Safety of mopeds?

JMNL

My family will be sailing on the Norwegian Majesty and arriving in Cozumel on Wednesday 2/2. My son wants to rent a moped and although he is 26, I think it is not a safe idea. Am I being too protective?

If your son has never used one before, I suggest you talk him out of it.

My wife and I have rented mopeds on our last 6 trips to Cozumel, and countless times in other places, without a problem whatsoever.

But of course we own one as well, have plenty of experience riding one, and most importantly have experience riding it in traffic with unpredictable drivers (of witch there are many in Cozumel).

If you can't talk him out of it here are some things I would suggest to keep it a bit safer:

Wear Jeans, do not by any means ride wearing shorts.

Wear a good strong pair of sneakers, do not ride wearing sandals.

Take the scooter for a quick ride and test the brakes thoroughly before committing to rent it.

Wear a FULL helmet.

Avoid downtown, stick to the scooter/bike path.

Sunscreen, we have burned on several outings (I don't know why I don't take my own advice in this).

Keep away from sand.

I'm sure someone else will write in about how your son can be killed riding one.

You should also consider renting a car for a few hours, if you have a corporate agreement (through work or clubs like Costco) with one of the agencies it might just be cheaper (it is for us on our next trip), or just a few dollars more with insurance if you don't.

I never miss an opportunity to post my...

Top Ten Reasons Not to Rent a Moped:

10. Most Cozumel streets are one way, except where they aren't.

9. Most north-south streets have the right of way, except where they don't.

8. Patches of gravel appear in the most unlikely spots, making it easy to skid and topple.

7. The brakes on most of the rentals are not in "perfect" condition.

6. Beautiful seaside vistas take your breath away, and your attention off the road.

5. Many tourists have just been to Carlos 'n' Charlie's and are now behind the wheel of a car.

4. Taxis are racing to see how many fares they can transport in one day.

3. Mopeds have a short wheel base which makes them less maneuverable than, say, a motorcycle. (That's for all of you thinking that if you have a motorcycle license, a moped is a piece of cake.)

2. Mopeds do not have adequate acceleration to get you out of a potentially dangerous situation. (Again, for the motorcyclists out there, you understand what I mean.)

1. Given 2-10, a little road rash is enough to ruin any vacation. Going home in a box falls into another category.

Please be safe, spend a little more and surround yourself with a rental car. Return from your vacation in one piece. Mopeds are not an adventure, they are a danger.

Getting down from my soapbox now...

Sally has the right idea. You will see lots to people on mopeds up to and including a family of 4 on one moped. What you won't see is the one or 2 people who are hurt each day because of a moped accident.

Is he thinking that he wants to ride around by himself? A car is a better idea, and then everyone can go explore. One car would be cheaper than 3 mopeds too.

Your help is really appreciated. I will talk my son out of the mopeds, for sure. He thought it would be a carefree way to travel with his girlfriend. A rental car seems like such a better idea.

Archived