Larnaca, cyprus

GREENVIEW1

Our ship will be docking in Larnaca, Cyprus in September from 7:00 a.m. to 2:30 p.m....would like some input/feedback from cruisers who have been there. Is it possible to walk to the "promenade" from the port or must one take taxi/bus? Any information is appreciated.:)

Our ship will be docking in Larnaca, Cyprus in September from 7:00 a.m. to 2:30 p.m....would like some input/feedback from cruisers who have been there. Is it possible to walk to the "promenade" from the port or must one take taxi/bus? Any information is appreciated.:)

Hi Greenview,

Well, that's strange. Cruise ships don't come into Larnaca, they dock in Limassol.

Larnaca would, very much, like to have a harbour that was big enough for regular cruise ships and with that in mind there is an ambitious plan to redevelop part of the coast between Larnaca and Dhekelia to build such a facility. The plans for that have been on and then back off the table for the last few years.

In the meantime there's a smallish yacht marina and, apart from a fishing harbour, that's it.

So, I'm baffled. Checking your other posts it looks like you are on Prinsendam in September with this itinerary?

In my opinion it'd be worth a call to HAL to find out where you'll be docked or tendered in from. It'd certainly be easier to answer specifics then rather than speculate on such an odd situation!

If you are tendering through the marina then that brings you out at the north-east end of the promenade, Finikoudes. Pretty much opposite the statue shown in this picture; the buildings behind are the Paleontology museum.

From there it's a very easy walk along the promenade and down to the old Fort or the mosque and on to the old Turkish quarter. Or, you could go one street inland and wander and shop, ending up at St Lazarus church which is named for, and holds the relics of, Lazarus of the biblical tale.

If you can pin down more information then I'd be happy to try and assist more. For now I'm just surprised!

Mands

:)

Hi Greenview,

Well, that's strange. Cruise ships don't come into Larnaca, they dock in Limassol.

Larnaca would, very much, like to have a harbour that was big enough for regular cruise ships and with that in mind there is an ambitious plan to redevelop part of the coast between Larnaca and Dhekelia to build such a facility. The plans for that have been on and then back off the table for the last few years.

In the meantime there's a smallish yacht marina and, apart from a fishing harbour, that's it.

So, I'm baffled. Checking your other posts it looks like you are on Prinsendam in September with this itinerary?

In my opinion it'd be worth a call to HAL to find out where you'll be docked or tendered in from. It'd certainly be easier to answer specifics then rather than speculate on such an odd situation!

If you are tendering through the marina then that brings you out at the north-east end of the promenade, Finikoudes. Pretty much opposite the statue shown in this picture; the buildings behind are the Paleontology museum.

From there it's a very easy walk along the promenade and down to the old Fort or the mosque and on to the old Turkish quarter. Or, you could go one street inland and wander and shop, ending up at St Lazarus church which is named for, and holds the relics of, Lazarus of the biblical tale.

If you can pin down more information then I'd be happy to try and assist more. For now I'm just surprised!

Mands

Hi Mands....

Thanks for your response and also alerting me to the fact there could possibly be an error in the itinerary!! Therefore I just placed a call to HAL and spoke to an agent who assured me Larnaca was the port where our ship would dock.

At the moment and according to this agent, the only port where our ship would be tendered is Santorini, Greece. The cruise we're on is the "Ancient Splendors" and the itinerary and shore excursions available do list Larnaca, Cyprus as a port stop and not Limassol. Could there be another harbor area that you're not aware of ???

Actually if we do go ashore on the northeast end of the promenade, we would be happy because everything you mentioned in your post is what we want to see and do while in Larnaca. We love to walk and avoid public transportation whenever we can, so if you have any more information/suggestions, we would certainly appreciate them. Can you recommend a good, atmospheric restaurant off the beaten path for lunch??

Again thank you for your assistance. We appreciate it.

Could there be another harbor area that you're not aware of ???

Actually if we do go ashore on the northeast end of the promenade, we would be happy because everything you mentioned in your post is what we want to see and do while in Larnaca. We love to walk and avoid public transportation whenever we can, so if you have any more information/suggestions, we would certainly appreciate them. Can you recommend a good, atmospheric restaurant off the beaten path for lunch??

Again thank you for your assistance. We appreciate it.

Hi Greenview,

I drive that way most weeks; I'm pretty sure they haven't snuck something in while I wasn't looking ;-)

There is a commercial dock, just along from the marina, but the only passenger ships that currently dock there are small local ships on 2-3 day trips round the island. But, if HAL say you're in Larnaca and docking then it must be there!

So, get off the ship and walk out of the port. Straight in front of the port gates you'll see a large roundabout. Locally it's called the Port Roundabout; naming conventions cane be either convoluted or straightforward here. No prizes for guessing which this is.

Take the left hand exit from the roundabout, staying on the left hand pavement/sidewalk. A 10 minute walk will get you to a junction with traffic lights. Straight ahead on the LHS of the road is the main post office, on your left will be Larnaca's Police Station. Take that left and you'll see the marina. Turn right at the marina and you are at the end of Finikoudes, the promenade.

The sea will be on your left, numerous bars and cafes on your right. From there it's a nice walk along the promenade down to the fort and/or mosque as per the previous post. As you get to the far end of the promenade you should be able to see the top of St Lazarus church.

Regarding somewhere to eat there are plenty of places to pick from. You'll get better prices and a more authentic meal if you step one street back from Finikoudes. If you scoot around the Fort and back to the sea then you'll be in the Turkish quarter. There are some nice places there right on the water.

This wikimapia link might help give some context and scale to the above.

Mands

Hi Greenview,

I drive that way most weeks; I'm pretty sure they haven't snuck something in while I wasn't looking ;-)

There is a commercial dock, just along from the marina, but the only passenger ships that currently dock there are small local ships on 2-3 day trips round the island. But, if HAL say you're in Larnaca and docking then it must be there!

So, get off the ship and walk out of the port. Straight in front of the port gates you'll see a large roundabout. Locally it's called the Port Roundabout; naming conventions cane be either convoluted or straightforward here. No prizes for guessing which this is.

Take the left hand exit from the roundabout, staying on the left hand pavement/sidewalk. A 10 minute walk will get you to a junction with traffic lights. Straight ahead on the LHS of the road is the main post office, on your left will be Larnaca's Police Station. Take that left and you'll see the marina. Turn right at the marina and you are at the end of Finikoudes, the promenade.

The sea will be on your left, numerous bars and cafes on your right. From there it's a nice walk along the promenade down to the fort and/or mosque as per the previous post. As you get to the far end of the promenade you should be able to see the top of St Lazarus church.

Regarding somewhere to eat there are plenty of places to pick from. You'll get better prices and a more authentic meal if you step one street back from Finikoudes. If you scoot around the Fort and back to the sea then you'll be in the Turkish quarter. There are some nice places there right on the water.

This wikimapia link might help give some context and scale to the above.

Mands

Thanks again....the map link is perfect. We should have no problem if the ship docks in that area!

• 1 year later...

We are also scheduled to dock at Larnaca. Our port call to Alexandria, Egypt was cancelled for October and this port was substituted. Can you give me an idea of what you would recommend seeing from this port? We will be there from 8:00am to 5:00pm. Is there enough to see in Larnaca itself or should we venture out with a taxi or tour? Any ideas would be welcome! We love just walking around, but sounds like I need to research to see what there is. You do mention a fort, a church and the Turkish quarter--any other recommendations?

Thank you for your help.

Can you give me an idea of what you would recommend seeing from this port? We will be there from 8:00am to 5:00pm. Is there enough to see in Larnaca itself or should we venture out with a taxi or tour? Any ideas would be welcome! We love just walking around, but sounds like I need to research to see what there is. You do mention a fort, a church and the Turkish quarter--any other recommendations?

Thank you for your help.

Hi there,

Sorry to hear you're having to make last minute changes, I know there are lots of other folks in a similar situation.

You can absolutely see Larnaca in that amount of time but unless you're happy spending the entire day wandering and soaking up the atmosphere I think it might be a little light on things to fill the entire day. This page lists some of the places you mentioned as well as others in and around the town. The first eight listed are all within walking distance; those shown as Larnaca area would need some sort of transport.

If you are prepared to take a taxi or a tour then there's quite a lot that you could see further afield, depending on your interests. If you have any interest in history and archaeology then a trip to Curium [Kuriun/Kuriom] and the Temple of Apollo would be a good start. That is about 90 minutes drive from the port.

I've mentioned in another thread that the wineries on the island are very welcoming to visitors. It would be possible to visit several in different villages and get a better feel for the island, and its wines.

You probably don't have enough time to make it over to Paphos and do justice there, nor to the Troodos mountains.

If you'd rather see a little more of the island outside of the main towns then a round trip taking in some of the prettier villages might suit. A loop of the villages of Lefkara, Kato Drys, Ora and Odou, with a stop at the monastery at Agios Minas, would be lovely. It would take about 45 minutes to get from Larnaca port to the first of the villages; you should be able to get coffee or lunch in any of the villages.

Hopefully that gives some ideas of what you might do. If you have any queries do shout and I'll be happy to try and help.

Mands

Hi there,

Sorry to hear you're having to make last minute changes, I know there are lots of other folks in a similar situation.

You can absolutely see Larnaca in that amount of time but unless you're happy spending the entire day wandering and soaking up the atmosphere I think it might be a little light on things to fill the entire day. This page lists some of the places you mentioned as well as others in and around the town. The first eight listed are all within walking distance; those shown as Larnaca area would need some sort of transport.

If you are prepared to take a taxi or a tour then there's quite a lot that you could see further afield, depending on your interests. If you have any interest in history and archaeology then a trip to Curium [Kuriun/Kuriom] and the Temple of Apollo would be a good start. That is about 90 minutes drive from the port.

I've mentioned in another thread that the wineries on the island are very welcoming to visitors. It would be possible to visit several in different villages and get a better feel for the island, and its wines.

You probably don't have enough time to make it over to Paphos and do justice there, nor to the Troodos mountains.

If you'd rather see a little more of the island outside of the main towns then a round trip taking in some of the prettier villages might suit. A loop of the villages of Lefkara, Kato Drys, Ora and Odou, with a stop at the monastery at Agios Minas, would be lovely. It would take about 45 minutes to get from Larnaca port to the first of the villages; you should be able to get coffee or lunch in any of the villages.

Hopefully that gives some ideas of what you might do. If you have any queries do shout and I'll be happy to try and help.

Mands

Thanks for the very detailed information. I'll take a look at the places you recommend and if I have more questions, I will definitely post again. Again, thanks so much for the great information!

Hi there,

Mands

Great information! I viewed all the links and think we might like to go to some of the small villages or visit a winery. Can you recommend a company that might provide a driver or guide? Sounds like taxis are pretty expensive and I would imagine they could be expensive if we just get one at the port. Thanks again...Fran

Great information! I viewed all the links and think we might like to go to some of the small villages or visit a winery. Can you recommend a company that might provide a driver or guide? Sounds like taxis are pretty expensive and I would imagine they could be expensive if we just get one at the port. Thanks again...Fran

Hi Fran,

Sorry, Cruise Critic rules prohibit me recommending any company or driver.

From the posting guidelines:

Locals living in ports of call are encouraged to contribute, as long as their recommendations are general in nature. Those living in ports of call who recommend individual businesses or tour operators will find that their posts have been removed and their posting privileges may be suspended.

Hope you are able to get something sorted. I wouldn't expect that an all day booking via a taxi company would be very expensive.

Mands

Archived