Exorbitant summer airfare to Rome!

labeachcomber

I've been monitoring airfare periodically since purchasing our tickets and starting this thread. United tickets for our flights have dropped about $100.

Called up United, thinking that because it is the same flights and itinerary, that I could get our $200 credit like I've always done in the past. But apparently things have changed! Now you have to pay a $250 "change fee", even though there is no change in the flights. So unless the fare drops by more than $250, it's not worth it at all. ($150 change fee for domestic travel.) The customer service rep says that it's been this way "for a long time", I checked and United seems to have changed their policy last year. I wonder if the other major carriers have done the same?

I was lucky, VERY LUCKY, to get LAX-Rome for a bit over $1000 (including tax) for our May-June Cruise. Most were well over $1500. During the winter, you can fly LAX-London non-stop for about $400 r/t before taxes.

Taxes and 9-11 Security Fees do have a lot to do with it.

I think those avertised $400 winter fares had taxes of over $350, bringing the total to $750. When taxes/fees are the same as the ticket, we have a problem.

Just wait until we have an Icelandic Volcano Surcharge!! :mad:

Archived