Rental Car In Cayman or Stingray Tour?

jjdjcruisers

Ok, this is my families very first cruise. I am trying to decide what to do for our stop in Cayman. I am one who always tries to do my homework before the trip to ensure we have the best time possible. (Let me tell you these boards have been a tremendous help!!):D We are scheduled to stop in Cayman from 7:00am-4:00pm (which if what I have learned is local times of 6:00am-3:00pm)(which means the last tendor back to ship would be 2:15 local time):confused:. I was considering doing a sting ray tour, but also wanted to have time to check out the 7mile beach, Sea Grape, or something. Ok, so my predictament is that we wouldn't have time to do much of anything else if we did the stingray tour, for those of you who have done this please let me know how much time you have had, the other option I am pondering is to rent a car and drive around the Island on our own, so we can visit several beaches, see Hell, and other things and get the most out of our short time there, has anyone done this option? If so, where (how close to port) do you rent the vehicles? Thank you ol' wise cruisers. ;)

I would have to agree with SassyCruiser. We've now been to GC several times and our first time we did Stingray City. It was really the highlight of that cruise. Yes, GC has some beautiful beaches and it is a lovely island, but I think the Stingray City option is the best thing to do in GC unless you don't want to get wet. We have rented a car on GC and we will be doing it again in about a week, so I can tell you how to do just that. Most of the agencies are at the airport. Avis and Budget will send a shuttle to pick you up near the tender pier. Ask them where exactly when you reserve your rental. There are a couple of locally owned rental companies at the airport as well, and one you can walk to near the tender pier. If you do a Google search for GC car rentals, you'll find those companies. You will need to pay a small fee for an international DL, and I would recommend getting the full coverage insurance since you'll be driving on the left-hand side of the road. Our last time, we did drive out to Hell. It was interesting, but, honestly, we probably spent all of 20 minutes there, and that included looking at the postcards. This time, we'll be driving to the East end, and then around to Rum Point to the beach there to do some snorkeling.

Hope this helps with your decision.

What are the general costs for a rental? We want to go to Rum point Beach and the toursa don't seem to spend much time there.

Well, it depends on the size vehicle you want, of course and model and from whom you rent. We're renting a 5-passenger SUV from AVIS for just under $100 which includes the intern'l DL and all insurances. This will be split between 2 couples, so it is a good deal for us, as it is much less than doing a ship's excursion and we can do what we want to do when we want to do it.

If you can't tender in or miss the port, is there a cancellation charge? Where did you get the int'l DL cost info. I didn't see anything on their site about it.

http://www.aviscayman.com/CoverageInformation.htm

We did not have to secure the reservation with a credit card, so there is no cancellation charge if we do not make the port.

Where do we rent a car in Grand Caymen? Does anyone know if our regular car insurance covers us here?

http://www.caymanonline.com/info/cars/index.shtml

As far as your local car insurance covering you on GC, we were told by our agent that when we are out of the country, we should purchase the rental car coverage when renting a car. And, even if your local insurance would cover you, for the small cost of the comprehensive coverage, I'd purchase it. You just never know what may happen, and with purchasing the comprehensive coverage, you can just walk away. You do have to get back to the ship, after all. You don't need to be hassling over a dent in a car. JMO, though.

I would recommend the turtle farm and beach, Stingray city and then a bit of shopping downtown near the dock. It's a great island and save the car for when you revist or spend a week there like we are doing a second time.

I would recommend the turtle farm and beach, Stingray city and then a bit of shopping downtown near the dock. It's a great island and save the car for when you revist or spend a week there like we are doing a second time.

How would you recommend doing these things? Bus, Cab or tour of some kind? Thanks.

is taking a tour. Either the ship's or one offered as you go down the pier. It's a pretty standard tour just different prices and if taking a private one make sure that they will be there to take you back from the beach at a requested time. Don't pay until you return to town.

Ok, this is my families very first cruise. I am trying to decide what to do for our stop in Cayman. I am one who always tries to do my homework before the trip to ensure we have the best time possible. (Let me tell you these boards have been a tremendous help!!):D We are scheduled to stop in Cayman from 7:00am-4:00pm (which if what I have learned is local times of 6:00am-3:00pm)(which means the last tendor back to ship would be 2:15 local time):confused:. I was considering doing a sting ray tour, but also wanted to have time to check out the 7mile beach, Sea Grape, or something. Ok, so my predictament is that we wouldn't have time to do much of anything else if we did the stingray tour, for those of you who have done this please let me know how much time you have had, the other option I am pondering is to rent a car and drive around the Island on our own, so we can visit several beaches, see Hell, and other things and get the most out of our short time there, has anyone done this option? If so, where (how close to port) do you rent the vehicles? Thank you ol' wise cruisers. ;)

If you are stopping in Grand Turk take the stingray excursion there. You can stand just off the beach and pet stingrays. This is much easier than the Cayman excursion.

Archived