The Chef's Table expands!!!

*Mach*

Great. I'm going to be dragging DW along on the Spirit next month on the Behind the Fun tour. She could care less about that. But she is a foodie whereas I'm happy with my burger and fries on the lido.

Now I'm going to have to do this when we sail on the Imagination in November... :(

:)

How long was the experince? We did it on Princess and at 3.5 hours we had long since had enough by the time it was over.

*edit* see you just answered. I would do it with friends, but 3 hours + with strangers was just way to long in my book. YMMV.

Wow this sounds awesome, we definitely have to try it!! But it sounds like something you have to starve all day to do. LOL

Doe and Mach thanks so much for all the details.

And ummmmmmm Mach, I have to ask. Are you always surrounded by so many women????:confused::p;) JK

Cheers, Carole

How long was the experince? We did it on Princess and at 3.5 hours we had long since had enough by the time it was over.

*edit* see you just answered. I would do it with friends, but 3 hours + with strangers was just way to long in my book. YMMV.

DH amd I did it and we didn't know anyone we were dining with. Had such a good time with everyone that didn't even realize 3+ hours had gone by. These strangers have since become friends.

Do you think they will eventually have it on the Spirit? We are saililng on her next January and would love to try it again. Have a Princess cruise coming up in May and we are definitely going to try to get reservations on it.

I was telling DH about it and he thinks it's a great idea but I'm not so sure. I can't imagine what I would talk to strangers about for 3 hours, I just don't have that exciting of a life. Well I do have a crazy neighbor but that doesn't make very good dinner conversation LOL

I would love to get a signed cookbook though, that would be cool. Hmmm

Geez... we were only strangers for a bit. There was a bunch of chatting and discussion. There wasn't a shy one in the bunch!

We had a fantastic time!

Wow this sounds awesome, we definitely have to try it!! But it sounds like something you have to starve all day to do. LOL

Doe and Mach thanks so much for all the details.

And ummmmmmm Mach, I have to ask. Are you always surrounded by so many women????:confused::p;) JK

Cheers, Carole

Ummmm... no.

Although Stitch is wonderful and very understanding of my oddities I don't think she'd put up with that on a daily basis.

;)

Do you think they will eventually have it on the Spirit? We are saililng on her next January and would love to try it again. Have a Princess cruise coming up in May and we are definitely going to try to get reservations on it.

You probably noticed that the split was heavy on the Fantasy Class side... appropriate I guess as they have no reservations only venue.

I'm sure that the Chef's Table will expand to every ship in the fleet. Timing, however, is another question.

Geez... we were only strangers for a bit. There was a bunch of chatting and discussion. There wasn't a shy one in the bunch!

We had a fantastic time!

The Princess crowd we were with was just tedious.......

Half of of them were out and out snobs and just went on and on about the problems they had on their last sailings on Silver Seas or Reagent. How the caviar tasted funny or the Champagne was flat, etc. etc. on and on. (Yes i doubt they ever sailed them but it was all about trying to impress the table)

Then there was a Woody Allen character that just wanted to go on and on about how the Palestinians were the whole problem in the middle east and if it wasn't for them the whole middle east would be a bed of roses.

Then there was a Al Bundy guy that took pictures of everything including the silver wear (which i have done but this guy was photoing EVERYTHING) that went on and on about his shoe shop and his kids.

After the 3.5 hours with that company i honestly would have welcomed being tossed overboard and left for dead.

The Princess crowd we were with was just tedious.......

Half of of them were out and out snobs and just went on and on about the problems they had on their last sailings on Silver Seas or Reagent. How the caviar tasted funny or the Champagne was flat, etc. etc. on and on. (Yes i doubt they ever sailed them but it was all about trying to impress the table)

Then there was a Woody Allen character that just wanted to go on and on about how the Palestinians were the whole problem in the middle east and if it wasn't for them the whole middle east would be a bed of roses.

Then there was a Al Bundy guy that took pictures of everything including the silver wear (which i have done but this guy was photoing EVERYTHING) that went on and on about his shoe shop and his kids.

After the 3.5 hours with that company i honestly would have welcomed being tossed overboard and left for dead.

Yeah... polar opposites of the folks we dined with...

Now I know I really am a nerd. When I saw the words "table expands" and I thought it mean the table did this:

Instead it seems that when you eat at this table, YOU expand!

DH and I looked into Chef's Tbale when we were on the Dream last month but decided against it. I am not a wine drinker at all and DH prefers his Maker's Mark and Coke. That being the case we felt it wasn't a good value for us. We did go to Chef's Art one night though and it was absolutely wonderful!

DH and I looked into Chef's Tbale when we were on the Dream last month but decided against it. I am not a wine drinker at all and DH prefers his Maker's Mark and Coke. That being the case we felt it wasn't a good value for us. We did go to Chef's Art one night though and it was absolutely wonderful!

Certainly, it's not for everyone and it is fairly pricey. I'd expect that's one of the reason for the very resticted numbers...

I did tell my sister about it though. She and her DH are big wine drinkers and would probably be charged more after dinner to coveer the cost.:p I do wish I liked wine because it sounded like a wonderful evening.

You get EVERYTHING!

Fortunately, most are fairly small servings but the bass and the fillet are full size servings.

It's seven courses, all the wine you care to drink, a wonderful Carnival cookbook signed by the Chef and a group photo!

Mach,

Do you know if the Chef's Table has been implemented exactly as it was trialed?

Today's release about it mentions cocktails but doesn't mention any wine pairings. :confused:

Yes, and what about ages as I travel my teenage son - he would enjoy the menu extendly but $75 is a bit high since he's not drinking alcohol. Are under 18/21 not allowed - is there a different price for minors? That makes sense. I'm not a big drinker but I don't expect to pay less for a ticket to Food and Wine Festival if I'm the designated driver - but for Minors I would expect the price to be lower.

This experience sounds fun!

Mach,

Do you know if the Chef's Table has been implemented exactly as it was trialed?

Today's release about it mentions cocktails but doesn't mention any wine pairings. :confused:

I read the release... If they're offering cocktails the event isn't quite as done in the trials that we enjoyed.

We were offered champagne once we arrived in the galley but we DID meet at the Lobby Bar so they may have done something there...

Yes, and what about ages as I travel my teenage son - he would enjoy the menu extendly but $75 is a bit high since he's not drinking alcohol. Are under 18/21 not allowed - is there a different price for minors? That makes sense. I'm not a big drinker but I don't expect to pay less for a ticket to Food and Wine Festival if I'm the designated driver - but for Minors I would expect the price to be lower.

This experience sounds fun!

There's only one price for the dinner... $75. I imagine that he could opt out of the wine but I don't believe they would change the price...

You mean you get that whole menu?

Yes, it's called a tasting menu.

No way would I want that much food brought out, that's crazy even if it's small portions LOL

Welcome to the world of truly fine dining. It's usually a couple of bites, max.

I wouldnt' mind the steak taco or aged filet but not interested in the rest. If you could pick courses we might do it. But if it's all or nothing I think we'll skip. We don't drink either so not sure it would be worth it.

I don't blame you. It's an overwhelming experience, and a pricey one. Though this is a steal. I tried to do one of these for 10 people at a restuarant in NYC and with the special table, tasting menu, wine pairings, etc. it was exorbitant to say the least. I'm really surprised the sommelier isn't pairing wines with these courses though. While not a wine drinker myself, without this little touch the whole thing seems a bit rough and unfinished.

Yes, it's called a tasting menu.

Welcome to the world of truly fine dining. It's usually a couple of bites, max.

I don't blame you. It's an overwhelming experience, and a pricey one. Though this is a steal. I tried to do one of these for 10 people at a restuarant in NYC and with the special table, tasting menu, wine pairings, etc. it was exorbitant to say the least. I'm really surprised the sommelier isn't pairing wines with these courses though. While not a wine drinker myself, without this little touch the whole thing seems a bit rough and unfinished.

It appears to be a work in progress... tweaking here and there. It wouldn't cost any more to do wine pairings than it does the unlimited wine that we enjoyed in our dinner...

Archived