My snorkel photos- Aruba, Bonaire, Bahamas, St. John, Cayman

markstudy

I got some great photos on my 10 day southern Caribbean trip in January.

Gives you a little bit of an idea of the different corals at different islands. I love looking at photos, so I can see how the reefs are different from island to island.

I was on the Ruby Princess... and they sold a photo scrap-book on board, so if you click on the link below, you will see about 80 pages of snorkeling, and maybe 50 pages of Rainforest (we didn't dive in Dominica or Greneda). Plus my wife snuck-in 10 pages of romantic and centimental photos...or our scrap book would have been 100% pure science if I had my way :D

And just a tip.... click on the arrow below the cover photo.... this allows you to see two pages at a time and you get the panoramic view. If you just click directly on any picture it blows up the page but you can only see one page at a time. Enjoy

http://www.panraven.com/visitor/VisitorViewStory.epage?sp=Sview&sp=154975

I got some great photos on my 10 day southern Caribbean trip in January.

Gives you a little bit of an idea of the different corals at different islands. I love looking at photos, so I can see how the reefs are different from island to island.

I was on the Ruby Princess... and they sold a photo scrap-book on board, so if you click on the link below, you will see about 80 pages of snorkeling, and maybe 50 pages of Rainforest (we didn't dive in Dominica or Greneda). Plus my wife snuck-in 10 pages of romantic and centimental photos...or our scrap book would have been 100% pure science if I had my way :D

And just a tip.... click on the arrow below the cover photo.... this allows you to see two pages at a time and you get the panoramic view. If you just click directly on any picture it blows up the page but you can only see one page at a time. Enjoy

http://www.panraven.com/visitor/VisitorViewStory.epage?sp=Sview&sp=154975

Nice photos shared with us.

May I ask you the model of the camera you use?

Thanks

I'm glad you liked the photos.

Canon just came out with the PowerShot D10... it was idiot proof :D I really liked it. I'm not a photographer, just a guy who points and shoots.

But you can't use it for SCUBA, its only good to 30 feet according to the Marketing guys, so I stayed with-in 25 feet to be safe :rolleyes:

Also... its hard to swim with the camera strapped to your wrist so I bought the neck strap (but you had to buy an accessory pack, they didn't just sell the neck strap seperate). Pack came with a case, a few straps and some odds and ends.

Digitalwaterproof.jpg

I'm glad you liked the photos.

Canon just came out with the PowerShot D10... it was idiot proof :D I really liked it. I'm not a photographer, just a guy who points and shoots.

But you can't use it for SCUBA, its only good to 30 feet according to the Marketing guys, so I stayed with-in 25 feet to be safe :rolleyes:

Also... its hard to swim with the camera strapped to your wrist so I bought the neck strap (but you had to buy an accessory pack, they didn't just sell the neck strap seperate). Pack came with a case, a few straps and some odds and ends.

Digitalwaterproof.jpg

Thank for your reply.

I'm also thinking of Cannon D10 and Olympus Stylus Tough 8000. But to me, I have already have a Sony T70(?). I'm wondering if only thinking of a regular camera, are D10 and Tough8000 better than mine? Or it's worth for me to buy only the waterproof feature at 300.00 something?

What do you think of my situation?

Or it's worth for me to buy only the waterproof feature

at 300.00 something? What do you think of my situation?

I think the answer is easy .... how do you look at your photos when you get home?

Most people look at them a few times and toss them in a drawer.

I look at my pictures like a scientist. I want to look at the type of plants, sand, rocks,

those three fish in the upper left side of the picture that I just noticed

(it comes from having an aquarium for many years)... I want to be able to look

deeper into my photos and discover things I didn't see the first time I snapped the

shot. Even with the D-10 I'd like better quality.... but I like the idea of a one-touch

button, so I'm not getting into more expensive cameras, because I'd actually have

to learn to use them.

The photo below...has been shrunk to fit on CuriseCritic, the

original is twice as big which is nice if you want to zoom-in on smaller details...

which also helps when you can't get close to a fish, but you can crop and zoom the

photo to still get a good shot after the fact.

1RubyPrincess502b.jpg

Very nice pictures! I might have to look into getting that camera. We are going on the Celebrity Century later this year to Roatan and Cozumel. My DH is an aquarium junky, and we got certified and dove on our honeymoon in Cozumel 15 yrs ago. We dove a few years later in St Thomas. That has been it. We need to take the refresher course before we go.

I think the answer is easy .... how do you look at your photos when you get home?

Most people look at them a few times and toss them in a drawer.

I look at my pictures like a scientist. I want to look at the type of plants, sand, rocks,

those three fish in the upper left side of the picture that I just noticed

(it comes from having an aquarium for many years)... I want to be able to look

deeper into my photos and discover things I didn't see the first time I snapped the

shot. Even with the D-10 I'd like better quality.... but I like the idea of a one-touch

button, so I'm not getting into more expensive cameras, because I'd actually have

to learn to use them.

The photo below...has been shrunk to fit on CuriseCritic, the

original is twice as big which is nice if you want to zoom-in on smaller details...

which also helps when you can't get close to a fish, but you can crop and zoom the

photo to still get a good shot after the fact.

1RubyPrincess502b.jpg

To me, I should say that I'm not a photographor, but i really like shooting. I have tons of photos and I never threw them away, I keep them in a very careful way, it's like my journal for the whole life. I don't have a very expensive camera though. I agree with you that I don't only look and enjoy all my photos, but also try to read the story behind the photos, kid's growing, family affairs, friends relationship...

I have a question: most underwater photos I saw are not as clear and bright as what people shoot on land, no matter it's day or night, indoor or outdoor, sunny or rainy... is it the problem related to the camera or people's technick?

I have a question: most underwater photos I saw are not as clear and bright as what people shoot on land, no matter it's day or night, indoor or outdoor, sunny or rainy... is it the problem related to the camera or people's technick?

I'd say its water visibility. I thought Princess Cay would be just a warm-up to get use to our equipment, before some really great diving in St John and Bonaire. But even though Princess Cay had the smallest reef, the water was so crystal clear that I got the best photos. Surprise!

It wasn't even a sunny day. If I had bright sun, with that perfect water condition, and shallow reef.... my photos would have busted right off the page!

Water conditions are always changing. Might be good in the morning and murky in the afternoon because the winds picked up. Or it might be murky all week because of storms the week before. So you never know what you will get :confused: Also has a lot to do with the size of sand grains (in Clearwater FL we have fine sand and the water is always murky because the sand stays suspend after it gets stirred up). In Costa Rica I had problems with run-off from the land after days of heavy rain storms.

I think the newest computer technology that is built into the Canon did a great job trying to handle light and water conditions to produce a good photo, for us non photographers. It has a setting for underwater photos, vs Aquarium, or Beach settings. (also snow, indoor, fireworks, portrait, and many more different automatic settings)

Very nice pictures! I might have to look into getting that camera. We are going on the Celebrity Century later this year to Roatan and Cozumel. My DH is an aquarium junky, and we got certified and dove on our honeymoon in Cozumel 15 yrs ago. We dove a few years later in St Thomas. That has been it. We need to take the refresher course before we go.

I would love to see some Roatan photos.... I want to go there next trip.

The camera I bought, will not work for scuba diving. It only goes down to 25 feet and then the pressure would force water into the rubber seals.

My wife is not certified so we are snorkel only :D couple.

I would love to see some Roatan photos.... I want to go there next trip.

The camera I bought, will not work for scuba diving. It only goes down to 25 feet and then the pressure would force water into the rubber seals.

My wife is not certified so we are snorkel only :D couple.

Is 25 feet 10 meters? Is this one the best one in the market now? I mean for the non-professional use. May I ask how much it is if you don't mind?

Is 25 feet 10 meters? Is this one the best one in the market now? I mean for the non-professional use. May I ask how much it is if you don't mind?
10 meters = 33 feet. The Canon D10 can be found on Ebay for around $300.

$289.95 at amazon.com. I recently purchased one. :D

Question about the camera settings.

I see under Program mode there is an Underwater White Balance setting and under Scene Mode there is the Underwater Scene Mode. There doesn't seem to be a way to select both and I'm not sure I would want to.

Sounds like you took your picture with the underwater scene mode. did you try the Underwater White Balance at all?

I'm curious why they offer two different ways and which is better?

I see under Program mode there is an Underwater White Balance setting and under Scene Mode there is the Underwater Scene Mode. There doesn't seem to be a way to select both and I'm not sure I would want to.

Sounds like you took your picture with the underwater scene mode. did you try the Underwater White Balance at all?

I'm curious why they offer two different ways and which is better?

good question. Anyone knows and tell us something about it. I'm learning.

I never tried the white balance mode.... I never even tried anything in the program mode.

The only thing I programed on the camera.... was one of the three buttons on the top can be programed to any function you want. So I programed it to turn on-and-off the view screen, to save battery life.

(my best guess) You can select Program mode or Scene mode. Once you pick scene mode you just pick your automatic setting- Underwater Mode, Aquarium Mode, Beach Mode, or you can pick Automatic and let the camera do its best guess.

I got good photos without doing much more then picking my Scene Mode and then it was pretty much one button point-and-shoot.

I liked the foliage mode in the rainforest (did a good job with all the shades of green)... to bad they didn't have a cave mode...they did have a snow mode. LOL

I have had two of the old model olympus waterproof cameras, the one I still have is the 1050. We bought the Canon D10 before our last cruise so actually used both at each of our snorkeling stop and I am amazed at how much better the Canon D10 is. I love the Canon D10.

For both cameras we had them in underwater mode, but the olympus pictures are still very green and need to be touched up, while I didn't need to touch up really any of the ones from my Canon D10.

The pictures were taken at the same time, my husband had the olympus and I had the canon so it was a great way to compare.

With the Canon, I just put the camera on the underwater mode in the menu, I never messed with the white balance.

I have had two of the old model olympus waterproof cameras, the one I still have is the 1050. We bought the Canon D10 before our last cruise so actually used both at each of our snorkeling stop and I am amazed at how much better the Canon D10 is. I love the Canon D10.

For both cameras we had them in underwater mode, but the olympus pictures are still very green and need to be touched up, while I didn't need to touch up really any of the ones from my Canon D10.

The pictures were taken at the same time, my husband had the olympus and I had the canon so it was a great way to compare.

With the Canon, I just put the camera on the underwater mode in the menu, I never messed with the white balance.

Thank you for your sharing. I'm debating between Olympus Stylus Touch 6000 and Cannon D10, I know Olympus 6000 is only 3 meters deep in the water while Cannon D10 is 10 meters, but the first one is only 199.00 while the second one is 379.00. Which one is much worthy? Can you give me more recommendations on the features and photo quality of these two?

Thanks!

Thank you for your sharing. I'm debating between Olympus Stylus Touch 6000 and Cannon D10, I know Olympus 6000 is only 3 meters deep in the water while Cannon D10 is 10 meters, but the first one is only 199.00 while the second one is 379.00. Which one is much worthy? Can you give me more recommendations on the features and photo quality of these two?

Thanks!

Here's the rub :D

If it says 10 meters .... you're probably safe to 8 meters

If it says 3 meters....you're probably safe to 2 meters

These things are not perfect (rubber seals) and I think the marketing department is more ambitious than the engineering department. Unless you are going to stay on the surface the entire time... get the D10.

I found that I needed to dive down to get close, and get some good fish and coarl photos from close-up. In the clear water of the Caribbean, you are down 4 meters before you even know it! I used the pressure in my ears to tell how deep I was going. Very easy to go deeper when the water is so clear and you don't notice how far you've gone.

Here's the rub :D

If it says 10 meters .... you're probably safe to 8 meters

If it says 3 meters....you're probably safe to 2 meters

These things are not perfect (rubber seals) and I think the marketing department is more ambitious than the engineering department. Unless you are going to stay on the surface the entire time... get the D10.

I found that I needed to dive down to get close, and get some good fish and coarl photos from close-up. In the clear water of the Caribbean, you are down 4 meters before you even know it! I used the pressure in my ears to tell how deep I was going. Very easy to go deeper when the water is so clear and you don't notice how far you've gone.

OK. Got you. I know now what is I really need. Thanks and have a good weekend!

Archived