Alaskan Cruise..... for Honeymooners?

shoegal24

Hi there,

Fiance and I were seriously considering doing a Crystal Alaskan Cruise for our July 2011 honeymoon, but now we realize that we just can't justify that $10,000 pricetag. So instead, we want to use $5,000 on a honeymoon, and get a top of the line hot tub for our backyard with the other 5 :)

I'm wondering if anyone can provide some insight or feedback into their experience on sailing to Alaska with Celebrity.

1. What was the service like?

2. Was breakfast / lunch and dinner crowded?

3. How were the shows?

4. Were there a lot of kids on the cruise?

5. How are the rooms?

6. Do you feel crowded, or are there lots of chairs available by the pools / spots at the bars?

7. Think this is a good choice for a honeymoon? (Some people think we are crazy for not going somewhere exotic and warm.)

Thanks to those who apply! I really appreciate any feedback I can get.

We did an Alaskan cruise on Celebrity for our Honeymoon in 2002. This past February we did Antarctica on Celebrity Infinity. People think we are crazy for not going somewhere warm too - especially since we live in the Arctc. Our past expericence on Celebrity was wonderful. The service was great and the staff were amazing. As most of our days were sea days we ate lunch in the main dining room most days and it was very good. The buffet tended to be much more crowed. I went to the MDR for breakfast one day - it was not crowded but the selection was not great and it ended at 9:00am so most days we missed it. On our Alaskan cruise we had an inside room and Antartca a balcony. Both rooms were small but well layed out. I would highly recommend the balcony. I don't remember alot of kids on our Alaskan cruise, on our past one there were only 35 - one of them being ours. However, over Christmas the same ship had over 300 kids so it really depends. We loved the infinity and would sail them again in a heartbeat. However, if you are looking for lots of night life you may want to check others lines. I can't comment on it as we didn't go to the club at all this past trip but from what I hear it is quite mellow. The ship never felt crowded, I don't know about chairs by the pool as I can't remember back to 2002 and on the past one the pools were usually closed as were the decks due to winds. Hope that helps a little bit. I think it's a great idea for a honeymoon!

Although I have not sailed to Alaska on Celebrity, I have sailed on Celebrity, sailed to Alaska (on a different line), and done a cruise as a honeymoon. I can say that Celebrity is a great cruise line (it is my favorite of the three lines I have sailed on) and Alaska was one of my favorite destinations. The pools are not likely to be crowded as it will generally be too cold for swimming. There will be less children than on a line like Carnival or Royal Caribbean, but since the Alaska season coincides with spring break, there will be some.

Here are a few tips:

*Alaska cruises out of Vancouver are more desirable than Seattle because the water often is a bit choppy on the first and last day of a Seattle based cruise, and you arrive to nice scenery faster when sailing out of Vancouver.

*Celebrity currently has two ships in Alaska - Infinity and Millennium; I'd recommend Millenium as she is a newer ship with more features.

*You may not be able to do Alaska even on Celebrity with a $5,000 budget without cutting corners. Most people like to book a stateroom with a balcony in Alaska to take in the scenery and that costs $$$. Also, shore excursions are very expensive in Alaska. With a Caribbean style cruise, it is easy to just hit the beach and save money when at port, but in Alaska people often want to do excursions such as trekking on a glacier, sledding with the dogs, helicopter flightseeing etc. all of which can cost $200 to $400 per person or more. Then factor in airfare, tips, money for alcohol and specialty restaurant, spa, gambling, souvenirs, pre-cruise hotel (it is always wise to fly to port the day before the cruise to lessen chance of missing the ship) and Alaska can easily cost $7,000 to $8,000 or more.

This is a great site to do research for your trip to see if it is what will be best for you, and if so to assist you in planning. Congrats on your upcoming wedding.

*Celebrity currently has two ships in Alaska - Infinity and Millennium; I'd recommend Millenium as she is a newer ship with more features.

Actually, according to the Celebrity website the inaugural date for Millennium is 2000; for Infinity it is 2001.

Infinity and Millennium are sister ships; very similar to one another.

IMO Alaska is a more active, nature based cruise with a lot of emphasis on shore excusions, scenery, wildlife etc. That is not to say it is not romantic but maybe romantic in a different way. During the summer there will be kids on the cruise as it is a very popular way for families to easily see Alaska. Alaska can also be rainy and cold in the summer or hot and sunny so if weather and pool time are really important to you I would suggest another local. Also like others said check your budget as to me it might be a little low to do a cruise and have $5K leftover. Also check your budget as $5k is not going to get you a "top of the line" hot tub installed and set up with cover but I guess it depends on your definition of top of the line. Either way you will have fun.

B.

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding. Celebrating 45 years of marriage next month on Celebrity to Bermuda and having just been in Alaska in August with Celebrity, I can tell you that romance is where your partner is. Breakfast together on your balcony, a couples massage in the spa, watching the sunrise and the sunset from the railing on your balcony or while strolling the deck, toasting your marriage over a dinner for two in a specialty restaurant, sharing a lunch ashore and discovering Alaska together will be very romantic. The nights are all yours in your comfortable bed and, though the showers are quite small for two, it CAN be done! Our honeymoon was 2 nights in Washington, DC, which was all we could afford at the time. It was romantic because we were together. Other posters are correct in that the excursions can be expensive, but you have to pick what you both want and what you can afford. Each year we have another "honeymoon" and you can too. As you become more established and can afford more and better, take other cruises and discover the world together. Remember, the wedding is only one day and the honeymoon is only a few days, but the marriage is forever. Treasure your mate and have fun in Alaska!

Archived