snacks and beverage provided

gulf rider

The one and only never to be repeated ship excursion that I took they had a bag lunch with a dried out mystery meat sandwich, chips and a bottle of luck warm water.

We stopped at a road side "cafeteria" and I had a couple of killer fish tacos, with some of the hottest and best sauce that I have ever had. I complamented the owner on the tacos and the sauce and she gave me a bottle. She had made the sauce herself, it was in a recycled old coke bottle with cork for a stopper. Still have some left, only to be used in moderation.

You sir, or Madam, are a true traveler.

I'm a guy, fledgling old fart (still under training), I am hoping that you and I will meet on a cruise someday or better yet wondering the streets of Merida for you also strike me as a true traveler. Michael

Well than I pack my on snack or do what you did and grab some good food out

beings I not doing the excusion for the food it really no big deal thank you all.

Definetly sample the local dishes. There is some great food in the Yucatan that is not really available out of the area.

As long as you stay away from the tourist traps it is not Tex/Mex and most of it is unique to the Mayian people. If you have time and you are a seafood lover check out the fresh fish in the eateries along the waterfront in Progreso. In my opinion the best is the whole deep fried snapper at Le Saint Bonnet.

Great advice are excursion will have us back about 4hrs prior to sailing Me and my wife will definiely take tour advice....Now the bad news no sea food or fish for me Im allergic

as for my wife and daughter they will jump right in for some good sea food I guess some chicken dish and a cold one for me.......

Oh by the way Travler353 I do enjoy good hot sauce as well. I agree not a big tex-mex fan

---WE MIGHT BE POOR BUT WE EAT GOOD----- THAT WAS MY FATHERS QUOTE...

That's great to hear. For some really good hot sauces check out some of the little local grocery stores in town. There is an amazing varity to choose from. I always bring home a bottle or 2 of some brand that I have never tried before, rarely disapointed.

Sgt, of course I could be mistaken, but I believe that just about every civilized country has agriculture laws that prevent the uninspected importation of agricultural products to prevent the introduction of plant and meat viruses, insects and bacteria. I recall, back in the day, when crossing the California state line you had to stop for possible inspection of fruits and vegtable, for the same reasons, even though coming from an adjacent state. I remember those inspection stations personally. Maybe you've been asked or seen the barrels at the custom clearing station upon reentering the US.

Maybe Traveler could add some thoughts.

Sgt. I did find this as it concerns bringing food stuffs into the US. As I said I think most civilized countries have the same concern.

Restricted or Prohibited Articles: To prevent the introduction of

plant and animal pests and diseases into the United States, the

agricultural quarantine bans the importation of certain fruits,

vegetables, plants, livestock, poultry and meats. All food products

brought into the United States must be declared. The U.S.

Department of Agriculture also prohibits the importation of any kind

of pet obtained in Mexico. Visit the Animal and Plant Health

Inspection Service at http://www.aphis.usda.gov or U.S. Customs at

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/vacation/kbyg/ for more information

My thoughts on bringing food ashore is WHY? when there is so much great food to sample in the area. I have seen signs at every port that I have been too saying that no food is allowed to be brought ashore. I have flown into and out of dozens of airports around the world and they also have all had signs up saying no food is allowed to be brought in. Some will be very specific with the list of foods not allowed. Usually such things as meat, vegies, basically anything raw and not pre-packaged.

This is an excellant articale that discuses this subject: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g150768-s602/Mexico:Crossing.The.Border.html

• 2 weeks later...

I could of used some good Hot sauce yesterday I plan on buying some while in progreso. I called and asked about the snacks they said they were not sure I think they know but dont care to tell,,,,,But since we plan on eating some really good food in progreso it does not matter. Really looking forward to the cruise.....

A couple of quick comments - when I landed in Cancun, while going through customs there were police with dogs sniffing around the passengers and terminals. They were not looking for drugs, but for fruits/vegetables. It was really cute to see the dogs alert at a particular passenger and have them have to give up the orange or banana that was in their pocket. They are pretty serious about not introducing foreign agricultural items.

I agree that you should experience some of the local cuisine and if seafood is an issue, try the pollo pibil or pok chuc which are both local Yucatecan dishes that are delicious!

Have a great trip!

Kristin

Archived