Upgrade on Sea Princess - good or bad???

Cali_Chick

Hiya everyone.

I just received a notice from Princess that we have been upgraded from GG to CC. A big difference from an obstructed oceanview to a deluxe oceanview!

But, when I look at the cabin, it's in the front of the ship. From what I have read, it can get bumpy if you're in the front of the ship. I'm worried about Mom and her getting sea sick (me too for that matter since I've never been on a cruise).

If I call Princess will they change our room? Either back to the GG or something between the GG & CC that is mid ship?

I don't want to seem ungrateful, because it's very nice of them, but I don't think it's a good room for us.

Any ideas?

The lowest deck midship is the most stable. If you are very motion sensitive, a guarantee cabin, usually the cheapest option but not by much, is not a good idea as princess can put you anywhere to fill in the empty spots and you have no choice as to location. My advice is to take Bonine prophylactically and you will be fine. Happy cruising!

I you look at the deck plan the CC grade cabins are extra big. They are the size of a normal cabin plus the extra bit which is taken by the balcony in neighbouring cabins.

I would accept the move and hope for calm waters. (and pack some pills)

We were going to do the patches so hopefully will be ok. I think I'll be fine as motion doesn't usually bother me.

I was just worried about the actual motion of the ship - it won't interfere with sleeping or anything? Drawers won't open and close on their own? :D

Since this is my first cruise, I really don't know what it will be like.

Personally I like to feel a bit of movement to remind me I am on a ship. It is nice to be gently rocked to sleep.You may not feel anything at all.

You won`t get drawers opening or anything like that.

Enjoy the cruise.:)

One little piece of advice is, especially if you are not usually prone to motion sickness, do not use the patch as your first line of defense against seasickness. Things like Bonine, ginger, dramamine, sea bands work very well for mild seasickness and do not give you an altered sense of taste, very dry mouth, and other unpleasant side effects that the patch usually does.

One little piece of advice is, especially if you are not usually prone to motion sickness, do not use the patch as your first line of defense against seasickness. Things like Bonine, ginger, dramamine, sea bands work very well for mild seasickness and do not give you an altered sense of taste, very dry mouth, and other unpleasant side effects that the patch usually does.

I totally agree with Carolyn here. Some have very bad side effects from the patches, that can be almost worse that seasickness. Always bring an althernate sea sickness prevention with you, just in case you are one of the unlucky ones that can not use them. (from one who has been there, and can not where the patch no matter how bad the sea conditions are). ;)

Ack! Now I'm confused! So, would I take the Bonine, ginger, etc. before the cruise and keep taking it during the cruise? Or wait to see if I do get hit with motion sickness and then start taking it?

Ack! Now I'm confused! So, would I take the Bonine, ginger, etc. before the cruise and keep taking it during the cruise? Or wait to see if I do get hit with motion sickness and then start taking it?

What I have found is that if someone thinks (or doesn't know) if they will get seasick, it is always best to take a Bonine the night before you board the ship. Then you can take one at bedtime each night for the first day or so, and then see how you take the sea conditions. If no problems, then stop taking it. Otherwise continue to at least take it at night. Many take a day or so to actually get their 'sea legs' and after that they are fine. I watch the first night at dinner, even when the seas aren't that rough and see many run from the dining room with hands over their mouths. After the first night, you rarely see that again unless you have very rough seas.

Keep one thing in mind, it is much easier to prevent seasickness then to try to get rid of it once it grabs ahold of you.

What I have found is that if someone thinks (or doesn't know) if they will get seasick, it is always best to take a Bonine the night before you board the ship. Then you can take one at bedtime each night for the first day or so, and then see how you take the sea conditions. If no problems, then stop taking it. Otherwise continue to at least take it at night. Many take a day or so to actually get their 'sea legs' and after that they are fine. I watch the first night at dinner, even when the seas aren't that rough and see many run from the dining room with hands over their mouths. After the first night, you rarely see that again unless you have very rough seas.

Keep one thing in mind, it is much easier to prevent seasickness then to try to get rid of it once it grabs ahold of you.

Whew! Thank you so much. Will definately be picking some up for the cruise.

That is just what I did when I started cruising and still do now. I have never suffered from sea-sickness but whether that is due to me taking the medication or that I would not suffer from it anyway, it gives me peace of mind and also gives DH a laugh. I usually follow this course for a first few days of a cruise and then forget to take the pills (with no ill effects). We even sailed the Tasman Sea with huge seas and I suffered no ill effects. I am sure you and your mother will be fine. If you do suffer from severe sea-sickness, the doctor on board usually has a 'magic needle' which will help;)

I have not and would not try the patches as I have heard many adverse reports on them. Lots of people try the wristbands but I don't really see how they can help, other than having a placebo effect on the person wearing them. Not fond of ginger so have no tried that but it is reported as being very good for nausea.

Hiya everyone.

I just received a notice from Princess that we have been upgraded from GG to CC. A big difference from an obstructed oceanview to a deluxe oceanview!

But, when I look at the cabin, it's in the front of the ship. From what I have read, it can get bumpy if you're in the front of the ship. I'm worried about Mom and her getting sea sick (me too for that matter since I've never been on a cruise).

I don't want to seem ungrateful, because it's very nice of them, but I don't think it's a good room for us.

My Mom and I have been given a front of the ship cabin, too. This isn't our upgrade. I don't think it's so bad, but Mom doesn't like it. Why do you think Princess upgraded you? Have you taken many cruises with them? Did you pay full fare? I'm curious, because with Mom's discontent, I'm hoping they will change our cabin. Thanks. Judy

I was offered a similar upgrade on the island princess and declined it. I prefer my mid ship obstructed view to a far forward cabin. Last DEC I also was given this upgrade and took it but NEVER again, it was very sea sickening! It was also so far from the lifts that If I forgot something I was reluctant to go back to the cabin, it was a long hike. That's my opinion for what it's worth.

Hiya everyone.

If I call Princess will they change our room? Either back to the GG or something between the GG & CC that is mid ship?

Any ideas?

That's funny because we just got a similar upgrade up to Baja -- but we were not assigned in the first place. If you are going on 7/31, you might want to see if D326 is still available. It is GG handicapped. Bigger than other cabins and might be good for your mom if she is older. (You do not have to be officially handicapped, and at this late date, Princess gives those cabins out.) Otherwise, I think CC cabins are good because they are bigger. We actually opted for DD on Caribe because the cabin is closer to the middle. So check that out too; it is also deluxe. (Go to Princess site as if you are buying and see what cabins are open in CC or lower -- now that you are CC, you have more options.)

We took this same cruise last year over July 4th. (Yes we are doing it again with the family, again.) We were in D227, WAY at the front! We hit some weather the second day out, off the Oregon coast, and my husband got really sick (took a shower when we were rocking!). But that rarely happens (it was our second sailing out of SF to Alaska, and we were fine the first time), and you should also note that the forward cabins on Aloha are farther back than the forward cabins on Dolpihn. Also, if your itinerary has you going to Vancouver first, the ship might not go as far out to sea as it does when it goes to Ketchikan. That's my hope anyway, and I'm stickin' to it.

All that said, I use bands, and sometimes Bonine, and once he took Bonine (after the big event), he was fine within an hour. I talked to my doctor about patches and she suggested I try Bonine first because patches have some side effects. And you will only need them on the trip up. (For some reason due to currents, we were assured the return would be better, and it was.)

Phenergan is a prescription drug that works wonderfully. I have a very bad stomach and it takes very little motion before I'm sick. The shot that cruiselines use to use contained Phenergan. It does make me sleepy so I take a little bite (not the whole tablet) and sleep well. It also calms the stomach. The patch made me sick and ginger, etc. did not work for me when the waves were kicking up. Last cruise I was reading in bed at night and the ship was rocking. I wasn't sick at all. I gave my mother in law some and she didn't get sick either. My father in law did.

Archived