Carnival Conquest-Embarkation

bpgolferguy

Hi! Cruising out of Galveston on April 11th! First time...yay! Couple questions....the website says embarkation is 12:30-2:30....will they start sooner? I've read a couple posts that say they got there at 10am and were on the ship eating the buffet at 11:30!!! I would like to get on as soon as possible to a) explore, and b) request a table for two in the dining room. It is our honeymoon, so we would really like a table for two during dinners throughout the week, and when I called Carnvial they said see the maitre d to make the request because it isn't something you can request at the time of booking. After researching that a little bit, several people have said as soon as they get on the ship they go to the dining room and request it...and it usually works as long as you're one of the first to get there. Soooo....that's why I want to get on the ship first. We have filled out all of our funpass info, and we know what we need to bring to the "gate", and we're going to park at EZ-Parking, so basically it's in our hands as to when we want to arrive at the gate. I'm thinking 10am sounds good if it means we can be at the front of the line and have a chance to get to the maitre d first. Does anyone have any thoughts or experiences about this? Do they start getting people on the ship before 12:30? Does seeing the maitre d work when it comes to getting a table for two? Any advice to make check in fast and make sure we're one of the first on the ship? Thanks...we're excited!!!

Hi! Cruising out of Galveston on April 11th! First time...yay! Couple questions....the website says embarkation is 12:30-2:30....will they start sooner? I've read a couple posts that say they got there at 10am and were on the ship eating the buffet at 11:30!!! I would like to get on as soon as possible to a) explore, and b) request a table for two in the dining room. It is our honeymoon, so we would really like a table for two during dinners throughout the week, and when I called Carnvial they said see the maitre d to make the request because it isn't something you can request at the time of booking. After researching that a little bit, several people have said as soon as they get on the ship they go to the dining room and request it...and it usually works as long as you're one of the first to get there. Soooo....that's why I want to get on the ship first. We have filled out all of our funpass info, and we know what we need to bring to the "gate", and we're going to park at EZ-Parking, so basically it's in our hands as to when we want to arrive at the gate. I'm thinking 10am sounds good if it means we can be at the front of the line and have a chance to get to the maitre d first. Does anyone have any thoughts or experiences about this? Do they start getting people on the ship before 12:30? Does seeing the maitre d work when it comes to getting a table for two? Any advice to make check in fast and make sure we're one of the first on the ship? Thanks...we're excited!!!

Congrats on your first cruise and cruising on my favorite ship in the fleet!

I always get to the port in Galveston about 10:30 AM... into the cruise terminal and check in completed by 11... Last cruise on the Ecstasy from Galveston we were on board by 11:30!

You'll be issued a Zone Number card. Early folks get Zone 1... earliest on board. Now, having said that, VIPs and wedding parties will board before general boarding.

:)

Thanks for the info! We were thinking walk into the check in at around a quarter till 10....just to be sure :) That should guarantee a "zone 1" card shouldn't it?

Anyone have any luck with requesting a table for two on the Conquest?

Thanks for the info! We were thinking walk into the check in at around a quarter till 10....just to be sure :) That should guarantee a "zone 1" card shouldn't it?

You can get in line at 10 but they may not let you in the terminal for a bit.

When you check in you'll be issued your Sail & Sign card. Your cabin number, dining room assignment and table will be listed on the left side:

sailandsignMach.jpg

Once you're on board make your way to the assigned dining room and find your table. If it's not to your liking you can visit with the Maitre d' and request a table for two. Check in the Fun Times for the time and location. Typically, it'll be at the Renoir Dining room, midships, at about 1 PM.

A number of my friends have done this successfully. Good luck. Congratulations on the nuptials and hope you have a great honeymoon. If you guys are in the mood for a little socializing while on board check out our Roll Call. There's about 40 of us here on CC going on the April 11th cruise as well. We'd love to invite you guys to our M&G and Cabin Crawl on Monday at sea. But we totally understand it if you guys prefer your privacy during your honeymoon. Just wanted to extend the greeting and let you know that you're more than welcome to join in the fesitivities; or just drop by the Roll Call and say hello. Congratulations again!

Chris

Thank you for the info! One other thing since I'm talking to the experts...my fiance has been on a couple cruises but one was interior room and the other was about half way up and an ocean view. This time we are on the 8th level in a balcony room. I've heard the higher up and more to the outside of the ship you go, the more movement there will be. She does get motion sickness sometimes on planes and sometimes on the first day of her other cruises.....can we expect some movement with our room this time? It about in the middle in terms of front/back of the ship...maybe a little more towards the front. And like I said it's on the 8th "floor" I guess you could say, and then it's balcony so it's on the outside. I've heard from a couple people about something from Walgreen's that basically takes away any sickness we might experience...I think it starts with a B maybe??? Any advice/suggestions?

Thank you for the info! One other thing since I'm talking to the experts...my fiance has been on a couple cruises but one was interior room and the other was about half way up and an ocean view. This time we are on the 8th level in a balcony room. I've heard the higher up and more to the outside of the ship you go, the more movement there will be. She does get motion sickness sometimes on planes and sometimes on the first day of her other cruises.....can we expect some movement with our room this time? It about in the middle in terms of front/back of the ship...maybe a little more towards the front. And like I said it's on the 8th "floor" I guess you could say, and then it's balcony so it's on the outside. I've heard from a couple people about something from Walgreen's that basically takes away any sickness we might experience...I think it starts with a B maybe??? Any advice/suggestions?

You're on the Verandah Deck.

Regarding motion... it's lower and toward midships for the least motion but, to tell you the truth, I've never noticed that higher is much different. Outside makes about no difference at all.

One thing to consider... the Verandah Deck is located below the Lido and folks tend to complain about the noise of chairs being moved about from above... scrape... scrape... scrape.

Check the location of your cabin vs. the deck plan of the Lido Deck to see if this might be an issue.

The quietest balcony cabins are pretty much one deck down from you on the Empress... cabins above and below...

The B thing is bonine. It's available on the ship, for free, from the Purser's Desk (Guest Services...) or the dispensary. She can also try ginger capsules that are available at WalMart and many other stores.

No problem whatsoever, we request a table for two each time. Just be sure and do it right after you eat lunch....go find the Maitre'd in the MDR's and he will accomodate you.

Have a great cruise, we love the Conquest!

Awesome, thank you!!!

One other thing.....I think when I booked the cruise, I didn't pick the option that allowed you to choose the room you wanted. However, when I was signing up it gave me the map and the available rooms to choose from. Was this a mistake, or standard? Did I just "request" the one I wanted, and then we'll see what I actually get? I figured since I chose the option that didn't let me reserve a specific room it wouldn't even ask me any of that stuff. My booking info shows all my info, my booking number, and my room number. Could that change, though? Has anyone ever been in a room that was completely different then what they requested? Thanks for the help!

Awesome, thank you!!!

One other thing.....I think when I booked the cruise, I didn't pick the option that allowed you to choose the room you wanted. However, when I was signing up it gave me the map and the available rooms to choose from. Was this a mistake, or standard? Did I just "request" the one I wanted, and then we'll see what I actually get? I figured since I chose the option that didn't let me reserve a specific room it wouldn't even ask me any of that stuff. My booking info shows all my info, my booking number, and my room number. Could that change, though? Has anyone ever been in a room that was completely different then what they requested? Thanks for the help!

Congrats on the marrige and a honeymoon on a Cruise ship is perfect!:) It's what we did almost 18 years ago and this year we're doing an Anniversary Cruise. You should be able to go to Carnival.com and see if you have been assigned a cabin. You need to go there and fill out all your information and get your fun pass printed anyway. It's really easy to do! Keep posting questions and the great folks on here are happy to answer! :D

Thank you! I did log on and look at all that and next to stateroom is says my Category (8D) and then my stateroom number. I wasn't sure if that means it's confirmed....or just my request.....

I'd say confirmed but you always read about people being moved. It rarely happens and is usually when your in a handicaped room that someone needs or in a room that holds more than two that again is needed. You should get notification in either case. You may also get a call from the "upsell fairy" this will be a call to try and sell you a better cabin (usually bigger) at a discounted price for that catagory. Or if your really-really lucky the "upgrade fairy" will show up and give you the bigger or better cabin for free. Best idea is to check your cabin info once a week or so.

Oh really! How do I let them know that? When we get there....online somehow?

Ps. I just looked at our boarding "documents" online...including the luggage tag you're supposed to print out to put on your bags....and it says Deck 8 and it has the room number shown online on it. So my guess is if they're having me print off luggage tags now with that room number on it that it is probably going to be our room....boy I sure hope so! If so, I'm glad I didn't pay the extra $40 per person to pick it like I did anyway!

When you booked you should have got a confirmation email check and see if there's a person listed on it as your Personal Vacation Planner. If so call them, if not call the 800 number give the person who takes your call your booking number and let them know. When you board tell everyone, decorate your door, wear tshirts or buttons that say Bride/Groom or Just Married. Have fun with it as it only happens once! :) OH and there's a newlywed game one day try to get in it as the "newly wed" couple as they pick 3 couples one who has been married a long time, one in the middle and one newly wed couple. Meet the Cruise director he's great!

Really? Will they do special stuff if they know it's your honeymoon?

You just never know I've heard of folks getting items like a bottle of Champagne and folks not getting anything. Just depends on the Ship, the staff and if your ifo has been passed on. I figure it never hurts to let 'em know.

Thank you for the info! One other thing since I'm talking to the experts...my fiance has been on a couple cruises but one was interior room and the other was about half way up and an ocean view. This time we are on the 8th level in a balcony room. I've heard the higher up and more to the outside of the ship you go, the more movement there will be. Like Mach said, check the deck plan to see what is above you and if it is the lido I suggest you move as you will hear the scrapping of the chairs. We have been on deck 9 and most recently on deck 10 balconies and had no problems with motion (I get very seasick).

She does get motion sickness sometimes on planes and sometimes on the first day of her other cruises.....can we expect some movement with our room this time? My suggestion is to start taking ginger capsules, I take three twice a day starting a week before the cruise, all during the cruise and then one week after. I also take Bonine with just in case and take one at night. For some reason this last cruise, we just got off on Sunday, I have been really dizzy since but it is getting better.

It about in the middle in terms of front/back of the ship...maybe a little more towards the front. And like I said it's on the 8th "floor" I guess you could say, and then it's balcony so it's on the outside. I've heard from a couple people about something from Walgreen's that basically takes away any sickness we might experience...I think it starts with a B maybe??? Any advice/suggestions?

Congrats

You will love the conquest. We'll be on her two weeks after you. If your DW has issues with motion sickness, have her start the bonine or drammine or whatever she wants to take on Friday before you sail. This works for us because it gets into our system ahead of time.

Don't forget to check the Fun Times for the newlywed/not so newlywed game. It is hilarious and since it willbe your honeymoon, you may even be asked to participate.

Archived