Snorkling/Sea Turtles Independently

LindaCt

Which beaches are safe to snorkle off of where we can actually see Sea Turtles.? Someone mentioned Paynes Beach...how far is this from ship docks? How far must we snorkle off shore? Is it safe? Any other creatures in the water on our way to see the turtles that we should be afraid of? Can we rent equipment at the beach? When through-is it easy to get a taxi to Accra? Please advise!

Thank you.:)

Please don't be offended but this has been asked loads of times in one shape or form, just have a look for more opinions. Yes Paynes & Accra are fine, taxis as safe as taxis anywhere, I would bring my own gear. No "creatures'' as far as I know, the only sharks are driving cabs!!

I went there last year, we had a group taxi. I was not thrilled with the tour the guy gave so this time I think I will just go on my own.

Paynes Bay was our first stop, it was difficult for the driver to pull over...very narrow street. We actually got off and it looked like we were going in someones yard, but it was fine. We got on the beach and some guy sold my mom this pure aloe he had made himself in a liquor bottle ($10) . She wasnt snorkeling but enjoyed the shade there. BRING your own equipment if you can and just dive right in. The shore excursion boats were there and they feed the turtle and fish and we got a free show of the turtles...it was wonderful, they were so close we could touch them!! I just want to spend the day this time!!

how far out from the beach did you have to go? Safe to swim out that far? Anything other than turtles in the water that you have to worry about? Thank you

You just swim out, not far from shore. My son did not even wear his life jacket. Only critters are the ones you want to watch. We did not get to stay that long because of this stinky tour guide (Cameron Reid's employee). It appears this is a regular excursion stop.

Archived