If you could go anywhere to get OW Cert, where would you go?

SingingPixie

I'm contemplating a land vacation in summer 2011 (my next open vacation time slot) to get my OW certification. I don't want to do my check-out dives here, where my only option is a cold and murky quarry. I'm just not comfortable with getting in there. Depending on where I go, I'd either do a referral from my local dive shop, or I'd do the whole class there (basically, if there is a bunch of other stuff to do in the area, I might as well save vacation time and do my pool work at home, but if the location is pretty much diving-only, I'd do it all on the trip). Right now I'm thinking either the Keys or Bimini in the Bahamas (bonus points for being able to do the wild dolphin encounter there- it's a bucket-list thing). Cozumel would probably be easier, but I've been there twice on cruises, and already dove the Palancar Gardens- I think I want to go somewhere new. I've toyed with Belize because I've aways wanted to do a land vacation there, but I think I'd rather save that for a time I can have a little more budget- plus if I wait to have a few more dives under my belt after certification, I can dive the Blue Hole.

Budget is definitely a consideration. I'd like to keep "vacation" costs to under 1000 if possible (flights/hotel/dive package/other excursions, although I know that instruction and gear will be a separate consideration).

Any thoughts?

I'm contemplating a land vacation in summer 2011 (my next open vacation time slot) to get my OW certification. I don't want to do my check-out dives here, where my only option is a cold and murky quarry. I'm just not comfortable with getting in there. Depending on where I go, I'd either do a referral from my local dive shop, or I'd do the whole class there (basically, if there is a bunch of other stuff to do in the area, I might as well save vacation time and do my pool work at home, but if the location is pretty much diving-only, I'd do it all on the trip). Right now I'm thinking either the Keys or Bimini in the Bahamas (bonus points for being able to do the wild dolphin encounter there- it's a bucket-list thing). Cozumel would probably be easier, but I've been there twice on cruises, and already dove the Palancar Gardens- I think I want to go somewhere new. I've toyed with Belize because I've aways wanted to do a land vacation there, but I think I'd rather save that for a time I can have a little more budget- plus if I wait to have a few more dives under my belt after certification, I can dive the Blue Hole.

Budget is definitely a consideration. I'd like to keep "vacation" costs to under 1000 if possible (flights/hotel/dive package/other excursions, although I know that instruction and gear will be a separate consideration).

Any thoughts?

We just returned from a southern caribbean cruise and my wife did her 4 open water dives in St. Lucia and St. Croix. I am already certified and have dove everywhere from the Keys, South Pacific, Puerto Rico, Cozumel, most of the Southern and Eastern Caribbean and the Virgin Islands. Some of the best dives for open water cert can be found in the US virgin islands. There is a dive operation in St. Thomas called Blue Island Divers that is fantastic and has a mix of wreck and reef dives available. DJ and Annabel run the shop and are fantastic PADI instructors. If you go for the week you can travel back and forth from the BVI's (bring a passport) as well as St. Johns. On our most recent cruise, my wife finished her dives in St. Croix at Cane Bay and I may never have seen a more beautiful dive site. The wall was amazing and it is a shore dive making it very easy to do as an open water check out. The dive shop there was Cane Bay Divers and I would highly recommend them and try to get Lisa as your divemaster. The nice thing about the USVI is that assuming you are from the states, the currency hasn't changed, the expense is rather low, and flights go in and out of these islands from the US pretty regularly so transportation is simple.

Archived