Just back from cruise with 1 year old

Marksmom

We had an awesome time!!! Would do it again in a heart beat. DS was so good and the hit of the ship, with staff and other passengers. We were on carnival inspiration.

Just wanted to post about what worked for us or things I had questions about before cruising.

Stroller: we took our jogging stroller (schwinn AL). It was a life saver. Large canopy to block the sun, I also took a thin blanket to help with additional coverage. And a tray for food and drinks. DS slept in the stroller more than I could have imagined. I do not think our trip would have been as nice if I had a different stroller. One that layed nearly flat was a must for us. I didn't have much difficulty navigating the ship or elevators with it. However, it did not fit through our room door without being folded and carried in. So we basically left it parked in the hall during the day and brought it in at night. Sometimes we carried the stroller (with DS in it) up or down stairs if it was easier/faster. Several staff members offered their help with this as well as other passengers.

Crib: we requested a crib, it wasn't in our room but our steward brought it upon request. It was a white metal, portable crib. A flat sheet was used to wrap the mattress. We used towels or DS' blanket to roll up as a bumber pad b/c the crib was smaller than he was used to and he moves a lot in his sleep.

Food: milk was available pretty much all the time. It was out on the buffet at breakfast, lunch and dinner so that was not a problem. I took some of the new Gerber Graduate smart sips (sort of like pedisure) for port days since they don't need to be kept cold. Breakfast was the easiest meal, yogurt banana and cheerios are his regular breakfast anyway so that was easy. There was plenty of fresh fruit, eggs, oatmeal etc. that he would eat also. Lunch we could usually find something, he eats a lot of rice and that was always around. There was also always mashed potatoes. Lunch and dinner I also used some Graduates pasta pick ups. No problem getting a high chair for the lido buffet (inside not poolside) asked the hostess and had one at the table within minutes, but they were usually sitting around the walls if we needed to get one our self. I also ordered any entree or sides from the dining room that I thought he might want. I made sure I had plenty of snacks (puffs goldfish etc) for the dining room. I used bibsters for meals (disposable bibs) which was nice. I had all my own food, water and juice for ports.

Shower: we put a towel on the drain for a little depth and just used the handheld shower head as quick as we could.

Really would have been worth it to have a balcony. It didn't work out that great having DS in the room with us trying to get him to sleep. I meant to bring our baby monitor b/c my parents room was directly next door but left it at home. The rooms were much more sound proof that I would have thought was possible. Next time I would spring for a balcony but wouldn't let not being able to afford one keep me from going.

That's all I can really think of right now but if I think of more I'll add it. Feel free to ask questions.

Thank you for that really helpful post. We are taking our 14 month old on our first cruise in 3 weeks time. We were going to take our little Quinny Zapp stroller but I'm now a bit concerned as it doesn't recline at all. Zoe never sleeps in her big pushchair even though it does recline but maybe she would on holiday.

I'm so glad your family had a wonderful cruise! We didn't take our kids on a cruise until the youngest was 4, but we did other vacations. Your mentioning the bibsters and goldfish puffs brought back lots of fond memories! :D

Thanks for the tips. We are taking our 2 1/2 year old with us. I'm kinda nervous about it. I'm sure she will do fine with the food offerings. I'm just scared that she'll be a terror at dinner time! Hubby is already dreading that! I told him we MUST try it the first night so we can see how she does. I am hoping we either get a table to ourselves or have very patient table mates!! we got a Suite so I think we will enjoy having a few drinks on the balcony while she sleeps. We have a Maclaren Triumph stroller. I'm really considering bringing it since the cheap ones really aren't THAT much smaller. Ours reclines, too. Really glad that you mentioned that feature!!

Sounds like ya'll had a great cruise! Can't wait to go on ours next month!

Marksmom, thank you very much for the tips, and glad you had such a great trip. We are doing a cruise with our 23 month old soon (his 1st cruise) and hope we will have a smooth ride as well. :)

Msublonde, I am really afraid of dinner as well, and we are doing celebrity which is not the most family friendly line... we will try it the first night and see how it goes, but are ready to eat in the buffet every day if needed. I am willing to sit only with others only if there are other kids too, otherwise we will ask to sit alone. Otherwise it would be very uncomfortable for everybody.

We are taking a big stroller, it will come in handy for naps on port.

Archived