advice for cruising with a newborn

njtom

my wife and I are in the planning stages of a cruise for later this year. we are having a baby in the next week or so (hopefully..) and we will plan our cruise according to the 6 month rule for newborns. does anybody have ant advice or tips on crusing with a baby? We would most likely br cruising out of NJ or maybe florida.

Thanks

Tom

What is Royal Caribbean International's Age Policy?

INFANT POLICY

Infants sailing on a cruise must be at least 6 months old as of the first day of the cruise/cruisetour. However, for Transatlantic, Transpacific, Hawaii, select South American cruises/cruisetours and other selected cruises/cruisetours, the infant (as of the first day of the cruise/cruisetour) must be at least 12 months old.

As of April 22, 2008, the list of cruises to which the 12 month minimum age requirement applies (in addition to all Transatlantic, Transpacific, and Hawaii cruises) is as follows:

• Mariner of the Seas - January 4, 19, February 3, 2009;
  • Splendour of the Seas - March 30, 2009;
  • Legend of the Seas - October 23, 2009.
  • Legend of the Seas - November 4, 2009.

Any cruisetours associated with these cruises are also subject to the 12 month minimum age requirement.

Denial of boarding for infants who do not satisfy these minimum age requirements may also result in the denial of boarding for one or more guests sailing with that infant. No refunds or other compensation shall be due from the cruise line to anyone as a result of the denial of boarding to an underage infant or other accompanying guests.

COngrats on the upcoming arrival of your little one! We cruised with our daughter at 6, 8 and 18 months on NCL. I'll try to give you a few tips based on our experience.

1. Most cruise lines charge full 3rd passenger fare for infants. The exceptions to this are NCL and Disney which only charge taxes and port fees for kids under 2.

2. We chose NCL b/c the freestyle dining and casual attire appealed to us given the unpredictable nature of dining with a baby. We could eat early or later depending on her mood etc. Other cruise lines are not offering "my time dining" etc etc so you can look into that on Carnival, RCCL and others I'm sure.

3. As far as cabin selection goes I would try to get at least a balcony if that is in your budget. You will appreciate the extra space to escape during nap and early bed time. We did a suite which was even better b/c we could watch tv etc etc while DD slept.

4. Most cruise lines do not have a pool area for non-toilet trained kids. There are exceptions to this including Disney and some of the newer RCCL ships. Many people bring an inflatable pool. We brought one but found that our 6 mo was not very interested in it. We used it once on our balcony for a few minutes. To me it wasn't really worth draging it along.

5. Child care for a baby that young is very limited. Disney offers a nursery. I've read that the new RCCL ships (Oasis) also has a nursery but I'm not sure what the age cut off is. I think in cabin babysitting on RCCL and Celebrity also has an age cut off (?1 yr?)

6. Bring all the diapers/wipes etc etc you will need for the trip as you can not get them easily on board. I've read that Disney sells some things but they are expensive. If you are flying one option is to stop at a store on the way from the airport to the pier to stock up.

7. Ask what type of refridgeration will be available in your cabin. We had the steward clean out our mini-fridge so we could but baby food and milk/formula in there. You will need to bring formula with you if you are using that. At 6 mo we had just introduced cereal so we brought that. We also cruised when DD was 8mo and I brought the baby food she ate at home. I've read that some cruise lines will also grind food up for you if you ask.

8. We brought our carseat. You will likely need it to get between the airport and the pier (although I've hear of some people finding ways around this) Using the carseat is the law and to me it is the only safe way to travel with a baby that young. Many excursions on the islands are on buses or taxis that will not accomidate the carseat. This was a big issue for us and I would not take those excursions. We mostly stayed on the boat or walked around the ports a bit.

9. The biggest tip is be prepared for the fact that vacationing with a baby is totally different than going as a couple. It is a wonderful way to spend time together with your new family but it will not be as relaxing and free as your pre-child trips. If you go into it with the right expectations you will have a great time and will make wonderful memories with your little one.

10. If possible bring a grandparent (or nanny) with you so you can get some couple time too.

Ok that is all I can think of off the top of my head. Hope it helps a little. Feel free to ask specific questions if you have any.

Seems like the last post gave you lots of info. We sailed with our son when he was 3 months old. We had a lot of fun. Of course it's different sailing with a baby, but still fun. We even missed the ship out of NJ and had to meet up with the ship two days later in San Juan. Oy! Thank goodness for trip insurance! It'll be fun, just don't expect it to be the same and you'll have fun. I love the pictures we have of our son napping on a lounge chair by the beach - so cute!

Archived