sideways cabin - what is it? (Century)

jwright98

Hi. I will be booking a Century cruise for December, and looking at CC. I have come across a reference on this board related to "sideways" cabins. What are they (and where are they)? What are the benefits? Thanks so much in advance.

They are typically inside cabins and if you picture a standard room, you enter at the one end of the halway and walk past the closets and the bathroom and come out into the bedroom area. On a sideways cabin, the cabin payout is parallel to the hallway instead of perpendicular. You enter the room beside the TV and the bed is one one side and the hallway is on the other side. Room 9167 and 9161 are examples of sideways room. It is usually because there is something in the middle of the ship that needs additional room. I know that behind the two rooms above is the exhaust pipes leading to the smokestacks on the top of the ship. 9161 is adjacent to a crew cleaning room, so you hear noises from that. 9167 was much quieter but there was a white noise sort of sound that actually muted the noise from the hall. We have stayed in both and would stay in 9167 again but not 9161.

I have stayed in "sideways" cabins on both Century and HAL Rotterdam. Although the TA will say that they are the same size as the standard interior, they somehow seem a little bigger to me. When you enter the room, it is not all in front of you. In our case (and I may be recalling the HAL ship, but it is all similar) the closet and bedroom were to the immediate right, and the whole "living area" sofa, bed, tables were to the left, with the bed on the far short wall opposite the bathroom and closet doors. There was no narrow hallway to walk through to the bedroom space. It seemed to create a better "flow" They have been my favorites of the interior cabins we have "lived in."

Archived