ship time vs Grand Cayman time?

rjmontana

Am considering booking a trip with Stingray Sailing while in G/C with the Carnival Valor the week of 4/11/10. Got info from Stingray but not sure if port of call times are ship time or G/C time or maybe they're the same?? Any insight appreciated..

RJ in Montana

Am considering booking a trip with Stingray Sailing while in G/C with the Carnival Valor the week of 4/11/10. Got info from Stingray but not sure if port of call times are ship time or G/C time or maybe they're the same?? Any insight appreciated..

RJ in Montana

Daylight Savings Time starts Sunday. The Cayman Islands dont observe DST. So while the shiptime will be lets say 8am, Cayman time will be 7am. They will be an hour behind due to them not observing DST.

Thanks, that helps..Are the port times listed on ship itinerary's the actual ship time or are the times listed in port the actual time it will be at that particular port???

Daylight Savings Time starts Sunday. The Cayman Islands dont observe DST. So while the shiptime will be lets say 8am, Cayman time will be 7am. They will be an hour behind due to them not observing DST.

Thanks, that helps..Are the port times listed on ship itinerary's the actual ship time or are the times listed in port the actual time it will be at that particular port???

I'm not sure if it's the same on all cruise lines, but I just talked to two different Princess representatives who indicated the itinerary time is LOCAL time. So, when I arrive in Grand Cayman on March 15, it will be 7 AM in Grand Cayman. The ship time will likely be different -- usually the ship stays in the timezone of the departure port.

Michelle, the rep from Stingray Sailings, will explain the time to you. She did me and from what I understand, the ship maintains the time that the port it leaves from. Now, Grand Cayman does not have daylight savings time. SO if your port has daylight savings time, ie Florida and New York, then Cayman time would be one hour earlier. If you get into GC at 8:00 ship time, then onland it would only be 7.

Michelle is the one who recommended I check into the time difference as she was not sure if the ship time and G/C time would be the same or different..

I spoke with a Carnival rep today also and she said that the ship adjusts it "ship time" to sync with the time zones the port of calls are in??

This seems to contradict some of the replies???

DST starts 3/14 in 2010. Just clarifying. I'm figuring out the same thing for the same excursion for 3/2/10. The ship stays on EST out of Tampa; I believe that Cayman is one hour behind. So when they say to meet at 9 a.m., that is 9 a.m. local time, 10 a.m. ship time.

I think that's right... Even with 10+ cruises, this is still so confusing. Why is that?!? :confused: :D

Michelle is the one who recommended I check into the time difference as she was not sure if the ship time and G/C time would be the same or different..

I spoke with a Carnival rep today also and she said that the ship adjusts it "ship time" to sync with the time zones the port of calls are in??

Carnival ships stay on the time of the port they left out of. When you are in Grand Cayman, which is in the Eastern time zone, but does NOT observe daylight savings, the ship will be an hour ahead of the local time. The times in port are ship's time - not local times - and they will remind you to stay on SHIP'S TIME when you are port. Roatan and Belize will be 2 hours behind (central time zone - no daylight savings) and Cozumel will be 1 hour behind (central time zone - daylight savings observed starting the first Sunday in April).

Here is a Caper from February on the Valor (Belize) that states to stay on the ship's time...

735828534_Valor-Day5-Belize(1).jpg.1fe35ee597024e2970ce33ebf620b7b4.jpg

Thank you Bumbles, that makes more sense than the ship adjusting its time at each port of call...That just didn't sound right..

In all fairness, I may have misunderstood what the Carnival rep was trying to explain as it was kind of a confusing and hard to understand conversation from the get go..

I will operate off of your info and assume ship time will always be current EST whether prior to or after DST kicks in in a couple of weeks..

Just to clarify, what your saying is right now at this moment a Carnival ship out of Miami and Grand Cayman would be observing the same time. In April when we will be there the ship will be 1 hr ahead of G/C time??

I want to apologize if I led people astray. I went back and re-read Michelle's email and she was very clear on what time G/C observes and the different possible times various ships may be observing. Her main point was merely to check with the cruise line prior to booking to make sure we knew what time zone the ship would be observing to ensure tenders would be available at both ends of the tour..She did a fine job of explaining, I did a poor job of understanding with the intial read...

Thanks for all the help from the CC board..

I will operate off of your info and assume ship time will always be current EST whether prior to or after DST kicks in in a couple of weeks..

Just to clarify, what your saying is right now at this moment a Carnival ship out of Miami and Grand Cayman would be observing the same time. In April when we will be there the ship will be 1 hr ahead of G/C time??

Yes, that is correct. It gets confusing crossing time zones so I know how you feel!! :) It also doesn't help that some cruise lines DO adjust to local time.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived