Toddler Skin and the Sun

MrsZee

I see that there is talk about rash guard shirts. Can I ask a few dumb questions? Are they used specifically for swimming? Do you use them to protect them from the sun? My DD has just gotten over a bunch of rashes and I am just wondering if I should be investing in something like that before we even go near the beaches or the hot sun.

Oh and what lip balm do you suggest for toddlers?

Has anyone used a SPF higher than 50 on their toddlers? The coppertone water babies I have only has an SPF of 50 (I believe). Should I using a higher spf on a 14 month old?

Rash guards are called that because surfers wear them to prevent rubbing a rash from their surf boards when they swim out to catch a wave. But yes, they are made of a spandexy material and can be worn in a pool. My kiddo always wears one (although, when the weather is iffy, it can make him colder than just being shirtless). You can see an example in that picture I posted earlier, the little red and white shirt he is wearing is a rash guard.

Archived