FINALLY! My really long Victory review 1/17-1/24/10 with MEGA pix!!

scraphappylady

Thanks for the kind words, everyone!

Sandpiper - I can see now why Victory would be awesome for a honeymoon - glad to bring back those memories for you! The next time we get snow here, I'm going to pull all these pictures back out again!

Scarlett - I was happy that my pix came out so well, but with the digital age, I can now take 1000 and delete 999, so I'm bound to get some decent ones in there every now and then! :p Seriously, though, I'm a loyal Canon owner and I love my cameras! The pix I have been showing so far were from my Powershot SX20 IS, but I also have a Powershot D10 that takes both awesome underwater AND above water photos (examples coming later in my review).

I am anxiously awaiting your next entry!! My daughter and I sailed on the Victory last May and we are doing the same exact cruise again this May (but taking her boyfriend along, who has never cruised). Right now it is sleeting here, so reading this today has been a wonderful escape from all this gloominess.

I can't wait to hear what you did each day. I loved having a new island each day, although it was exhausting.

When we were on Victory last year, they had not yet started the Anytime Dining. We chose late seating for our upcoming sailing, but I was wondering if most people choose the Anytime vs the early or late seatings. What was your experience?

Looking forward to reading more! Thanks for all the great detail!!!

David,

Yep, we sailed about 10pm-ish. DH and I arrived at the port around 11:45 am and people started to board around 12:30pm. I'll do more details on all that in my next few posts.

Vicki,

Can you pack me in your luggage? I don't eat much, really. :p

Seriously, you'll have a blast - just pace yourself. I'll try and finish my review before you leave.

-Cathy

Ok, help me out....I'm confused:o.....we are going on this cruise and my tickets say departure is 10:00 pm, you are saying the same thing, but you arrived at 11:45 am and were on the ship at 12:30 pm and then had to wait all day to leave???? Is this correct????

Ok, help me out....I'm confused:o.....we are going on this cruise and my tickets say departure is 10:00 pm, you are saying the same thing, but you arrived at 11:45 am and were on the ship at 12:30 pm and then had to wait all day to leave???? Is this correct????

yes...but you can leave the ship and do things in town and treat it like another port day.

:D

Hi Sooner,

Last year we did basically the same thing - boarded around 12:30. After lunch and dropping our luggage in the stateroom, we went back off the ship and explored Old San Juan. We shopped and then just walked all over the place. My 20 year old daughter is an architecture major and wanted to take a bunch of photos, so we spent a few hours looking around. It is a great city and we felt like we were getting an extra "bonus" since the ship was leaving at 10. Then around 6 or so, we got back on board and had dinner and started the "cruise" part of our vacation. Hope this helps!

We are looking forward to our March 7 sail date as well. It sounds like it will be a great time. I am going crazy trying to figure out what to do at each port though. Any suggestions?

I haven't even thought about what to do at each port, there's so MANY on this cruise, we will be worn out!!! And I am one of those people that loves sea days:p

I love the pictures, the ship looks beautiful! We are used to cruising on the Conquest out of Galveston which is a little bit bigger ship. We are looking forward to a new ship and new itinerary.:D

More please.....

Sorry! Have patience and all will be revealed!! (I just need to be able to get on the boards more often and type faster!!!) As others have said (and i will explain how we did it in my next entry or two), DH and I ended up getting back off the ship and touring Old San Juan for a few hours, which was especially nice this time because of the San Sebastian festival taking place.

Sorry! Have patience and all will be revealed!! (I just need to be able to get on the boards more often and type faster!!!) As others have said (and i will explain how we did it in my next entry or two), DH and I ended up getting back off the ship and touring Old San Juan for a few hours, which was especially nice this time because of the San Sebastian festival taking place.

We wanted to do the Bacardi Rum factory tour and I just checked and they are closed on Sunday's:(

You are doing a great job!

IMG_2066.jpg

IMG_2067.jpg

IMG_2068.jpg

Took this one just for my son - mr. slide man himself!

IMG_2070.jpg

As we headed back inside to check out our room, we saw that the lobby was getting busier.

IMG_2082.jpg

IMG_2081.jpg

At 2:30, the time the rooms were to be done, our hallways were still blocked off, but the doors were not locked, so we squeezed inside and headed for our room. (If they were going to yell at us, I figured it would be better to ask for forgiveness than permission, but no one even cared that we were there!)

Close to our room, we passed a cart with two of our suitcases, and decided to grab them while we could.

IMG_2103.jpg

We had room 6434, the aft wrap deck room on the port (left) side. Because of where the room was located, it was an unusual shape, almost triangular, with plenty of space. We had a couch, but I don’t think it folded out into a bed, since the room was only listed for two people.

These are compiled from both our arriving and departing days. The messy room is obviously as we were getting ready to depart.IMG_3354.jpg

IMG_2102.jpg

IMG_2101.jpg

IMG_3355.jpg

IMG_3353.jpg

Scarlett - I was happy that my pix came out so well, but with the digital age, I can now take 1000 and delete 999, so I'm bound to get some decent ones in there every now and then! :p Seriously, though, I'm a loyal Canon owner and I love my cameras! The pix I have been showing so far were from my Powershot SX20 IS, but I also have a Powershot D10 that takes both awesome underwater AND above water photos (examples coming later in my review).

I just ordered my D10! Can't wait to try it out. And I can't wait to see your water pics. :cool:

I love my Canon too. I have a Rebel XT.

Next, we wandered out onto our balcony and were suitably impressed. I had seen pictures of other aft wraps prior to our trip, but you just can’t understand the size until you see it in person. It held 4 regular chairs and 2 lounges, and could have fit even more.

Looking from the back, near the door, to the side.

IMG_2303.jpg

Side view

IMG_2304.jpg

While it was wonderful to be able to see views off the ship from both the back and side, though, the dividers between the other balconies on the back of the ship were very low and did not offer much privacy. We spent most of our time on the longer side part of the balcony.

During our trip and after much talking, we decided that in the future we would stick with plain balconies. While we feel we did use the wrap balcony enough to justify the cost this time, it was just as easy for us to go up on the main deck during sailaway, and get a three-sided view. And it might be fun to do with our two kids, but most aft wraps don’t seem set up to accommodate four people, and we wouldn’t get an adjoining room just to all fit. We’ll still opt for a balcony every time, but decided another aft wrap won’t be necessary.

While we were exploring our room, the skies had cleared somewhat. Since we had caught a glimpse of part of the San Cristobal fort while wandering the top deck earlier, and it seemed within easy walking distance, we decided to give it a go.

IMG_2062.jpg

As we left, around 3 pm, we did notice that there was not much of a line waiting to board the ship. We made our way in the general direction of the fort, passing by a statue of Christopher Columbus, and taking in the party atmosphere of the festival as we went. As long as we headed uphill and slightly to the right, the fort was pretty hard to miss.

IMG_2108.jpg

IMG_2107.jpg

Scraphapplady,

I think we were in San Juan in Jan. on the Explorer of the Sea the day you guys were leaving on your Victory cruise. San Juan was one of our ports. We left from Cape Liberty and arrived in San Juan on Sunday. I remember seeing the Victory and telling my husband that we cruised her to New England 2 yrs ago. Loved the Victory. So much we are booked on her this May. Just wondered what you did with your carry ons prior to being allowed into your cabins. Please let me know if there is any thing we must do on board or in some of the ports.

Thanks for all the great comments! I'm trying to find as much time to squeeze in writing this as I can - just don't want to forget any of the juicy details! And now we really get into the photo part of it, too.

So, on with the review . . . .

As soon as we reached the lobby, I was in heaven! Not only did I feel like we were finally, officially on our cruise, but the colors that the ship was decorated with were stunning. Deep greens and teal blues, plus hints of shimmering shells everywhere. And, as mentioned by prior Victory cruisers, seahorses everywhere as well. I love decorating with Caribbean colors and schemes and boy, did I get a lot of ideas from the Victory. We were a perfect match!

The lobby

IMG_2009.jpg

IMG_2590.jpg

The photo just doesn't do this justice!

IMG_2587.jpg

Elevators

IMG_2012.jpg

IMG_2601.jpg

IMG_2011.jpg

Your pictures bring back such memories! I have always loved the green 'Nautilus' shell in the ceiling of the Victory's atrium. It is (in my opinion) the most beautiful lobby in the Carnival fleet. Great review.

Archived