Where to snorkle in Aruba and Grand Cayman

You're best snorkeling is in Grand Cayman by far.

We've done 2 great snorkeling things there. First off most of the sting ray city tours stop at one or two nice reefs before or after sting ray city and the snorkeling is real nice there. Stick with a private tour recommended on the Cayman Board.

We also love, and more frequently go to, Eden Rock at Grand Cayman which is walking distance from the cruise port at Grand Cayman. Fantastic snorkeling there. There are two dive shops that rent equipment too and provide a point of entry along the rocky shore. First is Paradise bar and grill, but I'd recommend passing that and walking another 2 or 3 minutes to Eden Rock Dive Center. No charge if you don't' want to rent there and you can rent a locker if you want to (we don't bother). Be sure to ask one of the people there where to point out the buoys that mark the reef areas - it is 100 yards out but not at all a difficult swim. Many people don't go that far and while they see some nice fish it is nothing as great as getting over the reef.

In Aruba you're better off going on one of the fun snorkeling day-sails like the Midsushi or Jolly Pirate (can book these independently or through the cruise ship). They visit a couple of snorkeling sites, including a sunken ship, that provide excellent snorkeling, depending on conditions, and if the conditions aren't great you'll still have a fun time on the boat and a fun time with lunch with a few drinks after snorkeling. Afterwards you can head back to the ship with the group or hang out on the beach and relax and take a cab or the bus back later.

Is there colorful, live coral with colorful fish? I have been diappointed many times and want to get it right this time or do another excursion.

Our cruise also goes to Puerto Limon, Colon and Cartegna.

Same votes, same reasons. GC is the best snorkeling of your cruise.

Been to both.... Got to go with De Palm Island in Aruba. At De Plam you can literal get in the water and feel like your in a tropical fish tank. If you are looking to Scuba dive G.C. much better for reef diving But wreck diving in Aruba is pretty awesome.

Towards the end of 7 mile beach not far from the Turtle Farm, across from what used to be called the Indies Suites (It's now student housing for a med school) there is a nice quiet beach where I did my first snorkeling. I was in the water no more than 5 minutes when I was being circled by two spotted eagle rays. There was a lot of urchins around, but as long as you don't stand on them you are ok. 50 yards from the shore there is a wall that you can snorkel over.

Archived