Excursions with 2 yr old and 9 month old?

shassy

We're visiting Cabo San Lucas, Mazatlan, and Puerto Vallarta via the Splendor in March. We'll have our 2 year old, and we're going with friends who will have a 9 month old. We hope to switch off watching each other's kid at least once during our cruise so we each get to do a "grown-up activity" like snorkeling or kayaking. But we also want to do things where we can take our kids with us and have a good time.

We've looked at the excrusions offered by Carnival and want to know if anyone else has done an excursion through Carnival that they would consider toddler/baby friendly and could recommend to us. We're also interested in finding excursion options not offered by Carnival.

We've cruised twice before (both on Carnival) but never with a kid before. Totally new experience.

We don't drink. We're not big shoppers. We'd like to see the towns, experience the culture/history, and at some point get to the beach for our son's first beach experience.

What do you think?

For an excursion, my twins loved the short Lands End cruise offered in Cabo. It leaves from the dock, so there's no car seat issue, and it's fun to ride along the coast and see the sea lions.

In Mazatlan my experience has been the tours mostly use local taxis, and I don't feel like bringing the car seats, so it's not an option. Lots of people here use Mazatlan Frank to tour for the day, and that way you leave the car seats in the van when you get out to see things.

For the beach day I'd suggest walking to the Krystal, which has a great shallow kids pool attached to the huge main pool, plus a playground and nice beach area. We usually start at the playground before it gets too hot to use, then the beach, shower off the sand, then have lunch brought out to us at the pool.

Best,

Mia

In Mazatlan you might want to take an open air taxi over to the El Cid. Go on thru the lobby out to the pool area (they'll try to get you to do a time share presentation just tell them you are there for lunch). You can use the pool, have lunch, take a walk on the beach, then take a taxi back to the ship at the end of the day. We've done that several times with our son. The pool is nice and there is a small water slide.

We are cruising the Mexican Riviera with our then-12-month-old in April and planned on walking to the Krystal Vallarta.

We wanted to be sure first that our baby in swim diapers can go in the pool there. Can anyone confirm for us?

We were thinking of walking around on our own in Cabo, and maybe hiring a private tour in Mazatlan with a taxi so we can keep the car seat in the taxi instead of taking it in and out and carrying it around.

Will have to look into the Lands End cruise in Cabo!

For an excursion' date=' my twins loved the short Lands End cruise offered in Cabo. It leaves from the dock, so there's no car seat issue, and it's fun to ride along the coast and see the sea lions.[/quote']

We did this same excursion with our 4 year old and 19 month old last April from the Splendor. We got off the tender and were right next to the dock for the Land's End tour.

We did walk around the Marina to Medano Beach and I would not recommend that. It was a very far walk with kids. We returned to the tender pier on a water taxi. That was much quicker. I know that there are some people that are concerned with the safety of the water Taxis but we have never had a problem. Next time I would just take a water taxi to the beach too.

In Mazatlan we took a water taxi to Stone Island. The kids had a blast playing in the sand and the ocean.

Puerto Vallarta was harder since there wasn't a whole lot around the cruise dock. We took a taxi to the Malecon and then found a restaurant. I was not impressed overall with Puerto Vallarta. We are going to book an excursion this time.

This doesn't really have much to do with your original question but our 4 year old loved Club Carnival. He has asked us to take another cruise because he wants to see Funship Feddy again.

We are cruising the Mexican Riviera with our then-12-month-old in April and planned on walking to the Krystal Vallarta.

We wanted to be sure first that our baby in swim diapers can go in the pool there. Can anyone confirm for us?

Yes - babies with swim diapers can go in the pool there (or they have been able to every time we've been there - the last time was last year). My twins had a ball there during their first cruise (picture of them looking at Cabo on that cruise below) and it's always one of the best days of our cruise.

Best,

Mia

Archived