Getting from airport/rental car to Port in FLL

nchristo

Does anyone know what (if any) rental car companies have free shuttles to the port in fort lauderdale from their site or from the airport?

I read they have a shuttle that you can pay for but someone told me they have a free one. Any idea?

For the reverse (post cruise) is a taxi the easiest way or again is there a shuttle? I imagine the shuttles are packed. Advice?

Does anyone know what (if any) rental car companies have free shuttles to the port in fort lauderdale from their site or from the airport?

I read they have a shuttle that you can pay for but someone told me they have a free one. Any idea?

For the reverse (post cruise) is a taxi the easiest way or again is there a shuttle? I imagine the shuttles are packed. Advice?

Most have free shuttles to the port. When you drop off your vehicle, walk upstairs and wait on the sidewalk for the shuttle to the port. We rented from Thrifty at the airport in Jan., dropped off the car and got on the free shuttle to the port. After the cruise we opted for walk off and got into a taxi and were at the airport before 8:00 am.

As long you are renting from one of the companies set up at the airport, you can get a free shuttle from the airport to the port and from the port to the airport. They also have a shuttle that will pick you up or take you to whatever terminal you are flying from.

Darlene

Most have free shuttles to the port. When you drop off your vehicle, walk upstairs and wait on the sidewalk for the shuttle to the port. We rented from Thrifty at the airport in Jan., dropped off the car and got on the free shuttle to the port. After the cruise we opted for walk off and got into a taxi and were at the airport before 8:00 am.

You were lucky because Thrifty does not participate with the free port shuttle. If the shuttle driver would have asked to see your rental agreement they would have asked to get off the shuttle. We know because it happened to us.

Just be aware that not all of the car rental companies participate in the free port shuttle.

You were lucky because Thrifty does not participate with the free port shuttle. If the shuttle driver would have asked to see your rental agreement they would have asked to get off the shuttle. We know because it happened to us.

Just be aware that not all of the car rental companies participate in the free port shuttle.

I'm sorry it was Alamo not Thrifty!!!!!

We rented from National in January and they provided the free shuttle. Keep in mind that the shuttle runs from 11a - 3p. I had read that on here and when I inquired at the National desk I was told that I was misinformed. When I got outside and tried to board the shuttle (at 10a) the driver told me that the shuttle doesn't start to run back to the port until 11a. We ended up taking a cab to the port.

Prior to returning the rental car at the airport we stopped at the pier and dropped off our luggage with the porters. This way we only had to deal with our carry on. It was so easy and definately one of the best decisions we made.

If you have a copy of a reservation with you from a participating rental co. you can take the shuttle back to the airport from the pier. I took a cab back since we weren't renting a car that day, just flying home.

We just sailed on the Emerald last week and rented our car beforehand from Royal.

When we dropped it off at the airport the Sunday morning of the departure we asked about a shuttle to the port and they said, nope, we will drive you ourselves.

He then loaded us and our luggage into another of their rental vehicles and drove us over, he took a back route into the port that had no lineups and he had us at terminal 2 in under 5 minutes.

We were very impressed.

Paul

Prior to returning the rental car at the airport we stopped at the pier and dropped off our luggage with the porters. This way we only had to deal with our carry on. It was so easy and definately one of the best decisions we made.

We do this as well. It sure makes for an easy embarkation :D

I rented a car a few weeks ago from National and had planned on using the shuttle as they participate in the program. Once I dropped off the car I waited in quite a line for about 15/20 minutes and finally gave up waiting and went back to the main terminal outside of baggage claim and took a shared van for $11.00 to the ship. Upon returning, as I walked out of the terminal building, the shuttle was pulling up...so hopped on. While not all of the car rental companies participate, this driver did not ask for proof that we had rented from a specific company..so I think it is a gamble as to who the driver is and what they require.

When I cheked at the rental car terminal in October, National, Hertz and Alamo were in the shuttle program..but was told that that changes from time to time.

We rented from National in January and they provided the free shuttle. Keep in mind that the shuttle runs from 11a - 3p. I had read that on here and when I inquired at the National desk I was told that I was misinformed. When I got outside and tried to board the shuttle (at 10a) the driver told me that the shuttle doesn't start to run back to the port until 11a. We ended up taking a cab to the port.

If you have a copy of a reservation with you from a participating rental co. you can take the shuttle back to the airport from the pier. I took a cab back since we weren't renting a car that day, just flying home.

This is a great idea. thanks for the tip!

We too dropped off our luggage and I had family to drop off. They got in line and I dropped off the rental car at the airport. I rented from a non participating rental company and still got on the shuttle, no questions asked. I was going to take a cab but one of the workers told me just to take the shuttle because it was free, and if asked just to say I rented from X company. So thats what I did....Free shuttle ride to port and no hassles.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived