Carnival dive in Cozumel (Sand Dollar)

BilllyK

Nearly ALL the dives in Cozumel are drift dives. It is just a matter as to how fast the current is at the dive site the day you are there. It does vary.

I'm pretty sure sand dollar takes the cruise dive excursions to nearby easy dive sites and they will be drift dives.

I know you didn't ask about this, but personally I wouldn't go with the ship's dive excursion, especially in Cozumel. There are just too many good small boat dive operators there to go with the ship's cattle boat excursion, IMO.

Not that I am trying to argue with bruce r, as he is a more experienced diver then I am, However I have used Sand dollar a couple of times and have thought they do a really good job. Yes we had 16 people in our group the last time I dove with them, but they had 2 dive masters and we broke into two groups. I have never really experienced the "cattle boat diving" feeling. So I WON'T say that they are the best operators in Cozumel, but they truly aren't horrible as well. Also the last time I was in Cozumel, I tried booking with 2 independent operators, and both were booked for the day and time that I would need, I guess I had bad luck there. So I hope this helps. I am just offering my opinion is all. I am going on the Freedom this march and using Sand Dollar again.

Not that I am trying to argue with bruce r, as he is a more experienced diver then I am, However I have used Sand dollar a couple of times and have thought they do a really good job. Yes we had 16 people in our group the last time I dove with them, but they had 2 dive masters and we broke into two groups. I have never really experienced the "cattle boat diving" feeling. So I WON'T say that they are the best operators in Cozumel, but they truly aren't horrible as well. Also the last time I was in Cozumel, I tried booking with 2 independent operators, and both were booked for the day and time that I would need, I guess I had bad luck there. So I hope this helps. I am just offering my opinion is all. I am going on the Freedom this march and using Sand Dollar again.

I don't view a difference of opinion as arguing, so no problem there. I would suggest to you that you try going with a small boat operator on your next cruise.

How long is the surface interval when you go with the ship's excursion? Is it spend on the boat?

Go with one of the small boat OPs, the usually surface interval is 1 hour minimum and usually at one of the beach clubs. A longer SI is better because it gives you more bottom time on the second dive.

On the ship's dives, are you given a predetermined bottom time? Most private operators will let you dive your computer, so you don't surface until you are low on air or out of time.

Still, if you are happy with the ship's excursion, then it is a fine choice for you. I just want to offer that there are alternatives.

I agree with Bruce, but I understand where the other poster is coming from. We always dove with the cruise ship excursions until about 2 years ago. The difference is night and day (usually) both in bottom time and sites. The cruise ship excursions always go to the easy, convenient (read "not as good") sites. And they always give you a set amount of bottom time. However, some of the small operators will set a conservative time for their dives, also.

The best plan is to do your homework, find out who is the best, and book them on your own! Research here, at some of the scuba web sites, and everywhere you can!

To answer your question about the surface interval, its an hour and its is spent at the resort where Sand dollar is located.

Sorry if i came of a little wrong. Was not meant to. I see you point, as far as trying a small operator, I had a problem last time. I tried 3 different operators. Two were book for the entire day. The last one only had an afternoon dive. I would have missed the boat. Dive started at 2 pm. The other problem is since I usually fly to go cruising, it comes out to be more expensive(dives, epuiptment, and getting to and from) then if I dive from the ship excursion.

The other problem is since I usually fly to go cruising, it comes out to be more expensive(dives, epuiptment, and getting to and from) then if I dive from the ship excursion.

http://www.divewithmartin.com includes "free" rental gear with their dives, and their prices are pretty competitive.

I didn't know what sand dollar did for their SI, so that's why I asked. I know that some of the operators with larger boats don't go to a beach club for the SI.

Depending on the time of year, it is a good idea to make reservations a couple of months in advance (or more).

Again, I'm not trying to argue with you either. I'm just presenting options.

I got you. Thank you for the info. Sorry if came off a snippy or combative. REALLY WASN'T trying to. i will look up that operator and see if they have a dive to do. Thank you again

No problem at all. I never felt that you were being anything but reasonable. I wish more people could conduct an online conversation with your politeness.

Wow, thanks for the great info guys, I really appreciate it.

I was tempted to go with the cruise dive just because this is my first time in Cozumel and I don't know anything about ... well really anything :rolleyes:

But you guys have given me some food for thought, I guess I'll have to do some research into the local dive ops.

Thanks again :cool:

Whatever you decide COZUMEL IS GREAT DIVING. Like I Stated I don't bring my own gear and I have never had a bad experience diving with Sand Dollar. I am not sure if I stated this but I am using them again this March on my cruise. Can't wait.

Bruce-r thanks for the info about Divewithmartin. I have emailed them and waiting to see what they say thanks.

Nearly all Coz dives are drift. We went in Jan and the drift was very slight at Palancar Gardens and slightly more noticeable at Columbia Shallows. We used scubawithalison and loved the experience.

I've not dove with Sand Dollar so I don't know about them but we did do the CCL dive in Roatan and there were 2 dive boats. One boat had 24 divers on it and the other (luckily, mine) had approx 10. Our DM was douche and his pre-dive instruction/information was go under and wait for me to don my equipment and get in.

Just a friendly observation:

Spent a week in Cozumel last year and our DM had everyone in our group surface together, regardless of computer reading due to the drift; they don't like looking for divers! The boat driver followed our bubbles and then picked us up in one (rather big) spot. Good idea to bring sausage and whistle...just in case.

Just a friendly observation:

Spent a week in Cozumel last year and our DM had everyone in our group surface together, regardless of computer reading due to the drift; they don't like looking for divers! The boat driver followed our bubbles and then picked us up in one (rather big) spot. Good idea to bring sausage and whistle...just in case.

There is NO WAY I'd dive with that operator. I pay for a dive and I want the WHOLE dive. I usually get at least 60 minutes on an AL 80 in Cozumel. I don't want some lazy DM telling me the dive is over when the first air hog has sucked his/her tank empty.

I have to out my 2 cents in here. I agree with Bruce we dove with Sand Dollar and I would not ever do it again . Cozumel is where we love to dive to relax and being with Sand Dollar is not relaxing for us . We felt like we were cattle . They dumped us off where a bunch of other Divers were dumped and guess what ..... I GOT LEFT behind there were so many people getting in and out of the water onto boats that I got left with other divers LOL I of course got on another boat that was thiers and I never felt like I was in danger because of the others around me BUT I wouldnt do it again .

We've been to cozumel on cruises about 16 times and made our own arrangements to dive on at least 12 of those trips. Right now, the best operator seems to be Dive with Martin. They've got small enough boats that you don't get the cattle herd feeling. Divers can share their reviews and comments on other boards too, so you'll see what divers (who might not be cruisers) are saying at: divecritic . com (brand new site) and scubaboard . com (many threads) Since there are divers going there in greater numbers, there usually will be more discussion going on about diving. Although, there are plenty of cruisers who dive too.

Archived