in the cruise price? Can you get beach chairs without making prior arrangements? If we decide we'd like to try one of the attractions while we're there, can you do it without having made prior reservations?

Thanks in advance for shedding some light on this for us.

Labadee is a "free" beach day -- no charge for the lounges, lunch is included; drinks are not included

HOWEVER -- you can rent floating mats and participate in the "for a fee" activities if you wish.

and there is now a pier, so you can come and go from the ship as often as you want

You might bring a couple of dollars for the gentlemen who set your chairs up in your desired spot. There are many chairs available.

At the free lunch you will find some drinks that are free in the pavillion where all of the picnic tables are.

I did read on one post that they were glad they made their zipline excursion reservations ahead of time, but I don't know if it is necessary.

We spent a beach day there and it was wonderful. Very relaxing for us.:)

We were there last Tuesday and it was very hot we just spent the day on the beach with the kids - all you need is a tip for the loungers and some money to spend in the market some of the crafts are fabulous and money for drinks if you don't take your own or have what is provided at lunchtime.

We didn't book anything like the zip line or dragon coaster so can't comment on that.

We picked a beach which was only a couple of minutes walk from one of the cafe areas - the only down side was that we queued a long time to get back on the ship this was the only port where we were asked for photo id!:D

We were just there also on the 1 month "anniversary" of the quake. It was a day of mourning for the country. Labadee is beautiful and the beaches were gorgeous. Take cash for chair tips and the water park is $15/hour/child if you choose to use it. There are 3 BBQ stations to eat. However, we were set back at the sight of 10-12 Haitian children holding plates and begging for food just over the fence from the BBQ tables as we ate. We returned to the ship. On deck that morning, sailing into Labadee offshore of Haiti, was the foulest odor we have ever smelled. We will not go back to Labadee anytime soon.

Thanks very much for the replies. It was exactly the info I was looking for.

One last thing.....I'm assuming US$ for tips, drinks, etc.?

I assume you mean US $ vs. other currency, then yes. However, with the exception of tips for the local folks (not waiters which are from the ship), or if you buy stuff directly from the Haitians, you do not need cash. Drinks, and many other items (tours, rides, etc.), are charged to your SeaPass Card just as if you were on the ship.

We were just there also on the 1 month "anniversary" of the quake. It was a day of mourning for the country. Labadee is beautiful and the beaches were gorgeous. Take cash for chair tips and the water park is $15/hour/child if you choose to use it. There are 3 BBQ stations to eat. However, we were set back at the sight of 10-12 Haitian children holding plates and begging for food just over the fence from the BBQ tables as we ate. We returned to the ship. On deck that morning, sailing into Labadee offshore of Haiti, was the foulest odor we have ever smelled. We will not go back to Labadee anytime soon.

That is weird you mentioned about the smell! I was terrible when we pulled in. I didn't know what it was. I loved Haiti after the smell stopped. The only thing is I wish someone had told me to bring more CASH on shore because I thought there was alot of good shopping.

Water shoes would be helpful in most of the ports, depending on what beaches you go to or the excursions you take.

At Labadee, Columbus Cove doesn't require water shoes because it is sandy, but Adrenaline Beach is a lot rockier.

Beaches in Cozumel tend to have a lot of coral and rocks, especially on the shoreline.

In Jamaica, if you plan to go to Dunn's River Falls or go innertubing on a river, you will need them

Archived