4 Night Pacific Coastal Cruise...

mlbuboy

A group of us are thinking of doing a short cruises on either the Statendam from San Diego to Vancouver or on the Island Princess out of LA. Both voyages are only 4 nights. I have only done longer trips such as Caribbean and Transatlantic and have heard very mixed things about short coastal cruises such as they are nothing but fraternity-esque party trips and not LGBT friendly. Any reviews or thoughts on short cruises in general and/or reviews? Some in our group have never cruised before so I would not want to spoil a first impression. Thanks!

A group of us are thinking of doing a short cruises on either the Statendam from San Diego to Vancouver or on the Island Princess out of LA. Both voyages are only 4 nights. I have only done longer trips such as Caribbean and Transatlantic and have heard very mixed things about short coastal cruises such as they are nothing but fraternity-esque party trips and not LGBT friendly. Any reviews or thoughts on short cruises in general and/or reviews? Some in our group have never cruised before so I would not want to spoil a first impression. Thanks!

I've taken a 4-day Coastal on Holland America and the term "fraternity-esque" certainly didn't apply to that sailing. It was more casual than longer sailings, but, still very nice with a somewhat diverse group of passengers. I think that you would be safe introducing newbies to cruising with either a Holland America or Princess Coastal sailing.

Looking forward hearing experiences of others. :)

We almost took a coastal from Vancouver to SD once but found out a Dr Laura group was booked on there and didn't think I could handle that for 3 or 4 days:eek:

I heard about that one a couple of years ago. I wouldn't last even one day on that ship. :(

• 3 weeks later...

My partner and I are booked on the Statendam from SD to Vancouver (we live in Vancouver). We took a Princess 4 day coastal last year (our first Princess cruise) and it was pleasant. Mixed group of people age-wise. Definitely not fraternity-esque.

We have only sailed on a HAL ship once before on the East Coast. Bad ship but pleasant staff.

It's a great cruise to do! I would be doing it, but am already booked on a Bermuda cruise out of NY the first week of May when all the Pac Coastals sail. But, couldn't pass up the Bermuda deal either! Too many deals, not enough time. :)

Anyhow, for the price and Holland America service and food -- do it! It is not "frat like" either at all, especially not on HAL.

Curt

We're doing a four day cruise (Sept 20-24 on Holland America) from Seattle...this is the second one of this length we've taken.

I can't comment on the ones from your port, but this one is actively being pitched to the singers and patrons of the Seattle Men's Chorus....and you can't get much gayer than that :).

Of the five cruises on HAL we've taken, NONE have been in the least bit homophobic.

My charming partner and I frequently take these sailings; I *wish* they'd be a little more frat-like. ;0) That designation really only applies to the Cabo-and-Catalina booze cruises out of LA - the transits/repositionings are waaaay more sedate.

Which is not meant as an indication that fun is not to be had. Remember, you're still in international waters, so the rules don't apply.

Pardon me while I blush deep crimson recalling a certain handsome soon-to-be-MD, somewhere off the coast of Northern California.

E

The coastal repositioning crusies are not too much of a party trip. I went on Zaandam from San Diego to Vancouver 2 years ago and there were lots of gay people and Canadians onboard which made for an excellent passenger mix.

Archived