White Pass Scenic Rail Up & Bike Down

n2deep2bn

Saw the title, and hoped like mad that Yukon would answer :) YAY :)

We live in a tourist area that has similar problems with bikers and traffic and scenery and RVers and drivers not paying attention to the roads. Sadly, around here (even with good wide shoulders) at least one bike rider is killed every year :(

I just would not do it, period. I'm an avid biker and it is way dangerious on that road as there is no shoulder. But we did do a bike and brew excursion in Juneau that was fun. You end up after riding going to the Alaskan Beer brewery.I highly recomend that instead. It is 9 miles, mostly flat and very plesant.

Thanks for the link. You guys got me scared. I think we are just going to do the yukon expedition and the white pass rail back down.

We are doing the bike and tram in Juneau and maybe the clover pass bike ride in Ketchikan.

• 2 months later...

I've taken this tour before and I have to say that it is a great ride. The guides do a good job at keeping you safe, and the road is not very heavily traveled. If you have concerns about the tour I would just contact the company.

I've taken this tour before and I have to say that it is a great ride. The guides do a good job at keeping you safe, and the road is not very heavily traveled. If you have concerns about the tour I would just contact the company.

The guides have no control over the things that are some day going to kill some poor cyclist on that road. Neither the company nor the State care a lot about your safety or bike tours wouldn't be allowed there. If the photo I posted doesn't worry you, have at 'er.

Although this wasn't the question, I'm still going to say that I wouldn't bike down that road if THEY paid ME. There's no bike lane, just a shoulder a few inches wide, it's very steep and it gets a lot of commercial traffic. Nobody's been killed yet, BUT.... http://www.explorenorth.com/library/roads/images/s_klondike-bikes-1344.html

i totally agree. listen to yukon. i cant beleive they still have this tour. it is very dangerous for the bikers and vehichles who have to watch out for them. there is no way i would ever do this bike route. rent a bike in skagway and ride around the town and surrounding areas. omit the white pass road and be safe.

How can the guides protect riders from vehicles? Seriously, this post sounds at least very optimistic and at worst very misleading.

of course the tour company is going to tell you it is a great tour, they are making money off of you. like yukon said, no one has been killed YET. why not , i dont know.

misleading information. the guides can not controll a bike that goes out of control on the '' inches '' for the bikers to ride on with gravel and bumps in some spots. and what day were you there that there was not much traffic ???? it must have been a day with no ships or just one in the port. i have been in a tourist bus that was just one of many, plus cars and motorcycles back to back trying their best to avoid the bikers.

and for the replier that wants too '' bomb '' down the road, i hope i am not on the road that day :eek:

Edited by dustyroad

...and for the replier that wants too '' bomb '' down the road, i hope i am not on the road that day :eek:

He says that he's a road biker, though. For experienced solo riders this may well be fun - they can go as fast as the vehicles so nobody is passing them. It's the overweight cruisers who haven't been on a bike since they were 10 that are the worry. On those tours, nobody is "bombing" but lots are wobbling.

It is a very steep, sharp curves- and narrow. When you drive in a nice great big 4 wheel drive truck- you have to pay attention. I know, just drove it 3 weeks ago- on dry pavement, with no R.V.'s on the road.

On a bike, with no protection, except maybe some little helmet- that is crazy. Find a different adventure.

He says that he's a road biker, though. For experienced solo riders this may well be fun - they can go as fast as the vehicles so nobody is passing them. It's the overweight cruisers who haven't been on a bike since they were 10 that are the worry. On those tours, nobody is "bombing" but lots are wobbling.[/quote]

:D:D too funny, but true.

I just would not do it, period. I'm an avid biker and it is way dangerious on that road as there is no shoulder. But we did do a bike and brew excursion in Juneau that was fun. You end up after riding going to the Alaskan Beer brewery.I highly recomend that instead. It is 9 miles, mostly flat and very plesant.

timetravler, is the alaskan brewery in Merchant's Wharf? I'm scheduled on the bike and brew tour in juneau (booked thru NCL), but it doesnt list the brewery's name as the destination. i'm really hoping this is where the bike tour ends tho!

• 3 years later...

In the summer of 2012 I brought my own bike on a cruise and rode both up and down the White Pass road between Skagway and the summit. Near the top I encountered a couple of the train/bike groups descending. They were riding safely at a reasonable (that is, relatively slow) pace, and the guides appeared to be competent and experienced. While I wouldn't recommend this excursion for someone not comfortable on a bike, I disagree that the road is dangerous. Sure it's downhill, but that's what brakes are for. The road surface was good and the motorists were considerate when I was there. This excursion is a chance to make a brief escape from the isolation from our environment that so often comes with cruising.

I will tell you that at the beginning of July we were on another tour and saw the bikes being unloaded at the summit for this tour. It was so foggy that you could not see the car in front of you. Our tour driver said that she would never bike down the Klondike Hwy and that even as a driver of a small tour bus that she would never pass the bike riders. It is just too dangerous. The pictures they show on the website is not what it looked like when we were there with all of the fog and misty rain.

• 2 years later...
Although this wasn't the question, I'm still going to say that I wouldn't bike down that road if THEY paid ME. There's no bike lane, just a shoulder a few inches wide, it's very steep and it gets a lot of commercial traffic. Nobody's been killed yet, BUT.... http://www.explorenorth.com/library/roads/images/s_klondike-bikes-1344.html

Having spent about 3.5 months of my life on 4 bike camping tours, having that extra edge looks like luxury indeed. Compare the bike deaths (AFAIK, none) to flightseeing (several), and get a grip. Why the fear here? Or of Orcas or other whales going after kayaks? Anything could happen.

Good luck to us all!

In some areas, people dive and snorkel to see marine life, inc. many sharks. The only shark deaths to humans are when humans stab/arrow fish to death.

Just saying, be wise, have fun, and don't be paranoid. Unless you have cable and can wait it all out. Ahem.