Duty Free purchase prior to travel.

dickwho

I seem to recall in the mists of my mind that one can exercise their access to duty free goods some weeks prior to departing Oz.

That is of course on production of a ticket to ride.

Is anyone able to deny or confirm this?

We are travelling on the Dawn Princess departing SYD on 21May10, to circumnavigate the world.

Any other information that may be relevant would be appreciate also.

We have travelled from the UK to Oz on the QE2, but I'm told that P & O isn't Cunard in terms of passenger needs. What say you?

Hi Dickwho! Just been shopping as I'm on the Sun Princess in 4 days. Syd. Airport won't sell duty free to cruisers.Only place I could find is DFS Galleria at 155 George St next to Circular Quay. A huge upmarket complex catering mainly to Asian Tourists. I shopped only on the top floor for cigarettes but window shopped other areas and was lmpressed! You will need to register for a 'shopping card ' when you arrive and show your cruise ticket and photo ID. You can then make purchases anywhere in store. You take your goods with you and show to customs as you board at Quay or Wharf 8.Good luck and enjoy your excellent cruise! Regards Jaffle.

Some good info here... http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page4646.asp

You can purchase goods anywhere within 30 days of departure, ie; camera, laptop, etc.

Tip.. For purchases of $1000 or more make sure that the receipts states "tax invoice" and the business ABN and your full name and address is shown on your purchase receipt.

Another little trick they dont tell you is that if you board say in sydney and the ship has another port of call prior to leaving australian waters, say brisbane, the TRS customs official will be at the last port of call.

Dedicated duty free shops will know the drill but its nice to know you can shop elsewher.

Enjoy your holiday.:)

PS.. Cigarettes & liquour can be purchased onboard at their duty free shop. Cigarettes seemed comparable with D/F prices ashore. Can't comment on liquor.

DP is a beautiful ship.

I agree with Bizzie cruiser shop around and make sure you know the real price of whatever your are thinking of purchasing..often "duty free" stores are not that cheap at all.

Anything over $300 with a tax invoice can be claimed back from the TRS desk.

Wish I was off to see the world on a cruise ship...sigh...nothing booked and very depressed about it.:(

You can buy anything you like before you go and claim back the GST, only conditions are - any receipt must be for $300 or more and you must have the goods on your person and able to show to the TRS when you travel through the Australina point of "exit".

AND as posted previously, must be within 30 days of departure to get the GST refund.

Happy shopping and cruising!

You can buy anything you like before you go and claim back the GST, only conditions are - any receipt must be for $300 or more and you must have the goods on your person and able to show to the TRS when you travel through the Australina point of "exit".

The advantage of using the TRS is that you can buy any goods from any shop within 30 days of departure and they are not sealed up like Duty Free items. Therefore you can read up on instructions and set up and even use items like cameras, phones and laptops before you leave. When we bought a camera about 3 years ago, I rang the TRS and they told me that all I needed to present to the desk was the camera. Perhaps best to check if this is still the case because it means you can leave all packaging, cords, software etc. that you won't need for the trip, at home.

We used the TRS again in January this year at Wharf 8, Sydney and the refund was in our account before the cruise ended.

Archived