Duty Free Liquor: Ship ->US port ->Canada

If I but duty free liquor on board the ship, I presume I go through US customs upon debarkation at Miami. From there I'm off to Miami airport to Toronto. Do I have to declare the liquor purchased on board, when going through US customs in Miami? If so, what are limits per person?

Thanks

On all my Carnival cruises, the night before you disembark, your room steward will leave Customs forms in your cabin. You are instructed to fill them out and bring them with you to the Customs agents the next day. The agents then ask you the typical questions.

I THINK you are allowed to bring in 1L per person for alcohol. Carnival does a debarkation talk to let you know what is allowed per person and tells you what you have to fill out.

If I but duty free liquor on board the ship, I presume I go through US customs upon debarkation at Miami. From there I'm off to Miami airport to Toronto. Do I have to declare the liquor purchased on board, when going through US customs in Miami? If so, what are limits per person?

Thanks

It is stated you must declare your liqour. I forget the duty free limit at his point. Something like 2 liters (Im sure others will correct me on this.). If you declare it and its over the limit, Im told that they will likely waive the fee as its not worth doing the paper work for the amount of duty that is due. I have heard of folks not even declaring it. The only time it could be a problem is if they decide to inspect your bags for some reason. It will have to be in checked bags for the airlines obviously.

Enjoy!!

Thanks

:) Yes you do in Miami. You have to fill out another US Blue customs form. Also before you land in Toronto you have to fill out a Pink customs form for Canadian customs. One bottle of Liquor per person and one carton of cigarettes per person:p

You can bring back as many bottles as you want. You are allowed one liter duty free per person. Anything over this amount you will have to pay a duty on. (NOLA/Mobile it is $3.09 per liter). It is up to the Custom's agent to determine whether to send you to pay this fee. Most of them will not up to around 6 liters.

With you flying, you have to keep in mind that you cannot exceed 50 pounds in your luggage without paying an additional fee. Also you cannot have any liquors with a high proof.

Dave

As a canadian I believe you don't have to declare your liquor in the US - they don't care cuz you are just passing thru (and are not a us citizen) - on the plane you will be given a canadian customs delcaration form to complete - this is where you indicate what you have purchased (including liquor, tobacco, etc). If you are above your limit you may be required to pay! check the CBSA website for more detailed info! http://www.cbsa.gc.ca/publications/pub/bsf5056-eng.html

Thanks

You will fill out a customs form on the ship and in the area for US address, you write in "In Transit" and as soon as the customs officer sees that, he/she will just wave you through. You will receive another form on the plane to fill out for Canada customs.

The limit for Canadians is 1.14 L whether whether you are entering the US or Canada. US citizens have extra exemptions for liquor purchased on certain islands such as St. Thomas or San Juan but I don't believe that applies to Canadians even if they stay in the US before coming back to Canada.

:) Yes you do in Miami. You have to fill out another US Blue customs form. Also before you land in Toronto you have to fill out a Pink customs form for Canadian customs. One bottle of Liquor per person and one carton of cigarettes per person:p

Pink? Have never seen a pink one. LOL It has always been blue and white. We travel to and from the US about 3-4 times a year.

Archived