San Juan Airport to pier: Where to buy wine?

Crafty Fitzwilly

Hello!

We are taking a taxi from the San Juan Airport to the pier to board the Celebrity Summit. Our flight gets in at 1:40 p.m., the Summit is sailing at 8:30 p.m.

We would appreciate any advice on the best place to pick up a couple of bottles of wine for the cruise - after we land in San Juan.

Should we ask the cab driver to take us somewhere enroute to the pier (then put the two bottles of wine in our luggage), or would it make more sense to board the Summit, then leave the ship (we're assuming that we can do that - ?) and find somewhere in San Juan to buy wine?

First time cruisers here, so we are complete novices.

Thank you for your help! :)

Where does the Summit dock? If it docks in Old San Juan, it is easy to get off the ship and walk around town, but if it docks at the Pan Am Pier, town is not in walking distance.

Both docks actually have a well stocked liquor store right there inside the terminal. In San Juan, we've gotten stuff and carried it right on board. (I have not tried this with Celebrity before, only Carnival, Princess, and Royal Caribbean.) Check Celebrity's liquor policy. Most cruise lines allow you to carry on a limited amount of wine.

Most people don't care for the wine that is available at the pier stores, and that includes me. However, the grocery stores in San Juan do have an ok selection, but I can't give you a specific location for a grocery store.

As previously said, if your ship docks in Old San Juan, you can check in and then walk around town and make some purchases. Or at least you can do that with Princess, and I assume with Celebrity also.

Thank you all for taking the time to respond. Much appreciated.

I assumed that all the ships docked at one main pier in San Juan. After reading your replies and finding out otherwise, I checked and our ship docks at the Pan American pier, which is 15 minutes from Old San Juan. If we have time to take a taxi into Old San Juan to walk around for a bit, we will, otherwise we will most likely purchase wine at the pier. I have checked with Celebrity and we are allowed to bring two bottles of wine on board, with corkage fees applicable if we want to drink it outside of our stateroom.

Thanks again for your help!

We just finished a southern Caribbean cruise on the Caribbean Princess out of San Juan. Finding the prices in the San Juan grocery stores exorbitant, we decided to wait for the duty-free at the terminal. Decent prices, terrible selection. We decided to stick with the Stolichnaya and Cap Morgan.

Upon arrival to the Crown Bay port in St Thomas, we discovered a fabulous grocery store which caters to the private marina in the port. (Get off the ship and take a right, about 1/4 mile). This store has a great selection of wines and champagnes to satisfy any taste. Prices from about $6.00 to over $1,000.

Had no problem bringing on 2 bottles in my sack.

If your cruise stops at St Thomas, as most do, and you don't mind the wait, it's well worth it.

Happy Cruising

Archived