Re-boarding ID for Children

Laphroig

What type of ID is required for children (ie. under 12) when re-boarding the boat after a day in port?

I assume adults need some type of photo ID but my kids don't have this and I don't want to bring our passports with us during excursions.

When cruising with my DD, ages 2 and 3 at the time, I made a color copy of her passport and brought that on shore with me to use as her ID. If I recall correctly, the times I didn't offer it with her S&S card, I was never asked to show ID for her, but most of the time I just had it out with her card.

What type of ID is required for children (ie. under 12) when re-boarding the boat after a day in port?

I assume adults need some type of photo ID but my kids don't have this and I don't want to bring our passports with us during excursions.

That largely depends on the port. At some ports, you will only need your Sign and Sail card. Other ports will require a picture ID and birth cert or a passport. (We had to show ID every time we went back and forth to the ship the last time I was in Bermuda. I know at Cozumel all we needed was a SnS card.) Generally, for young children, the parents can vouch for them if they don't have a picture ID. *IF* ID other than the SnS is required and your kids are under 16, and you're cruising on a birth certificate, they might ask the kids some questions to make sure they're yours (like, how are you related to this person?) as well as ask you some questions about your kids.

If you're opting not to go the passport route, you might want to see if your state DMV (or the Canadian equivalent) offers a non-driver's ID and at what age they start issuing them. Also acceptable are school IDs.

When we were in Nassau in June 2009 the port authority was checking Sail & Sign Card along with a Driver License, Birth Cert., or Passport before letting you onto the pier. We had left our passports onboard so luckily we had our driver licenses in our wallets.

On these stops: Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Jamaica, Costa Rica, Belize, Roatan, Panama - children just need their sail and sign. (I'm sure there are many others, but I will only vouch for the ones I have been to in the last two years) We do not have passports and our kids all under 13 would not have state issued id's. Not a problem.

Archived