Roll Call: Norwegian Spirit - May 21, 2010 - BERMUDA!

CruisinMaterial

Just back from the Norwegian Jewel cruise and heading out on the Spirit. I'm booked and confirmed for this sailing to Bermuda out of Boston. Is there any other family / Friends of Dorothy / gay, lesbian folks out there going? :)

Let's have a blast! There was a HUGE Friends of Dorothy turnout on the Spring Break cruise on the Jewel. Would love to have that happen again. It made for so much fun in the disco for the White Hot Party and all the rest of them! :D

If you haven't booked yet there's still room to go! Looking forward to meeting my fellow GLBT passengers onboard!

~Jake

Hey Jake, I am bringing the Spirit up to you from NOLA. I am booked on the Repo for April 11th. So I do not know when the white party is yet. It should be a good cruise, not sure if I would partake in the FOD, or just do my own thing. I was on the Spirit back in August with the Folks and it was a blast. Well worth taking them again and getting a bigger cabin. Thanks for your input on the Spirit when docked at the Dockyard. Although, this cruise we will be in Hamilton, still figuring out if we are docked or tendered...? Have a good Cruise! Phil

You're going to be in Hamilton for the repo cruise? That's news. I didn't know Hamilton could accomodate a ship the size of the Norwegian Spirit. The Norwegian Dream was the biggest ship they'd had dock in Hamilton in a while and the rest are always sent to the dockyard. Kudos if you dock in Hamilton though because you are right in the center of the action! :)

Phil - The White Hot Party could be on any night of your cruise. More than likely it will have a sea day following it and it would entirely depend on bar revenues. On the Norwegian Jewel in January it was on Wed night of a 7-day sailing but on this past Jewel cruise it was on Monday night. I like it earlier in the cruise because you can find out who all the high energy people are and hang out with them during the rest of the time onboard.

Attending the FOD is hit or miss on people showing up. On the Jewel I've lucked out both times to have a fairly size-able crowd. Give it a shot and go the first day and then take it from there. It's a great way to meet your fellow GLBT family members onboard. :) You are so lucky to have Frank (Hotel Director) onboard. He's leaving two weeks prior to my sailing and Prem is taking over. I've never sailed with Prem but I'm sure it'll be good times!

Please post when you return about your trip and let me know how it went!

~Jake

Hi Jake, As for Hamilton, it is correct that the Spirit will be there, yet I bet it is by tenders... Which with tenders will be another cruise in itself...

Hay Jake, how do you stay thin? the fitness center on board is not the greatest, and sounds like you are a partier at the bars.. and yet you do so many cruises. lol. You must have great metabolism. I do lots of walking around the decks, I guess I should walk past the buffet... lol

We are pre-cruising in New Orleans on Saturday, first time there for us. I have to go unpack what I packed and really look to see if I will wear EVERYTHING...

Thanks for the reply, Phil

Hay Jake' date=' how do you stay thin? the fitness center on board is not the greatest, and sounds like you are a partier at the bars.. and yet you do so many cruises. lol. You must have great metabolism. I do lots of walking around the decks, I guess I should walk past the buffet... lol

Thanks for the reply, Phil[/quote']

Key to thinness... stress yourself out and have no time to eat! :cool: Seriously, I am constantly on the go. I work 40 hours a week, sometimes with OT up to 60 hours a week and I'm in school nearly full-time. Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays (all-day on Sat) are school days so I only have Sunday and Sunday I work out so that keeps me pretty thin. Yes I get a lot of calories from the drinks at the bar. I hardly ever eat at the buffet. If I do it's to get a hot plate to consume on the balcony at breakfast. I am always going for sit down meals or skip lunch (which is why NCL makes a killing of me when I go solo)!! Anyway, on cruises I'm very active from time of rising to closing the disco. It keeps the weight in check and I eat so much food to GAIN weight on cruises! I had a target to return 5 pounds heavier and only came back 3. :( Good metabolism too I guess! Who knows but I cruise frequently and don't have the belly to show it - YET!!!! :)

Walk-A-Mile helps. Do that on the Spirit. They usually do it every sea day. Be sure to tell Frank Hassenwinkel that Jake says hello and go to the CC meeting!! Enjoy the repo cruise and get her up to Boston safely!

~Jake

Hi Brian!

This cruise is balanced with the same number of days in port largely as the number at sea. The port days are all rolled into one though. The Norwegian Spirit is a unique ship in the NCL fleet. She's designed with Asian influence as she sailed there when she was first built for SuperStar Cruise Lines (NCL's half owner).

In Bermuda there is a lot to do if you've never gone before. Bermuda is a walking island and mopeds. You can take walking tours of most of the historic sites of the island if that is your thing. Get a Fromer's guide and they have them all in there and it'll give you as much detail as you'd get from an NCL shore excursion and it gives you exercise! Everything in St. George's is very close together and it's a quaint town on the northern side of the island (where ships used to dock but now they're too big to go through town cut).

This particular sailing I'm going on is the first time I'll be in Bermuda for their Bermuda Day celebration. Think independence day for the USA, this is what it is for Bermuda. The amount of things open will be restricted since it's a national holiday on the island. I'm sure touristy things at the dockyard will be open but on a limited schedule or skeleton staff. The action is in Hamilton where there's a big parade and other activities. This is on the Monday, May 24, 2010.

Onboard the ship there are plenty of nooks and crannies to hang out in. Galaxy of the Stars is a live entertainment night time venue but during the day it offers panoramic views of the ocean whilst at sea and a quiet place to read a book while staring at the ocean coming up. Henry's Pub is a hidden gem I think onboard. While the Spirit is the smaller of the ships in NCL's fleet she's unique and I like her a lot.

I'm eager to meet the senior staff onboard the Spirit as well. Most of them are faces I've never cruised with before on NCL so it will be nice to get to meet them all on the first sea day at the Meet & Greet. :)

Do let me know what you've decided if you book! Whatever you do I noticed you have a cruise on the Jade so WELCOME TO NCL and I hope you enjoy their product as much as I do! :)

~Jake

Thanks Jake

I appreciate the information you have supplied. This does sound tempting but there is also a cruise on the Celebrity Mill in Oct that I have been considering. If only I were rich and could cruise all the time..lol

I'll let you know what I decide on..

Thanks Again

Brian

Hey Brian!

Keep me posted on what you end up doing. It'd be great to have a nice Friends of Dorothy group onboard. Last year I was surprised there was even 10 people onboard. FOD is so hit or miss on any ship. I lucked out for Spring Break and on the Jewel and Sky this year. There's been tons of FODs onboard! Most of them know nothing about CC though. LOL Oh well... good luck with which ever cruise you do!

I love to cruise! When I change jobs I'm in for a rude awakening! :eek:

~Jake

Hola Jake

I will definitely let you know if I can get on the Bermuda cruise. If I had my druthers I would sail both but looking at buying a new home and that is going to put the cruise-play in check until that gets done...maybe my lottery numbers will hit one day soon... life would be awesome if it were all about non-stop vacationing..

Take Care

Brian

Brian

I'll let you hit the lottery after I win. If I hit and won OMG... NCL would TOTALLY love me! I'd OWN a Villa onboard the Norwegian Jewel and vacation on the Norwegian Spirit. :D

Good luck with the house purchase. They are costly little buggers! :eek:

~Jake

Jake

It looks like you will be doing this one without me..:mad: Too many things going on at once to make this one workout. Though I am still considering another cruise later this summer; either Celebrity, RCCL, or NCL...

But will be nice to hear about your trip when you get back..I will be jealous the whole time your gone..lol

Brian;)

Sorry to read that Brian. At least you gave it the good ole college try! :)

Feel free to check on the review when I get back. I'm sure it'll be up within 2 weeks of my return back. I get it in pretty early to Cruise Critic but it takes them awhile to get around to posting it. You might want to check out the Norwegian Jewel later this year as the Hotel Director will be back onboard from vacation and the DJ is the best in the NCL fleet will be back from her vacation (as of August). The Jewel sails out of NYC and goes to Port Canaveral, GSC and Nassau Bahamas. :)

I'm sure there's got to be some Friends of Dorothy on this cruise... just not sure where they're hiding but you know what they say... we're 1 in 10! :D

• 3 weeks later...

Brian - The cruise review is posted in the member review section of NCL under the Norwegian Spirit ship. It's quite lengthy as usual.

The ship has a ton of gay crew members onboard. I'm not going to call out who but it's pretty obvious when you get onboard. I'll just say that much. I was stunned in Bermuda on the last day of work I found a chap working in the Men's A.S. Cooper store when I had to go in there to get something I forgot for the White Hot Party (which was Tuesday night). He's the first out gay Bermudian I've found on the island in the three years I've gone! :eek::D Of course it was on the last day but he was very nice and was explaining that there is no one place for everyone to go and that Bermuda's gay "scene" as it stands is non-existing still. Pretty sad but he said the locals have grown more tolerant and understanding. That's a good sign.

During the Bermuda Day parade which was the Monday we were there they had a drag queen in the parade. LOTS of hisses and comments by the locals on the sidewalk as mom and I watched the parade pass. I guess BDA has a long way to go. Either way it was a quick and convenient trip for me and since the weather largely stunk when we were in BDA the ship was the attraction and it was a great time!

~Jake

Archived