Solution to QM2 smoking arguments

royntrace

Well, so much for my grand exit. You people are so nice, thank you and obviously that's why we choose the QM2. Cheers :)

I agree about the people. I can only hope people like this are on board when I am.

No need for the exit, you have provided some nice comments on this matter. All opinions are needed to make a proper decision for Cunard. Now if they will listen is another matter.

Cheers

Jake

radical bilateral orchidectomy?

J

You'll never believe this, but before they loaded me into the basket thingy, they told me this was the name of the palmtree-fringed tropical island where I would be going on holiday:eek:.

They tell terrible lies:mad:.

Sir Martin

You'll never believe this, but before they loaded me into the basket thingy, they told me this was the name of the palmtree-fringed tropical island where I would be going on holiday:eek:.

They tell terrible lies:mad:.

Sir Martin

Au contraire, Sir M. It seems to me they tell rather effective lies. Hee hee hee.

J

I have been hesitant to add my views to this thread but here goes. Having just completed 23 days on QM2 our only gripe for the entire cruise was having to endure cigar smoke coming onto our balcony from the guy smoking on the next balcony. It was so bad at times, we had to retreat inside. The theory that the breeze carries the smoke away is not always so. Having only cruised once before on the non smoking Oceania Line I do not see why Cunard can still allow smoking in the cabin area (balcony and bathrooms). Would it stop us cruising with Cunard again? NO! The cruise exceeded every expectation we had.

Having only cruised once before on the non smoking Oceania Line I do not see why Cunard can still allow smoking in the cabin area (balcony and bathrooms). Would it stop us cruising with Cunard again? NO! The cruise exceeded every expectation we had.

Perhaps you've answered your own question, in that balcony smoking won't stop you booking again, whereas banning it would stop me, and probably many others.

I'm delighted you enjoyed your first Cunard cruise, and hope you have many more.

Mary:)

Jake, be very careful what you wish for:eek:.

Sir Martin

Ah, too right Sir M. Seem to remember a popular saying on an old American tv series "I'm sorry, but this was exactly what you wanted". Good old Mr Roarke.

Though the prospect of knocking a few back with you and heckling the kennels do sound rather fun.

Jake

I have been hesitant to add my views to this thread but here goes. Having just completed 23 days on QM2 our only gripe for the entire cruise was having to endure cigar smoke coming onto our balcony from the guy smoking on the next balcony. It was so bad at times, we had to retreat inside. The theory that the breeze carries the smoke away is not always so. Having only cruised once before on the non smoking Oceania Line I do not see why Cunard can still allow smoking in the cabin area (balcony and bathrooms). Would it stop us cruising with Cunard again? NO! The cruise exceeded every expectation we had.

Very good to hear that even with inconsiderate neighbors you had a ball. Sorry you had to endure that. As a smoker, I try to be as considerate as possible, sadly not everyone does.

That being said, as I have yet to sail QM2, can someone describe the partitions? Inasmuch, do they vortex the wind in a way to pull it n at speed? I would think an AA on 12 or whatever would retain smoke. I could see it in an in hull...

So, am I on to something? Or over-engineering?

Though the prospect of knocking a few back with you and heckling the kennels do sound rather fun.

Jake

I hope you know who'll be picking up the HUGE tab.

Stirring up trouble with dogs is Sir M's particular speciality - I won't bore you with the full details, but once, in the vet's waiting room, he caused a huge and very embarrassing altercation between a Great Dane and a terrier.

Mary

If I may be permitted to veer back on topic....

As a non-smoker and occasional cigar lover I strongly support a dedicated smoking lounge that can seat more than 14 passengers. In fact, I would suggest something at least the size of the commodore club and I'd throw in a smallish bank of slot machines as well as live entertainment.

Working in the smoking area should be a volunteer or bid process, though you'll probably find it very popular with the staff - I'm curious if smokers tend to tip a little more regularly?

I'd recommend the space be enclosed, with double door access to reduce the escape of smoke, and a nice ventilation system to keep the air fairly fresh.

What I'm not keen on is split space. I really don't care for the smell of cigarette smoke and would much rather have nice isolated spaces, with, if possible, non-smoking common areas (hallways, elevators, etc). The QE2, bless her, was a wonderful ship, but she reeked of 39 years of unfiltered Pall Malls. I'd love if if we could keep that to a few public spaces on the QM2.

From what I've seen on other lines, smoking in the cabins is not too big of a problem since crew can often clean the smell out within a few hours if required.

Finally, Jimmy, that was a damn fine list. :D

Spot on there to Buddys missive. Some or most agree with your plan, we had actually gotten to trying to decide a suitable location. Commodore was passed around early on, but consensus seems to have decided on the Winter Garden.

I am quite keen on the slot area in such a lounge. Excellent idea.

Thanks all for the great exchange and no lock! Rob will be proud of us.

Jake

If I may be permitted to veer back on topic....

As a non-smoker and occasional cigar lover I strongly support a dedicated smoking lounge that can seat more than 14 passengers.

I think it's a mistake to list Churchhills as one of the few left areas for cigarette smokers. It should remain a cigar lounge. It's a great place to stop by for a cigarette here and there but if it becomes a refuge for cigarette smokers the ambiance goes away. It really wouldn't require a big stretch for Cunard to provide one lounge on the huge QM2 that could allow smoking without bothering the other passengers.

Archived