All things Oosterdam.............

HALleluiah

I'd like to start a thread that discusses all things Oosterdam. As a lover of Lady O, I'd enjoy hearing of how my favorite stewards are doing, what's being served for dinner tonight, see pictures with my favorite people, etc.. It seems like this could be a go to thread for Oosterdam cruisers to see what not to miss and hear which people could really make their cruise special!

Wherever the Oosterdam roams, I'm home!

I'll start us off on the right foot with a few of my recommendations! My only request is that when you see these people on the Oostie you give them a warm hug from me! (FYI - This is where everyone was stationed 12/13/08.)

SeaView Bar (Lido Deck/outside by the pool/Daytime) - Stopping to see Andrew is a must, must, must! Send him love from his friend in El Paso! His smile, friendliness, and attention to detail will keep me coming back to Lady O for years to come! Andrew has a great crew and the new guy Ray just boarded mid-December. He comes from another HAL ship and has a great personality. For those of you who know Boozy, this guy could be a close second after he finds his niche on the ship. Carlos is also part of Andrew's team and is soft spoken, but will wait on you hand and foot. When the shift change happens, watch for Romeo. There are a few Romeos on board and this one is the "lover boy" Romeo. He has a smile that will warm your heart and your glass will never be empty if he is around. Ask to see his toothpick trick! You'll get a kick out of it and he'll get a kick out of showing you!

Piano Bar - Andrew and Romeo are back to serve you until the partying is done in the Piano Bar. Swing by and give them another hug for me! Like I said.... Not to be missed. Andrew is usually in the bar area and Romeo serves. I've seen the whole Piano Bar filled and everyone with drinks and poor Romeo running around serving everyone, as fast as Andrew can make the drinks. No one's drink ran out! What a team! Check out the Filipino Crew Show and you'll see these guys perform. Last I heard, Andrew was doing the very difficult rice dance. Yikes! I fear for his ankles!

Cellarmaster - There was a change and RJ was filling this position for awhile. He is also someone not to be missed. On other cruises he was a wine steward and was excellent. Being the Cellarmaster made him less accessible to the public, but he still made a point to stop by and ensure that all was well. If he is back to stewarding or still the cellarmaster, be sure to say hello. He has a great singing voice too! Check out his solo in the crew show!

Vista Lounge (2nd floor) - We love, love, love Belinda! Ask her for advice in your different ports. We got great tips from her on what to do, what to see, and what to pay!

Like I said, be sure to give them a warm hug from me and send my love! Just mention El Paso and their favorite blonde and I'm sure they'll know just who you're referring to! Maybe you'll even get something special for knowing me! HA! (Doubtful... but you never know!)

Hi, thanks for the tips. We'll be on 'O' for the first time Feb 21st sailing (waiting to do the doc dance:D).

We last cruised on 'Z' and loved many of the staff on Z (dining, wine steward especially) and are now looking forward to finding our fav people/personalities on 'O'. Should be a bit different on O in the dining room as we are trying the new format instead of fixed dining. Thinking might be a bit harder to get to know wait staff if its different each night...but that is why we will give it a try this short cruise!

What about the SPA on the O - any comments?

SP

What a great idea to start a thread on a particular ship on the roll call board which makes it so much easier to find information about a particular ship especially when the search function might be down.

I have previously sailed HAl S and R class ships, in particular the Ryndam and the Zaandam. My April cruise on the Oosterdam will be my first time on a Vista class ship. If you or anyone else has any experiences on the other classes would you mind pointing out what some of the differences are, other than the obvious overall size and capacity?

Rochelle

We dined when we wanted and where we wanted in December. For dinner, most of us really enjoyed the Vista and having our food brought to us. The first couple of nights we sat at different tables and got to know different waitstaff. Then we found a twosome that we really, really, really enjoyed and we requested to be seated there for the rest of the week. We walked up and were seated there every time. We only made reservations once and only had to wait more than 2 minutes once, so I have rave reviews about the new system.

I'm going to post some photos with my Vista recommendations, so you can know these guys when you spot them. Priyo and Mawatra/Wamatra/Tallest Asian You've Ever Seen are who we love, love, love!

Booze, Booze, Booze was a riot in June. I'd hoped to see him in December, but he had left for his vacation two weeks before my arrival. I hope he has signed his contract and is headed back to the Oosterdam so you all get the pleasure of meeting him.

As for my other recs, I think I have a pic of RJ and a pic of Andrew so you guys can "study" and know who they are when you see them. Oh! And Rudy! He is in the Lido. I'm sure we have pics of those three. I'll look for those as well when I'm posting my servers from Vista!

Argh.... I am having a not so wonderful day and have been taking myself to my Oosterdam memories. I had hoped someone had posted something about the Oosterdam that I could savor, but alas.... nada. I'll just have to go on my own memories.

I LOVE THE OOSTERDAM!

This is a fabulous thread we are booked on the O for almost the entire month of July and love reading all your fantastic memories. We promise to add our own when the time comes!! Just keep those great memories coming! Does anyone have anything about the Lido deck? The Lido is DH's favorite spot on every ship we've ever been on. He finds a quiet corner and settles down with a book and splits his time between reading and gazing out at the sea.

We will be sailing her again in a few weeks and looking forward to seeing Erwin, the Yum Yum man for sure.

Can't wait to be on board, our cruise was amazing in every respect this last November.

This will be our 4th cruise on her and will miss her large aft cabin decks after the renovations. Going to party back there before they do!! No better way to cruise out of San Diego......

My future wife and I will be on the O for the 24 day b2b from Venice to Barcelona sailing on 18 July 2009. We are really excited! We are from the Philippines. Are the crew from Indonesia or the Philippines?

My future wife and I will be on the O for the 24 day b2b from Venice to Barcelona sailing on 18 July 2009. We are really excited! We are from the Philippines. Are the crew from Indonesia or the Philippines?

As I recall, there are about 900 "crew" members from about 25 countries. Most of the waiters and cabin stewards are from Indonesia while most of the bar staff and a lot of the kitchen staff are from the Philippines.

As I recall, there are about 900 "crew" members from about 25 countries. Most of the waiters and cabin stewards are from Indonesia while most of the bar staff and a lot of the kitchen staff are from the Philippines.

Thank you.

Magandang gabi!

I guess Malapad you won't be taking advantage of the free Tagalog lessons on the Oosterdam! It's not formal, but the bar staff are all Filipino and are more than happy to share their language and their culture.

If I had the money, I'd cruise more just for language tutors. When I come home I don't get to use any of my Tagalog!

The majority of my recommendations on wait staff at the top are ALL Filipino. Some of the guys will be home on vacation while you're there in July, but some will be on board.

HALleluiah,

Magandang (Good) umaga (morning)/tanghali (afternoon)/gabi(evening) from the Philippines!

I guess I won't. Hehehe. Ours is a pacified race brought upon by 333 years of Spanish colonialization. I suppose that comes in very handy being in the service industry. Good things can come out of really bad situations. (Though the short span of American occupation did bring about changes to our outlook and attitude.)

I'm very excited about the O. Can't wait for July.

God bless. (yet another blessing in disguise from the Spanish occupation)

Are there safes in the cabins on the O? We'll be on the O beginning Feb. 28 and that's something I've never found out...

We are just back from our cruise on the O yesterday and there was a safe in our cabin. By the way, the staff was fabulous! Visit Rommel in the Crow's Nest as well as Mydel in the the Dinning Room - both were fantastic and a lot of fun!

Are there safes in the cabins on the O? We'll be on the O beginning Feb. 28 and that's something I've never found out...

By the way, the staff was fabulous! Visit Rommel in the Crow's Nest as well as Mydel in the the Dinning Room - both were fantastic and a lot of fun!

We'll be on the O Feb 21st...which dinning format did you choose, fixed seating (upstairs) or the anytime format? So we know which Mydel will be in?

We'll be sure to seek out Rommel in Crow's Nest - we'll be in there for sailaway :) WHOOOHOOO!

SP

We had the "anytime" format and it really worked well for us. We only made a reservation one time and were always able to get a table for 2. But we tend to eat a little earlier so the dinning room wasn't that crowded. On our cruise, Mydel was the Wine Steward for the "Anytime" format. But, we also saw him up on the Lido deck occasionally.

Regarding the Piano Bar.....I believe it was Charlie (don't know his last name). Although we didn't go to the Piano Bar we did frequent Happy Hour in the Ocean Bar where David played the piano.

Hope you enjoy your cruise - we did! Feel free to ask me anything else and I'll do my best to answer your questions. :)

Hope you enjoy your cruise - we did! Feel free to ask me anything else and I'll do my best to answer your questions. :)

Could you tell me what the temperatures are in the public rooms onboard? And can we control the temps. in our stateroom? Thanks.

Archived