Kids Club question

deeluv4185

We are doing the mexican riveria in March and there is a shore excursion that me and my bf want to do but we were wondering if we could leave our 3 yr on board for the group sitting without there being an adult on board. and is it safe to do so. anyone who has done this?

We are doing the mexican riveria in March and there is a shore excursion that me and my bf want to do but we were wondering if we could leave our 3 yr on board for the group sitting without there being an adult on board. and is it safe to do so. anyone who has done this?

Would be too hard for me to do this, but that's just me...

Is it a ship sponsored excursion?

I don't think there are many children at kids club during port days, maybe because of the charge or activities scheduled. We came back to the ship early on our last cruuse and there was almost no one at the kids club. Like the above poster, I personally wouldn't be comfortable leaving my child on the ship for that length or time (or any really) but to each their own/comfort level.

We have left our kids a few times on board (when they were younger) when the excursions was not for children. At the time I thought it was a great idea for all involved but looking back at my decision, I wouldn't do it again. Only bc I think it would be too tramatic to my kids if the ship sailed and we never came back for them. Of course we never had a problem but you just really don't know what could happen.

My youngest is 12 now so it isn't an issue anymore but my boyfriend's daughter is just 5. Next time we all go on a cruise together, it will have to be "we all go off the ship together or we just all stay on."

But make the best decision for you and your child. We can't tell you what might work for you. But there weren't any kids left in the club when we picked her up and they had been looking for us bc she was ready to go. She was not happy with us at all. That alone, made me feel terrible for leaving her.

PS- We left her bc we were going to be doing ruins all day in the Mexican sun and really thought she would be better off in the ship than with us. WHat do you do?!

On a cruise four years ago when my kids were six and eight we left them in the kids club for the evening while we went ashore to eat dinner in Key West.

I guess its a matter of what you are comfortable with. Will you be gone all day or 2-3 hours. Is your child comfortable with strangers? Just things to think about.

I believe that leaving your child in the Kid's Crew while you go on an excursion is no different than getting a sitter at home and going out (and on port days it IS babysitting - you have to pay for it). I have complete faith in the Kid's Crew staff and I believe your child would be very safe and well taken care of.

The one difference that you have to consider very, very carefully is that you're not just driving away from your house. At home, if your car breaks down, you can take a cab home, or even walk if that's your only option. On an excursion if something goes wrong, you may not make it back. Things can go wrong on board as well, and while at home your sitter can call 911 and then ring your cell and meet you at the hospital, contacting you off the ship is a different story. One of the posters on the family board (who also has a family travel blog) had one of her kids experience a seizure on a cruise and need an emergency airlift. She describes the experience every time someone asks about leaving their child on board.

So, you know the risks and you have to decide how valid they are for you. I would have been 100% confident when my daughter was three that she would not have a medical emergency; you know how prone to illness yours is (as well as family history, etc.). The excursion you're considering is also a factor; how far away will you be? Is it being offered through the ship, which may give you a better sense of security that if something happens they will ensure you get back to the ship?

It's a lot to consider, but only you can decide if you'll feel comfortable leaving her on the ship.

Archived