Coffee in Costa Rica

mtretired

We did a Panama Canal cruise a few years ago and went to Puerto Limon Costa Rica. There was a "market" set up right at the dock where we were able to buy coffee. (In fact it was close enough to the ship that we were able to go back to the ship to get more cash) I only wish we had purchased more coffee as it was very inexpensive.

We are on Constellation with stop in Costa Rica. Any suggestion where to buy great coffee beans to bring home? Can we bring them back into US?

you can bring it back.Brit and Rey are two of the favorites to the the locals according to our guide

We went to a local grocery store in town and purchased nearly ten pounds of coffee. If I remember correctly the brand we bought was Ono. There was Blanco (light), and Oscuro (dark). We were told by locals that export of coffee is controled and only the best coffee remains in the country for resale!

We are on Constellation with stop in Costa Rica. Any suggestion where to buy great coffee beans to bring home? Can we bring them back into US?

Mtretired,

My wife is from Costa Rica and we go there twice a year. In Limon which isn't the prettest city in the country they should have a central market that usually sells coffee pretty cheap. to make if easier for your and not cut into your time I would just go to the local grocery store and buy what you need. Below are a few grocery stores in Limon (MASXMENOS, Pali). Also buy the whole bean because it's fresher longer then grind it at your local grocery store at home.

Cafe Britt is the most comercial and expensive brand but may people love it as well. They have a web site that you can view and see all there products which is quite a few, www.cafebritt.com . Costa Rica also has other brands that are cheaper and just as good (Cafe Rey, Volio, 1840 etc.) If you have any questions about the country and area just let me know.

Kitcito ksfalconberry@yahoo.com

Another vote for Cafe Britt!

Bought our first batch in Costa Rica and now have it shipped directly to us.

Since I don't buy cups of coffee outside the house, the one cup of Cafe Britt I do drink every morning is a great start to my day.

Judy

Went on the Walk in the Cloud Forest tour in January and stopped at a gift shop on the way back to the ship.

The guide recommended Tres Generaciones Peaberry AA coffee (whole bean), I bought a bag and it was the best of the 4 coffees we bought on the trip. It has a nice nutty/grain overtone and a light roast so it doesn't suffer from the dreaded Starbucks bitter syndrome. The coffee comes from Doka Estate, search on that and you can buy it online.

Cheers,

mgcarnut

We went to a local grocery store in town and purchased nearly ten pounds of coffee. If I remember correctly the brand we bought was Ono. There was Blanco (light), and Oscuro (dark). We were told by locals that export of coffee is controled and only the best coffee remains in the country for resale!

The brand you are talking about is Oro - and it is fabulous.

We got " hooked" on CostaRican coffee about 10 years ago, when we could ordered it on board and get it shipped home for free. Those time are long gone, but every time we are in Costa Rica, we go to the local supermarket and buy it there. Make it best gift ever. All my friends can't wait for me to go on another cruise and bring them coffee.

If my memory serves me correctly half of kilo (250 g) of Oro was about $2 + a year ago.

Enjoy

The brand you are talking about is Oro - and it is fabulous.

We got " hooked" on CostaRican coffee about 10 years ago, when we could ordered it on board and get it shipped home for free. Those time are long gone, but every time we are in Costa Rica, we go to the local supermarket and buy it there. Make it best gift ever. All my friends can't wait for me to go on another cruise and bring them coffee.

If my memory serves me correctly half of kilo (250 g) of Oro was about $2 + a year ago.

Enjoy

Thanks for the correction. I guess my mind is a little foggy without a good cup of coffee!

One warning about buying coffee in many of the Spanish countries including Costa Rica is that some coffee, particular dark blends sold in supermarkets, have sugar added during the roasting operation so aren't 100% coffee. Look at the content label to see if it is a blend with sugar (% azucar listed) if you don't want that in your brew. If it is a blend with sugar it can have up to 15% sweetener.

On our recent cruise on the Equinox, there was a form to order Cafe Britt. We had to ask the shopping guide for a copy of the form.

The deal was your choice of 20 assorted 12 oz bags for $129, delivered. That worked out to about $8.60 per pound. We turned the order in on the ship and the coffee showed up 10 days or so after we got home. Considering that the Cafe Britt we saw in the shops was closer to $12/pound, it was good deal.

When we were in Roatan we picked up a pound of Copan coffee for $5 in the market near the dock. That was also excellent.

Art

Archived