Why we won't sail on Costa again--Fortuna

avabro

My husband and I sailed for a week on the Costa Fortuna out of Port Everglades on February 28. We were looking forward to a week of fun, rest and relaxation. After boarding, we discovered that we had been assigned cabin 7206, which was a handicapped room. There were 2 single beds which could not be moved together. Although we recognize that this room assignment was not the fault of Costa, we asked Customer Service if there was another cabin available. We were informed that the ship was fully booked and there was nothing they could do. We were asked to check back on Monday to see if there were any "no-shows". We checked back repeatedly all day Monday and after being told late that afternoon that there were still no other cabins available, we decided to unpack. Lo and behold a miracle happened. We were notified around 8:00 pm Monday evening that indeed there was another cabin available (1346) and after checking it out we decided to move. Since it was in a lower category than what we had booked, we were asked to sign a waiver. On Tuesday morning we asked the cabin steward how this cabin became available and were told that the previous occupants had requested to be moved because the room was too noisy and they could not sleep. We were not advised that this cabin was over the engine and therefore could be noisy. Although we did hear some rattling and knocking Monday and Tuesday , it was not until Wednesday night and Thursday morning that we heard loud, intermittent banging. In fact we were awakened at 4am on Thursday by the sound. We called Customer Service and reported the problem. They sent someone to our cabin to listen. He confirmed what we had heard and notified engineering. He called us to report that the engineer had found something loose in the engine room and fixed it. The banging started again, temporarily at 6am and we again requested a room change. We were told that that was the sound the boilers make when they start up, but there was nothing available and they would make note of our request. When we asked why they would give us a cabin that others could not sleep in, they said that some people are lighter sleepers than others. Thursday night was quiet.

When we got up Friday morning, there was a note from Customer Service regarding our request. Another miracle. There was another room available on the 2nd deck. We decided not to move because it had been relatively quiet Thursday night and it was not reasonable for us to pack up and unpack on Friday and pack again on Saturday. The banging woke us up at 6am on Saturday and we called Customer Service again to notify them. Giusepina said she would call the engineer. My wife returned to bed and the phone rang a few minutes later. The agent said we had been told about the boilers and that we had refused a move to a new cabin on Friday. When my wife tried to explain, the agent started arguing with her and then with me.

This was our 13th cruise, but first, and probably last, on Costa. The ship was wonderful, the food and entertainment were great, but the customer service agents need better training. They were not truthful to us about cabin availability or forthcoming about possible noise issues. We have had cabins on the 1st deck, mid-ship, on other ships and never had any noises that prevented us from sleeping. If we could have left the ship early, we would have.....

So, avoid cabin 1346!!

did you book a guarantee category to begin with?

I had problems with a very noisy cabin on europa. they eventually did move me and it was fine. all ships have noisy cabins, unfortunately. i had one on carnival that was horrible.

too bad you didn't take them up on the offer to move the 2nd time. at least they tried.

We actually did not have a guarantee....Truthfully, we thought the problem had been solved, because there was no noise Thursday night, and we didn't want to pack and unpack Friday, and then pack up again on Friday....We brought a lot of clothes, because we were in Florida for 2 weeks, also.....

We have only been on one Costa cruise and we were on the lowest deck right over the engines. Our room shook so bad that the safe flew open and rattled constantly. Then we were near the service entrance for the center of the ship towards the back where all the personnel entered our deck and found it to be very noisy. Costa Magica was a beautiful ship but we would never sail with Costa again.

We never did ask to be moved to another cabin which is our fault (quite thruthfully never even considered it).

Then the 5 different languages was very annoying.

The room steward was excellent and the waiters were also excellent.

The people on board were very rude. Never again.

I was on the cruise prior and also hated Fortuna...waste of air fare. I wouldn't take another Costa cruise if it were free.

Customer service is a joke! They damaged my luggage, held onto it for 4 days then said that they couldn't fix it (the wheel was torn off). The nightmare is now getting worse after the fact. :mad:

-Heather

• 10 months later...

@avabro: Have you a picture of the cabin 7206? If you have a picture, could you mail me this asap, please (wim48[at]skynet[dot]be

I'm a wheelchair user and i search a "big" cabin on the Fortune. A inside cabin is too small for my w/c and patient lift.

Thanks

Archived