Malta Independence Day

We are on the Vision of the Seas and will be visiting Malta on Sept 21st which I have just discovered is Independence Day .

We will be in port from 11am till 6pm .Can you tell me what will be closed and not available to visit.Will shops be shut and will the place be very busy.

Thanks Debbie and Pat

• 2 months later...

We were hoping to see Dosta dome and the craft village and understand these could be closed also.Can someone tell me what we can visit.

The ships tour says it is going to these 2 places is it possible that they will be open for this or not

Thanks for the help

Debbie and Pat

• 2 months later...

As we are getting closer to Independence day has any one any information what we can expect.Will the buses run on nornal timetable.Thanks for help looking forward to this port

Debbie and Pat

Hi Alll,

I lived in Malta till 2003...at that time, on holidays everything shut down. From what I know, that's not changed. Buses will run but on a reduced schedule and shops will be closed. Mosta Dome should be open ( really worth a visit you can see the bomb in the basement ). As for Ta'Qali ( crafters village ) some kiosks will be open, some closed as it will depend on if they have any organised buses coming in....it is a little out of the way, as well. There isn't anything else around there....just thought I'd mention it in case that would make you nervous about getting back to the ship. Enjoy!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Hi Alll,

I lived in Malta till 2003...at that time, on holidays everything shut down. From what I know, that's not changed. Buses will run but on a reduced schedule and shops will be closed. Mosta Dome should be open ( really worth a visit you can see the bomb in the basement ). As for Ta'Qali ( crafters village ) some kiosks will be open, some closed as it will depend on if they have any organised buses coming in....it is a little out of the way, as well. There isn't anything else around there....just thought I'd mention it in case that would make you nervous about getting back to the ship. Enjoy!

Shops will be closed but often when cruise ships will be in port they are given a permit to open so you might find certain shops, particularly those that attract tourists, open in Valletta, Mdina etc.

Usually the Crafts village and Mosta dome are on the same excursion that goes to Mdina (the medieval capital)

Once you dock at 11 the celebration festivities in Valletta will be over so there won't be any crowds about.

Buses do run but on some routes maybe less frequently

Archived