Booked Monarch on RCI now reconsidering...

cruzincon

I have just booked my first RCI cruise for 5/30 from LA to mexico. My DH thinks we should stick with carnival and book the Paradise because he has heard bad things about the food on RCI. We do not eat meat so seafood is a big priority with us. We have only been on Ecstacy and Pride thru carnival and enjoyed both. Has anyone been on both the Paradise and Monarch and have an honest opinion as to the two ships crew, food, rooms etc..?

Hi! I can answer your question partially. My DH and I just returned from the 1/7 Paradise 3-day cruise. We loved it. The ship was clean and someone was always cleaning the glass and handrails. The food was excellent. We had lobster the first night and DH asked for an extra and it was brought immediately. I had heard some strange things about Carnival cruises but we thought it was fantastic.

I have been told that you shouldn't compare a 3-day cruise with a 7-day cruise but that's my opinion.

and another thing . . .

I forgot to mention how clean the rooms were. Our steward was great and it was larger than we expected. It was an outside w/window. I actually sat in the window sill a lot of the time watching the water. The biggest surprise was the bathroom. It was much roomier than I expected. The shower curtain did not stick to our you know whats.

Thanks for the input. I called my pvp this evening and left a message that we will be switching to carnival. We will miss the San Diego port and pay a bit more but I think its worth it for the bigger room and I know I will enjoy a carnival cruise.

We cruised a 7-day out of San Juan, PR on the Monarch and I still remember it as one of the best cruises we've been on out of 8 cruises. The food was wonderful, the service was great and the ship had a very soothing, relaxing decor. We had a normal outside cabin and I think it was 165sf compared to Carnival's 185sf - really didn't notice that much of a difference and we'd cruised on the Sensation a year before.

I remember going to the dining room every night excited about the wonderful food - especially the shrimp scampi one night - I ordered two since they were so good.

All this was on a 7-day cruise. Shorter cruises may be quite different now and 3 years might make a difference in quality. But, really, from what we remember, that cruise is at the top of our favorite cruises.

Over the past few years my experience is that as Carnival's food has improved RCCL's has gotten worse.

I'd do paradise myself, she was my favorate ship when she was non-smoking, the decor is nicest of the ships in that class. Monarch has a better buffet and now extra-price food and ice cream areas, but those tiny cabins....:rolleyes:

Archived