drive through volcano

resusit8ers

Is this excursion worth taking part of the day away or should we just head to the beach? I was interested in the mud baths, has anyone done that? I would like to go to the beach between the Pitons. Is that a good beach? are there restuarants there? beach activities like snorkeling, jet skiing? Would I be able to do both, go to the volcano and mud bath as well as hit the beach for awhile?

• 4 weeks later...

I thought the drive through volcano was worth it.....very smelly and different than I thought, but interesting when you really think about it. Mud baths are close to the volcano.....beach not very close. After volcano, we drove past mud baths (my husband is alergic to sulfar so we couldn't do it), and to the beach. We didn't get much time at the beach, but it was beautiful. No beach toys like jet skis. A little gift shop, and an expensive restaurant, but I don't think you'd have time to order something and eat. We also did a waterfall swim and visited a town.

Roads are very winding.....take Bonine (sea-sickness pill) to avoid getting car sick. It is a long, long, long, long ride.....:( My daughter and I took Bonine, my husband didn't. He got very car sick.

See how many ships are in port with you. The day we were there it was very crowded. Traffic was backed up, you could hardly move. We had six ships in port. We wasted alot of our time here and at the falls due to the amount of people. I posted a pic on the Cosol thread showing the mess at the Volcano.

It's kind of cool saying you were inside the crater of an active volcano (obligatory picture standing in front of the hot stones), but whether to make it the focus of the day is questionable. We spent 20 minutes there talking to a guide and felt we saw and learned everything there was to know. Interesting, but it was only one of about 7 or 8 stops we made (we were on an tour.)

The Jalousie Beach (between the Pitons) is very much worth a day-trip, we were there for an hour and wished we could have stayed for the day. See other threads in this forum for info on day-passes to the hotel (the beach is public, but a day pass would give you access to beach chairs and equipment, change rooms, etc.) and also taxis and water taxis to there from the cruise port.

Archived