Price drop-- Summit, Feb. 2011

PartyAllDaTyme

If you're booked out that far, X just had a drop on February 5th, 2011, Summit Southern Caribbean sailing. I've just been monitoring our booking, but it looks like it's $150 pp across the board, at least for the veranda classes.

I'm so jazzed-- this is our first price drop:D! Not sure what exactly the protocol is here, but figured the best thing to to is to get the word out. I assume other sailings around that time may be affected. I didn't want to just post it on the roll call, since I'm the only one there so far. If there's a better procedure for this, please advise me.

We're opting to bump up to one of the CC1 cabins with a HUGE veranda. A quick search of the threads says 6135/6136 are among the best on Millie class, so our TA is working on bumping us up as I speak-- er, type. Thanks to the knowledge we got from Cruise Critic, we're paying what was the lowest price for a veranda and getting what looks to be the best veranda cabin on the ship:cool::D:cool:! Now let's see if we can parlay that to the penthouse suite:p:rolleyes:!

Hey, Party! Keep watching. That particular cruise often drops the closer you get. I'd bet you it will have at least two more drops. With the new ships garnering the attention, the Summit will surely offer some good pricing. We enjoy that class. BUt mind you, different than the s class.

Where in Wis are you? We are in Waukesha.

For those of us booked on earlier cruises - Are you still eligible for OBC of the difference if there's a price drop after your final payment date?

Call either X or your travel agent ( whomever you booked with) if you notice a drop after the final payment. You will in almost all cases receive an obc to make the difference. :) I say in most cases, because it is up to the travel agent if they want to go thru the little trouble for you. Some actually will charge you a fee.:( But yes, unless it is a new booking only sale of some kind, keep watching the X site after final payment. One of the big advantages to using X.

Hey, Party! Keep watching. That particular cruise often drops the closer you get. I'd bet you it will have at least two more drops. With the new ships garnering the attention, the Summit will surely offer some good pricing. We enjoy that class. BUt mind you, different than the s class.

Where in Wis are you? We are in Waukesha.

Plainfield. Good to know about the potential additional drops. It's gotten to be a habit already-- wake up, find my glasses, go to Celebrity's website. I thought I was maybe still half asleep or dreaming, because what was the price for the lowest balcony cabin was now the price for the highest-- I almost didn't catch it because I saw "the price", and didn't realize it was on the other side of the "lowest-to-highest" dash.

For those of us booked on earlier cruises - Are you still eligible for OBC of the difference if there's a price drop after your final payment date?

Call either X or your travel agent ( whomever you booked with) if you notice a drop after the final payment. You will in almost all cases receive an obc to make the difference. :) I say in most cases, because it is up to the travel agent if they want to go thru the little trouble for you. Some actually will charge you a fee.:( But yes, unless it is a new booking only sale of some kind, keep watching the X site after final payment. One of the big advantages to using X.

General rule is: lower price before you make final payment, difference in price in the form of OBC after. If you want to upgrade to a higher class cabin for the same price, if available, that's an option as well.

However, I'm hoping I didn't slightly shoot myself in the foot, somehow. We booked the cruise while on Solstice in January, and got reduced deposit, $100 OBC, and choice of any available room within the balcony (2A - 2C) category, so we paid for a 2C and got a 2A with a large veranda. Then we transferred the booking to a TA who offered an additional $175 OBC, no fee to make changes. This morning, called her right away to snag a C1 room (6135), did some more digging and found out one of the desirable aft balconies (7208) was available, so switched again (this after calling her and asking her to book 6144 instead of 6135, then frantically calling her back when I found a negative post from someone who had complained about the crew smoking on the small veranda next to it). I didn't think to ask how this would affect our $100 OBC from X-- I assume it won't, since we haven't cancelled the original booking, just changed cabins. But I've harassed our TA enough today; I'm scared to ask.

Another issue cropped up, not directly related to the price drop. We originally booked a 2A for the price of a 2C, and solicited a request for additional OBC if we transferred the booking. The TA we went with quoted us back the 2C rate, the 2A room, and offered $175 OBC. After we make the change today, I get an email from her that, since the price of the cruise has dropped, the OBC from her is now reduced to $150. I was fine with the OBC dropping if the price of the cruise dropped, but we're still paying the same (actually a little more; the prepaid gratuities in CC class are $7 higher). Turns out she apparently based her quote on the cost of a 2A, even though we told her we were only paying for a 2C. It's wrong on the booking confirmation from Celebrity following the booking transfer, and I didn't catch it. Still, it's now the same amount as what we originally received from Celebrity (well, plus the 7 bucks) and what the quote should have been based on, so I thnk this is between the TA and X. It's only $25, but it's like little Johnny said-- "I don't hate school, just the principal of the thing:D!"

We just got off the Summit a week ago. Had an aft cabin #7203 with the huge veranda. It was 10feet wide by 20feet deep. It was very quiet, penthouses below, and staterooms above. These decks are about 75% shaded from overhang from above. I'll try and attach a couple photos.....

There are 2 lounge chairs, 2 regular chairs, 2 small tables and a dining table.....

Summit7203Veranda1.JPG.25e345b4d5607ef0af1169bc2ca816b4.JPG

Summit7203Veranda2.JPG.5395e5a46dc8dc4b000a6ef8e6a40ab9.JPG

Archived