REVIEW: Carnival Victry 2/7/10 -2/14/10 Southern Caribbean

Dirkgun

This was a nice relaxing day after all... however I have never seen so many people on deck at one time other than the Super Bowl party and of course Muster. They were all in our shoes though.... all dressed up and no where to go. It was a good time for my parents to explore the ship and to be able to enjoy the views while catching up on some reading.

IMG_0776.jpg

IMG_0771.jpg

The only time I saw a lot of people at the Lido Buffet was this day...

IMG_0773.jpg

They did have the slide going so there were things to do.

IMG_0788.jpg

IMG_0792.jpg

IMG_0817.jpg

It is called Shipwreck beach it is just a small restarant and bar but they have a number of chairs and umbrellas and usually don't charge for them..... especially if you buy anything from them. I think it is just a little farther up the island from Cockleshell.... When you go south and get to the point in the island where the Atlantic side and the Caribbean side are really close together.... Shipwreck is there just before you go up the hill on your right hand side.

100_2204.jpg

IMG_0721.jpg

Both of these pics are of the same place. Just past the pond on the right hand side there is a small dirt road that leads to the beach. All the Taxi drivers know where it is. It cost us about $6 per person to go there.

Incredible view, doing a great job with your first review, thanks for sharing!

UNFORTUNATELY we got back to San Juan (the end of our Journey). I would have loved to stay on for another loop around the Southern Itinerary.... but it was not to be. We had a leisurely Breakfast on Lido and just kind of waited around until most other people were off. We did not leave San Juan until tuesday so we were in no hurry. We had a pretty much painless Disembarkation. Our porter got all of our bags and helped us get to the line that moved the quickest.... A smile and how do you do from Customs and then he wheeled our bags across the street and to the lobby of the Sheraton Old Town which was to be our new (not so deluxe) home for the next couple of days. We tipped him well for the extra trouble and thanked him for the service. The Sheraton was a mad house.... Finally we got prechecked in and got our luggage stored until our rooms were ready. Then we out to try to ride that elusive trolley again. Here we are at stop number 1 to see if that might help... nope it did not.

IMG_0848.jpg

We did finally get on the bus type trolley to get us up to the Fort again. We wandered around up there and got some more pics.... watched families flying kites and picnicing again.

IMG_0856.jpg

IMG_0864.jpg

IMG_0856.jpg

Have I mentioned how much I love San Juan.... it is a great place to hang out. There is so much to do and see. Even though we had seen a lot of things the first two times we were here and then just a week ago (cruise time) ... it was still fun to see all of it again and just appreciate the views and local flavor of the city. We stayed at the Sheraton in Old Town. It is a great location.... kind of a cool pool location (up on their roof) where you can watch the Victory leave port again. The hotel is a great location .... however we did not have such a great stay there. We encountered some not so great service about a room issue. Not a big deal just not as friendly as they could have been. I would still stay there again especially for the screamin deal we got ($70 per room) on Priceline. :cool:

Sunday night we got to watch "our" ship leave port with other people in our rooms..... from the roof top pool area of the Sheraton. It was a pretty sight but rather sad.

IMG_0871.jpg

Monday Morning we got up, picked up our rental car and headed out to the rain forest. I was a little nervous about driving here... from all the cab rides, but oddly enough.... if you don't try to pass everyone and fit into the smallest spaces you can.... it is really a lot like driving back home. We found our way to the rain Forest without much trouble.

DSCF7322-1.jpg

This walkway takes you into the visitors center in "EL YUNQUE" it goes through the tops of the trees... kind of cool.

DSCF7317.jpg

Up the road a little bit was La Coca falls very pretty ...

IMG_0888.jpg

IMG_0890.jpg

Edited by Dirkgun

Everywhere you look there is some kind of wonderful. Whether it is the foliage, the wildlife, or the panoramic views. It is a great place to visit.

DSCF7367.jpg

DSCF7366-2.jpg

DSCF7365.jpg

The view from the top of the tower toward the east coast of Puerto Rico.

DSCF7379-1.jpg

more from up top....

DSCF7388.jpg

IMG_0898-1.jpg

DD missing the ship's escargot.....?

IMG_0904.jpg

IMG_0905.jpg

PS.... there were no actual snails harmed in the re-enactment of this picture...Lol

Views of the rental car and the worlds worst cab/tour operator (very uninformed)....LOL

IMG_0915.jpg

IMG_0916.jpg

This is another observation tower... that is way up top and a long hike to get there, but from what we heard very worth the time if you get the chance.

DSCF7451.jpg

Edited by Dirkgun

We were going along fine and then..... we all got attacked by a snake (two at a time taking turns) it was a very well mannered snake (my favorite kind)

DSCF7483.jpg

DSCF7491.jpg

DSCF7485.jpg

DD was the only one who escaped the clutch of the snake... maybe because she was the photoagrapher...

DSCF7468.jpg

What a great day. we then drove back to San Juan and had a nice dinner, then made sure we were packed and ready to go for the next morning.... early flights home. Just like everyone says , make sure you send your luggage through the USDA inspection first .... I saw a few people have to back outside and do it after they waited in line for check in.

Summary.... We loved this cruise/ vacation... one of the best we have ever been on. I would do this outstanding itinerary again in a heartbeat. We did not encounter any problems from anyone on the ship like you hear about some times. Just a fabulous time in a few different paradises....

Thanks

Dirk

You had a wonderful review and oddly enough we were the ones on "YOUR" ship 02/14:o. Yes, you are so right...this is a wonderful ship and cruise. My family and I enjoyed from the time we were checked on the boat until the day we gave our farewells:(.... and what made it even better was the fact that we are from New Orleans.... so it was like our vacation after winning the superbowl and an escape from the midwest weather as I currently live in Kansas City!!!!!!

We enjoyed ourselves so much we have already paid deposits on our cruise next year Feb. On carnival Spirit:D.

Thanks for the wonderful memories.....and sorry we had to take her away from you....Have a blessed day:)

Dirkgun

Thank you very much for the pictorial. It was very informative and your pictures were great! It looks like you and your family had a wonderful time.

Too bad about missing St. Maarten though. That would have been the one port I didn't want to miss, especially if the Victory was right at the dock. Still on a port intensive cruise like this, I would imagine that the sea day would have given you more time to explore the ship.

This is the third Victory review I have seen recently on this board. I have been looking at this itinerary for about a year now. After reading these reviews, I took the plunge and booked this cruise last weekend. Less than a month to go for us!

Once again, thanks for sharing your experience!

Thank you so much for writing this review! We have always wanted to do the Southern Caribbean. Your review convinced us to just do it! We leave on April 25th!

Thanks for the kind words.... You will have a blast. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Thanks for the nice comment. Yes we would like this cruise on a yearly basis..... it is a fun itinerary. It would take a while before you were bored with all the things to see on each island.:D

Dirkgun, Great review, bringing back many memories, you need to take your own advice.... this will be our third time on this itinerary, WOW there is so much to do and see.

Thanks again,

Brookie & Ed:cool:

Dirkgun, Great review, bringing back many memories, you need to take your own advice.... this will be our third time on this itinerary, WOW there is so much to do and see.

Thanks again,

Brookie & Ed:cool:

I think we will try to do it at least a few more times. Thanks for the comments.