mini suite AF vs AG

Gaily215

Am i correct in thinking that if i book an AG I will be eligible for an upgrade? If so to what category? If not what is the price difference for? Thanks!! I realize many people think a mini suite is a glorified balcony but since I'm thinking of a 12 day cruise with my 19 yr old daughter the more space the better.

Am i correct in thinking that if i book an AG I will be eligible for an upgrade? If so to what category? If not what is the price difference for? Thanks!! I realize many people think a mini suite is a glorified balcony but since I'm thinking of a 12 day cruise with my 19 yr old daughter the more space the better.

I too wonder what is the difference. I really feel this is some kind of marketing ploy and that there's no difference.

Yes, you'll be eligible for an upgrade, but you can't count on anything above an AG or AF. The AG is essentially a mini-suite guarantee.

As with any guarantee, the rule of thumb is to never book a guarantee unless you're willing to accept the worst cabin in the category. Anything higher would be considered gravy. Truthfully, there are even instances when a supposed upgrade might not be considered an improvement. For instance, someone books an inside guarantee and gets upgraded to an oceanview with a poor location (perhaps because of noise). If there's something specific that a cruiser is looking for in a cabin, it's better to book a specific cabin.

Theoretically, with an AG, you could get any category from the mini suite up to the Garden Villa. :)

Realistically, you'll get a mini suite on the side :(

Not really a marketing ploy but the difference between an AF and AG is location on the ship. An AF is generally a more desirable location.

Yes, an AG is just a guarantee that you will get an AF. Usually, just among the left-over poor location AFs. That's why it is cheaper than booking an AF and picking your own cabin.

But in theory, if all the AFs do sell out, and you have been guaranteed a minimum of an AF, you can get a free upgrade. Though realistically, I have never heard of anybody being upgrade to a suite for free. And there are no other possible upgrades over an AF.

Yes, an AG is just a guarantee that you will get an AF. Usually, just among the left-over poor location AFs. That's why it is cheaper than booking an AF and picking your own cabin.

But in theory, if all the AFs do sell out, and you have been guaranteed a minimum of an AF, you can get a free upgrade. Though realistically, I have never heard of anybody being upgrade to a suite for free. And there are no other possible upgrades over an AF.

Our last cruise I booked an AF.. a few days before we sailed, we got an email with a new cabin assignment... to an AC!!! But I am sure that is very, very rare! A once in a lifetime thing... but I am glad I got that one time...:D

On Pride of America they are called Family Suites and have two separate bedrooms. The AG has NO balcony. The AF does. Neither gets full suite perks, of course.

WHAT!!! I could of have sworn a NCL rep told me the AG has a balcony. This is very disappointing news indeed :/

On Pride of America they are called Family Suites and have two separate bedrooms. The AG has NO balcony. The AF does. Neither gets full suite perks, of course.

WHAT!!! I could of have sworn a NCL rep told me the AG has a balcony. This is very disappointing news indeed :/

Are you on the Pride of America?

Any ship but the Pride will be a balcony. Usually, you will get an AF all the way forward or aft. Now we always book something forward of the fwd elevators. very quiet and not much hall traffic. Hardly any difference in rough seas, if they happen.:)

Archived