Round trip to Alaska on Volendam - review (better late than never ;))

loty

So, we survived our first cruise to Alaska in july 2009 - well it was our first cruise at all. We boarded MS Volendam one rainy morning in Vancouver (pics of Vancouver here).

The trip started with the nicest sunset ever and the first day at sea was gone before we even realised it. We tryed some cooking classes and karaoke show, watched some great movies and enjoyed the best food - specially fresh sea food, some fish we never even got to try here in Europe. (for bigger pics click on them or check them in gallery)

d06-0481-0485.jpg

Before our first stop in Juneau, we sailed into Tracy Arm. There was too much ice on the water to come close to glacier, but it was still very nice and very cold (it was july!!).

d08-0056.jpg

After a short walk around and search for free wifi, we were picked up by our bus driver to go on photo safari by land and sea. First we went on the water to search for whales. We soon spotted them and watched how they bubble fed. Was really nice and we got some nice pics.

d08-0490.jpg

After whale watching we went on a nice trail, looking around ous to spot some bears, cause salmon fest just started. Our guide said we are a week too soon and maybe it was better that way - I'm not really sure I wanna get close and personal with Grizzy!

During night ship has moved to Skagway, where we had nice morning discovering local shops and life there.

d09-0140.jpg

Later that day a fast smaller ship took us to Haines, where we were driving around with small bus, explore nature and seek wild life.

d09-0793.jpg

Next day we had a cruise day in Glacier Bay National Park. It was very nice to see up close and personal those glaciers and see how they crack. It was really nice, sunny and warm day.

d10-0271.jpg

Next morning was the only day we had bad weather, but still not too bad. Was just a little foggy and rainy, but that didn't stop us to explore Ketchikan.

After some souvernirs shopping, we went back on the ship. Ketchikan was the only place where we didn't book a tour with the ship, but it was nice to explore on our own. We had a great time. After that it took us another day on sea, but I must say I never found a moment to be bored onboard. We met some new friends and cruise was really nice experience.

If some of you wants to see some more pics, please check out this gallery and some others as well from the rest of our trip.

Hope you like this review and I'll be happy to hear your feedback.

Archived