If you were me...what would you do with 2 kids in Nassau?

moopdog

We're going on the Gem 3/20/10.

I am thinking that as long as the weather is nice, we'll enjoy the beach while at GSC, so we can skip the beach in Nassau. I think my family would enjoy Fort Charlotte, as my son(9) and husband (old) are history nerds & the reviews are pretty decent for this tour.

I personally am intrigued by Atlantis, but after much "digging", pun intended - I still don't have a good grasp for what the heck the Dig is. I also don't understand the draw of the place if you're not utilizing the water park. I think the aquarium sounds cool, but what else is there? I agree is "sounds" beautiful, but...I don't know.... isn't it sort of boring just walking around looking at pretty gardens and fountains?!? I'm not putting it down - I seriously want to know if it is boring or not?

I definitely want to do some shopping while there, as well. Nothing indoors, the straw market sounds fine to me, but if there is a better option - do tell.

So, I'm asking someone to plan our perfect day in Nassau, using the above info about us. I know some of you must love this sort of challenge ;) By the way - we'll be there from 8 am to 6 pm

Thanks for the help, I am getting overwhelmed with choices!

Hi,

I can't answer any of your questions, but I went to Atlantis (both waterpark & dolphin experience) about 2 years ago on a Disney cruise. It was costly. The beginning of the excursion starts off with a very long tour of the property. That walking tour was hot, dull & exhausting, it took the sparkle out of me for the rest of the day. Quite honestly, the tour took the tarnish off of all four of us.

The property is beautiful, & after the tour, we were free to explore. Because it the end of February, the pools were cold. There is that one large pyramid waterslide, & a lazy river that I wouldn't go in because I thought it was too cold. At the very end of the day, I learned that it was heated. Ah! It's such a large place, that I never got a real feel for the dig, even after being there!

The dolphin interaction was wonderful (kids did it, not me.)

Food is very expensive there, as well.

I can't rave about it, but I can't knock it, either.

We will be there again this summer, & am debating if it's worth going back and seeing it from different eyes, or moving on.

We (me and my 12yo great grand daugter)are also wondering what is the thrill of Atlantis. Sounds like it is much like Las Vegas type hotels and we were there a year ago and have enough of that to last us a lifetime. Can we walk through Atlantis and then decide if we want to pay for any amenities? Any other things for us to enjoy on a very tight budget would be nice.

We're going on the Gem 3/20/10.

I am thinking that as long as the weather is nice, we'll enjoy the beach while at GSC, so we can skip the beach in Nassau. I think my family would enjoy Fort Charlotte, as my son(9) and husband (old) are history nerds & the reviews are pretty decent for this tour.

I personally am intrigued by Atlantis, but after much "digging", pun intended - I still don't have a good grasp for what the heck the Dig is. I also don't understand the draw of the place if you're not utilizing the water park. I think the aquarium sounds cool, but what else is there? I agree is "sounds" beautiful, but...I don't know.... isn't it sort of boring just walking around looking at pretty gardens and fountains?!? I'm not putting it down - I seriously want to know if it is boring or not?

I definitely want to do some shopping while there, as well. Nothing indoors, the straw market sounds fine to me, but if there is a better option - do tell.

So, I'm asking someone to plan our perfect day in Nassau, using the above info about us. I know some of you must love this sort of challenge ;) By the way - we'll be there from 8 am to 6 pm

Thanks for the help, I am getting overwhelmed with choices!

There are 3 forts, the queens staircase and water tower, pirates museum, a slave museum, lots of history.

Here's a link to a walking tour of Nassau.. I think your "history nerds" will love it.

http://www.frommers.com/destinations/newprovidence/0251010008.html

Archived